Glucosamine
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  07:25:06  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message
Anyone have an opinion on Glucosamine for joint problems.
I have not read a good report as yet.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  09:00:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Neither have I. I take it, and give it to my dog. My vet thinks "it can't hurt." Haven't asked my own doc. Wonder if it helps?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  12:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'm taking it for my hip joint.

I have gone a week without them, and I think they make a difference. Not huge, but enough to make it worth taking them. The Swedish health insurance picks up more than half the bill for the pills. But then, I'm also taking Tenoxicam and Paracetamol.

Edited to add:
I used to be on Cox2-inhibitor, Bextra, but I quit them after my blood pressure sky-rocketed. 170/115 with a resting pulse about 90bpm.

Edited #2: I'm taking about 1200mg /day

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/15/2006 14:32:32
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  13:01:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
We've been giving it (in a veterinary formulation, if it makes any difference) to our Golden Retriever for years. She's 14 years old - way up there for a GR - and still runs well, though she's a bit stiffer and her hips aren't so stable laterally anymore.

So there's a bit of anecdotal "evidence" that it helps. FWIW. YMMV. IANAMD. ETC. ETC.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  14:38:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'd encountered some convincing-sounding reports over the last few years that this stuff had passed lots of tests, but I just now went and looked up some of the more-recent data, and find things like this:
Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate alone or in combination did not reduce pain effectively in the overall group of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Exploratory analyses suggest that the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate may be effective in the subgroup of patients with moderate-to-severe knee pain.

- Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis
And this:
There is now clinical evidence indicating that recommending GS, GH, and CS for the treatment of mild knee pain from OA is ineffective. Further research needs to be done to identify specific characteristics in patients that results in a positive response. Until the findings of the GAIT undergo further peer review, the results of the research needs to be interpreted with caution.

- Evidence-based practice: review of clinical evidence on the efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin in the treatment of osteoarthritis
So it turns out that (once again) reports that sound good sometimes aren't.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  15:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
I was a participant in a double blind- placebo controlled, crossover trial of Glucosamine and Chondroitin just over two years ago.

Although I have no way of knowing what I received, I do know that one of the crossovers was the real deal.

I started taking the combination of G/C 1500mg just after the trial ended and I have to say it makes a difference in my joint pain. I have knee, back, wrist, and finger pain due to osteoarthritis (yes I'm really way too friggin' young to have it, but I've had it since I was in my early thirties).

My finger and knee pain is moderate and requires NSAIDs for relief. UNLESS I take the G/K combo. Then I need nothing. I've since tried going off of it for short periods at a time and each time, the pain comes roaring back. When I take it, I require no NSAIDs whatsoever, so even though I am now a "study of one", I am fairly convinced that it is helping me.

I've not yet read anything detrimental in the clinical studies on it, so other than expense and questionable quality control from the various manufacturers, I can see no reason to stop taking it.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  20:49:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message
Yes, I have had anecdotal testimonies from friends and my brother about it's effectiveness.
I have a bit of a "dicky" knee and went on it for a month, I don't think it did anything, maybe a month was not long enough. But then again my knee is not too bad, I don't need NSAIDs.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  06:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here's the Cochrane meta-analysis on Glucosamine. The Chondroitin data wasn't available yet.

Glucosamine therapy for treating osteoarthritis - Cochrane review abstract and plain language summary
quote:
How well does glucosamine work?
Pain: The high quality studies showed that pain improved about the same whether people took glucosamine or fake pills. If all of the studies are examined (including low quality and old studies), then glucosamine improved pain more than fake pills.
Pain may improve by 13 more points on a scale of 0 to 100 with glucosamine than with fake pills.
Studies testing only the Rotta brand of glucosamine (including low quality and old studies) showed that glucosamine improved pain more than fake pills.

Function: The high quality studies show that glucosamine improved pain more than fake pills when measured by one type of scale, but improved the same amount as fake pills when measured by another scale. This result is the same whether all of the studies (including low quality and old studies) or whether studies using the Rotta brand of glucosamine are analysed.

How safe is it?
The number of people taking glucosamine who had side effects was about the same as the number who took fake pills. Side effects mainly included stomach upset and other joint pain.

What is the bottom line?
It was shown in a previous Cochrane review that glucosamine taken for 6 weeks decreases pain and improves function (physical ability) in people with osteoarthritis.

When compared to the previous review, this review which analyzes newer studies and more high quality studies, shows there is "platinum" level evidence that pain does not improve as much when taking glucosamine for 2 to 3 months. Depending on the scale used to measure function (physical ability), function may not improve at all or as much.
Glucosamine seems to be safe.

And the more complete data on osteoarthritis treatment is in this section.
Cochrane review topics - Musculoskeletal

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  06:25:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I have the usual beginnings of those joint pains. I take NSAIDS because there is some evidence taking them now decreases Alzheimer's later. But I caution that many researchers reporting on that data aren't taking NSAIDS until the data is better confirmed and causality shown. I wouldn't take NSAIDS just for the future benefits alone and I don't take any large doses.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.