A Few Words About Creation Science
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  19:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “A Few Words About Creation Science.” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

elevate

14 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  16:21:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send elevate a Private Message
Hi there, i suggest you watch these short seminars on evolution by Dr Hovind... i used to be a believer in a combination of evolution/creationism/interventionism untill i saw these amazing seminars which show clearly the circular arguments regarding the age of fossils and strata, its a must see! Id be very interested in peoples comments after seeing this, cheers http://www.drdino.com/downloads.php?type=Seminar+Video
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  17:32:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elevate

Hi there, i suggest you watch these short seminars on evolution by Dr Hovind... i used to be a believer in a combination of evolution/creationism/interventionism untill i saw these amazing seminars which show clearly the circular arguments regarding the age of fossils and strata, its a must see! Id be very interested in peoples comments after seeing this, cheers http://www.drdino.com/downloads.php?type=Seminar+Video

Thanks, elevate, that was great! You would probably enjoy the Creation Science Fair.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  17:42:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Sorry, I tried to listen. My ears started bleeding around the time he linked the Columbine kids and Hitler to evolution. 40 minutes in and he hadn't said anything beyond his standard Kent Hovind creationist blather and sermonizing…

Mr. Hovind is a two bit Carney. (No offence to the good people who work at the circus.)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  17:48:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Sorry, I tried to listen. My ears started bleeding around the time he linked the Columbine kids and Hitler to evolution. 40 minutes in and he hadn't said anything beyond his standard Kent Hovind creationist blather and sermonizing…

Mr. Hovind is a two bit Carney. (No offence to the good people who work at the circus.)

40 minutes???!!! Jeez Kil, you are a glutton for punishment.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  19:14:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elevate

Dr. Hovind presents science by analogy and straw men. Sometimes, if you're lucky, he will present actual facts, but he leaves out the ones which would utterly destroy his position. When challenged, he will use dishonest debating tactics and rhetoric. If you ask him a question on a subject he doesn't know, he will immediately change that question to a topic like it, but one that he can actually talk about.

I can understand why people believe in what he says, especially with the average understanding of science in America being so low. But please, keep an open mind. Read some critiques of his work. They can be found just about anywhere.

And on that note, it isn't really his work. He just repeats the standard creationist arguments.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  01:52:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
i used to be a believer in a combination of evolution/creationism/interventionism untill i saw

I suspect you are being dishonest.

Hovind (he is no Dr of anything, he just had a friend of his print him up a piece of paper that claims he is a Dr) is not capable of convincing anyone to believe his claims. You have to already be predisposed to magical thinking and biased against observable reality for his "lectures" to do anything but cause you intense pain.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  13:59:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Hovind (he is no Dr of anything, he just had a friend of his print him up a piece of paper that claims he is a Dr) is not capable of convincing anyone to believe his claims. You have to already be predisposed to magical thinking and biased against observable reality for his "lectures" to do anything but cause you intense pain.

I think this is wrong, Dude. If one has very little knowledge of science and the way that science works, Hovind's arguments can be very convincing.

Many people go with the flow when it comes to science. They don't understand how or why it works, nor how knowlegde has come to be, but they just accept it at face value because some scientist says it. To them, Hovind's arguments may just seem like common sense.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.