Big Brother(tm)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  16:15:14  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
He's not just watching.

How ordering a pizza just got easier, if a little scarier.

I was tossing up whether this should go in humour or not, or maybe even in politics, considering it came from the ACLU. Make up your own mind (although you may need your tinfoil hat on to make sure it's really you making up your mind, and not someone else at the satellite controls.

John's just this guy, you know.

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  16:26:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
What's even funnier is when I clicked "take action" the page didn't load.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  16:27:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well here's the current status. My son opened a bank account. We forgot to take his SSN. No account, even for a minor, and not only do you need the SSN, the bank can see instantly if it matches your name. The guy says it's been required since the Patriot Act.

Next we're off to get his driver's permit. Passport and SSN in hand. Instantly, the guy at the counter sees the SSN does not match the name on the passport. They had made a mistake on my son's birth record giving him his Dad's last name but he always went by my last name. So before we traveled to Japan I had it officially changed back but haven't sent in the paperwork to the IRS. He still got the permit.

But tell me how, with all this instant checking, anyone is out there using fake or stolen SSNs? The IRS must have all sorts of ways to see those 11 million illegal workers unless they all have jobs that pay under the table.

So what's the deal here?
Go to Top of Page

Reztasohk

4 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  22:48:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Reztasohk a Private Message
Wait so...

This was derived from the callerID system used by pizza restaurants? Somebody at the ACLU must be, shall we say, quite paranoid.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  02:10:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well the question which has been suggested but is not being asked is are these guys using this data collecting of who's calling whom to ID the whistle blowers who keep telling the reporters things Bush and Co would rather the public not know? And that's completely into Big Bro territory IMO.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 06/02/2006 02:11:26
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  08:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Actually, I don't mind the caller ID that our pizza place uses. Saves time...

If I ever have to go through what the little clip above suggests might happen, I will reevaluate...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  17:08:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Well the question which has been suggested but is not being asked is are these guys using this data collecting of who's calling whom to ID the whistle blowers who keep telling the reporters things Bush and Co would rather the public not know? And that's completely into Big Bro territory IMO.

I admit I have little understanding of what the laws in the US allow, and what loopholes there may be for "special" agencies and circumstances.

Generally (and this will vary from country to country, and sometimes state to state) , there is nothing outright illegal about recording the time,source and destination of a call. Most legislation only addresses the actual monitoring or recording of the conversation itself. A huge amount of valuable information can, however, be built up by recording call routing and timing information. Law enforcement agencies have built up hierarchical relationships of various organised crime syndicates which have later been matched to insider information, and have proven to be incredibly accurate.

I personally don't have a big problem with caller ID being used by commercial entities, as long as there is some opt-out method. Most phone services allow a dialling prefix to be used which hides the caller ID data (it's actually still there in most cases, but the systems on the other end don't, or are told not to display it).

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  11:59:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Generally (and this will vary from country to country, and sometimes state to state) , there is nothing outright illegal about recording the time,source and destination of a call. ...

You got it right, John. It's called a loophole. Obviously when they saw that little loophole they jumped for joy.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  17:58:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Generally (and this will vary from country to country, and sometimes state to state) , there is nothing outright illegal about recording the time,source and destination of a call. ...

You got it right, John. It's called a loophole. Obviously when they saw that little loophole they jumped for joy.

This sort of things is incredibly common. Because of the nature of the processes for creation and modification of legislation, it's a fact of life that legislation always lags behind technology.

Try applying laws designed for "phone tapping" to something messy like web browsing, or to really mix it up, IP telephony. Now imagine the players are all in different legal jurisdictions. Let the games begin.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.