Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  06:58:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Insane religion.....

I'll say. Christianity - just about any natural feeling or urge that you have must be evil.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  07:42:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

filthy said:
quote:
I'm reading that there are numerous, more-or-less closeted gays on various Republican staffs, and it is a mystery to me as to why. Can it be that finding a position of some petty athurority will cause someone to work against their own, best interests?

So 'twould seem.

Well, the republicans can convince millions of poor, lower/middle class Americans to vote against their own best economic and political self interest.... so it isn't really a shock that they can convince homosexuals to be openly anti-gay. It probably has something to do with peer pressure. When all the people you associate with professionally are anti-gay, you can't really stand up and say the opposite without placing yourself at risk.

Too true. But it is encouraging to see that those who blindly voted for Bush finally seem to be wising up.

As for homosexuals, compare their social status today to that of 40 years ago. They've come a long way.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  12:37:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
On a related matter:
quote:
RAW STORY
Published: Tuesday December 12, 2006

A column published today on conservative website World Net Daily claims that use of soy products leads to reduced penis size and higher rates of male homosexuality.

In "A devil food is turning out kids into homosexuals," author James Rutz claims that soy raises human estrogen levels, causing the shifts.

Who'da thunk it? Why half of the world's male popuiation must be closet, short-peckered gays and no one knew until now!

Who's this James Rutz goober, anyway. I've never heard of him.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/14/2006 17:47:42
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  05:09:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Why worry about soy when there are more likely culprits.

DDT results in female hormone exposure
quote:
This chemical, DDE, mimics the effects of the oestrogen hormone, which plays an important role in controlling sexual development.

The girls in the Belgian study began developing breasts before the age of eight, and started their periods before they were 10.

Girls may face risks from phthalates
quote:
For more than 2 decades, their island has hosted an inexplicable epidemic of premature breast development, or thelarche. The incidence there—at least 7 or 8 per 1,000 girls—is the highest known. Most of the affected girls begin developing breasts between the ages of 6 and 24 months, notes Carlos J. Bourdony, a pediatric endocrinologist at San Juan City Hospital.

In the September Environmental Health Perspectives, he and his colleagues at the University of Puerto Rico, San Juan report data linking this condition with phthalates, a family of ubiquitous pollutants. The chemicals are used in the manufacture of many products, among them, plastics, lubricants, and solvents.

These are the same compounds that a panel commissioned by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) recently concluded may harm reproductive development in boys (SN: 9/2/00, p. 152: http://www.sciencenews.org/20000902/bob1.asp).

Go to Top of Page

lpecucci

6 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  17:22:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit lpecucci's Homepage Send lpecucci a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

I'm waiting for that dumbass Bush to step forward and say, "Haggard, you're doing a heck of a job".

...and they better both be wearing clothes when he says it...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  17:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lpecucci

quote:
Originally posted by Randy

I'm waiting for that dumbass Bush to step forward and say, "Haggard, you're doing a heck of a job".

...and they better both be wearing clothes when he says it...

And standing with their hands in plain sight....

Welcome to SFN, lpecucci!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  22:58:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_4858943
quote:
An executive staff member at New Life Church in Colorado Springs has resigned after admitting to sexual misconduct and other mistakes - the result of an examination of the staff's moral makeup after the ouster of senior pastor Ted Haggard, a church official said Sunday.

Christopher Beard, who headed a ministry that trained young adults in leadership skills, stepped down Friday after admitting to "a series of decisions displaying poor judgment, including one incident of sexual misconduct several years ago," said Rob Brendle, an associate pastor at the 14,000- member church.

Citing confidentiality over personnel issues, Brendle would not discuss the nature of the sexual misconduct except to say it did not involve Haggard or a minor.
So its not with Haggard nor with a minor, but they wont specify the gender.
Tofu anyone?
quote:
He has led mission trips to 53 countries and had a role in this year's church Easter drama.
Super Adventure Club member???
quote:
In 2002, Beard was reprimanded by church officials after he staged a missionary training drill using fake assault weapons. A SWAT team was put on alert after a passing motorist thought the guns were real.
Assault weapons in missionary training. Wow. And he was reprimanded for what? Being seen?

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  04:41:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Hallelujah, Ted is cured!

Haggard says he is "completely heterosexual"
quote:
The Rev. Ted Haggard emerged from three weeks of intensive counseling convinced he is "completely heterosexual"
Praise the Lawrd!

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  07:33:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Hallelujah, Ted is cured!

Haggard says he is "completely heterosexual"
quote:
The Rev. Ted Haggard emerged from three weeks of intensive counseling convinced he is "completely heterosexual"
Praise the Lawrd!

From the article:

""He is completely heterosexual," Ralph said. "That is something he discovered. It was the acting- out situations where things took place. It wasn't a constant thing."

Why Haggard chose to act out in that manner is something Haggard and his advisers are trying to discern, Ralph said. "

So, he's completely heterosexual... except when he isn't... but afterwards he's completely heterosexual again.

Its just those pesky "acting-out situations".

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds.