Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  00:50:36  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Well, yesterday actually,
Dr Jonathan Wells delivers yet another blow to the dying dogma of darwinism
quote:
The alchemists, of course, were looking in the wrong place, expecting to find their secret in physical mixtures or chemical reactions, when transmutation of the elements had to wait for radically new discoveries in nuclear physics. Darwinists are also looking in the wrong place, expecting to explain large-scale evolution by DNA mutations and natural selection, when abundant evidence already indicates that those processes cannot do the job. When biologists eventually unravel the true organizing principles of life, they will quickly put Darwinism behind them.
Darwinists, like Marxists, tend to be blind to their own commitment to materialistic philosophy. In this regard, Darwinists are more like Marxists than alchemists. So instead of becoming, like alchemy, just a dim recollection (“someone whose name began with D”), Darwinism might, like Marxism, persist for a while (after passing into oblivion everywhere else in the world) – on American college campuses.
IDiot articles really do belong in the humor folder....

Regarding blind commitment:
quote:
From Wiki on Wells
"Father's [Sun Myung Moon's] words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle."
--Jonathan Wells, Darwinism: Why I Went for a Second Ph.D.

The Imminent Demise of Evolution, by Glen Morton

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  02:58:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Wells, thanks to "Father" Moon's financial backing (and Phillip Johnson's academic backing behind the scenes at UC), has a PhD in biology. He must have been exposed to the truths and proofs of evolution. So these words of his are lies, not mistakes. Like his HIV denial. I doubt he would test that lie by letting himself be infected with HIV.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  04:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Wells is drawing a page from Hovind's book. Remember the one Dr. Dino used to (and likely still does) tell about meeting a professor on an airplane....?
quote:
I recently found myself in a conversation with two college undergraduates, both of them seniors in the natural sciences (physics and biochemistry, respectively). At one point we were discussing alchemy, which they knew as a pre-modern attempt to transmute lead into gold. I asked them whether they could name any famous alchemists. They could not, though one of them dimly recalled hearing of “someone whose name began with A.”
Look a little familiar...?

He does seem to know a little about alchemy, though. Unfortunately, he spins it to showcase the base-metals-to-gold conjecture that wasn't as large a part of the alchemists art as it's put forth to be.

Lessee, what alchemist's name started with an 'A'?

Got one! A fellow by the name of Archelaos. He can be found in the link, a link I used on a fairly long article on the subject a couple of years back.

Comment: Wells is as full of shit as a Christmas Solstice turkey.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/28/2007 05:02:00
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  12:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Could you please link to the Hovind version of that professors-on-a-plane tale, Fil? I'm not familiar with the reference, and would appreciate being able to see how these guys plagiarize one another.

Panel from "The Rat's Generation"

On a tangent, Chinese alchemy was largely related to Taoism, and involved in the pursuit of immortality elixirs. One of their discoveries was the distillation of human hormones from urine. They would collect urine from urinals used exclusively by women, and from those used by men, and would distill sex hormones from it. And they'd use the refined hormones to treat disorders. Amazing stuff, done many hundreds of years ago.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/28/2007 13:03:26
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  13:12:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Oh I believe this is how gunpowder was found as well, but they also killed the Emperor in the process of making him immortal, via mercury ingestion.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  13:20:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Oh I believe this is how gunpowder was found as well, but they also killed the Emperor in the process of making him immortal, via mercury ingestion.

Mistakes were made, sacrifices performed for the long-term progress of alchemy.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  16:56:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Could you please link to the Hovind version of that professors-on-a-plane tale, Fil? I'm not familiar with the reference, and would appreciate being able to see how these guys plagiarize one another.

Panel from "The Rat's Generation"

On a tangent, Chinese alchemy was largely related to Taoism, and involved in the pursuit of immortality elixirs. One of their discoveries was the distillation of human hormones from urine. They would collect urine from urinals used exclusively by women, and from those used by men, and would distill sex hormones from it. And they'd use the refined hormones to treat disorders. Amazing stuff, done many hundreds of years ago.

Sorry to take so long getting back -- it's been a long time since I referenced this blather and had to dig for it. And of course, I'd lost the link.
quote:
Mr Hovind and the Professor

The anecdote of Hovind's meeting with an unnamed Professor is told as part of the "Lies in Our Textbooks" sermon. The original source was Hovind's own transcript (www.drdino.com). Hovind's words are in bold.

What you are about to read begins as a nice folksy anecdote but upon closer inspection begins to have the appearance of a work of fiction. This story is then used to spring board into a total misrepresentation of the Big Bang model. I should emphasize the current scientific opinion of the age of the universe is 14 billion years rather than the 20 buhillion years which Hovind repeats ad nauseam.

Hovind is/was a very talented hack. Go to NAiG for a pretty complete page on him.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  01:46:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thanks, Fil. Yup, same general pattern, quoting unnamed individuals who just happen to be exceedingly handy straw men.

Why, just the other day, I was on a TWA flight to Ft. Worth, and was sitting next to a research professor in mathematics, who was returning to a Bible school in Texas (the land of queers and steers). He showed me some work he'd done, a formula which he told me proved that life could not have begun by natural chemical means. I took a brief look at the formula, borrowed his pen, and circled three errors: two sign errors, and a decimal point misplaced. The prof gasped, and said, "Oh, crap! Corrected like that, this proves that abiogenesis would happen in almost any reasonable environment." He then had a heart attack and died. But I got his movie headphones and his wallet.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  04:10:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Thanks, Fil. Yup, same general pattern, quoting unnamed individuals who just happen to be exceedingly handy straw men.

Why, just the other day, I was on a TWA flight to Ft. Worth, and was sitting next to a research professor in mathematics, who was returning to a Bible school in Texas (the land of queers and steers). He showed me some work he'd done, a formula which he told me proved that life could not have begun by natural chemical means. I took a brief look at the formula, borrowed his pen, and circled three errors: two sign errors, and a decimal point misplaced. The prof gasped, and said, "Oh, crap! Corrected like that, this proves that abiogenesis would happen in almost any reasonable environment." He then had a heart attack and died. But I got his movie headphones and his wallet.

Hehehehe, I'd of gotten his wedding ring and his gold teeth as well, then written his wife to tell her that I was a medium and that I could put her in touch with her dearly departed for only a modest renumeration. Might's well go for the whole hawg.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  13:35:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:

OMG! Apart from the fact that I found one sign error and two decimal points misplaced, the same thing happened to me the other day. What are the chances?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.