New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  05:39:32  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've been saying for years that Mickey D and the other embalmed burger emporiums served little more than stale dogs-offal. Well, to all you who so hilariously scoffed, who's laughing now?!
quote:
ST. PETERSBURG -

You've heard of the worm in the apple. But the worm in the hamburger? Here's the story:

On March 20, Murielle Glockson got really sick.

She said her fever spiked to nearly 104 degrees. She went to the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital for more than a week. She racked up more than $36,000 in medical bills while receiving treatment for a bacteria infection that threatened her kidneys and liver.

So what made her so ill?

That afternoon, Glockson, 70, a retiree from Largo, ate a McDonald's hamburger infected with "little green worms," she said.

Her husband, Henry, photographed the burger and one of the caterpillar-like worms, then brought the burger back to the restaurant, 5464 66th St. N. A manager took the hamburger back and offered Glockson a free one. She refused.

Turned down the freebie, eh? I wonder why......

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  06:08:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Huh. Green worm, eh? Looks a little like a caterpillar, which should not cause e-coli problems. Never heard of green maggots, but what would I know?

Most caterpillars (some are poisonous) are probably healthier than the McDonald's ground beef, in fact. I doubt a bunch of caterpillars got into the woman's lunch by accident. In fact, the lack of actual evidencial caterpillars or other green worms, provides no indication that this is not just a Photoshop trick, or the like. )I'm reminded of the scam artist in CA who tried a dismembered finger scam with Wendy's. At least she had an actual finger to show for it, even though it eventually fingered her.)

Something made this new lady sick, then she and her hubby saw the medical bills, and (I suspect) they then came up with the worms idea.

(I recall that the Roman Catholic Church one had a Diet of Worms, and it didn't go down well, either.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/02/2006 06:09:44
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  07:09:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
She got one of the various E.colis.

It is noteble, and a commentrary upon McDonald's, that they were the ones accused of selling cataburgers.
quote:
Probably a caterpillar

Klein said maggots could get into meat if it were rotting, but maggots are white, not green. And if the meat were rotting, it would have been so putrid that Glockson would have balked at smelling it, much less eating it.

(For her part, Glockson said she was quite hungry that afternoon and ate the hamburger rapidly).

An insect expert who looked at the photo of the green creature for the St. Petersburg Times said it's likely not a worm at all, but a caterpillar of a giant swallowtail butterfly, which tend to feed in citrus trees.

This lady should consider herself fortunate. Another found a severed pecker in hers!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  09:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
That looks Photoshopped to me... though, naturally, I may be wrong.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  22:12:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Not cataburgers. Rataburgers.

A friend of mine was an inspector for the health department. He said that when they fired up the grinders for the meat, the scream of vermin was terrific. They then had to throw out the first 25 feet of burger because it had far too much rat in it.

I still eat em because I'm comfortable with eating rat.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  22:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I was under the impression rat vocalization was out of human hearing range, VD. Forgive me if I'm skeptical.

Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 12/03/2006 22:34:54
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  22:38:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I would think people would have learned from the fake finger incident this sort of thing will fail if you don't know your microbiology.

Worms and e-coli are unrelated AFAIK. Live worms are unlikely in cooked food, the one in the photo looks like a tomato worm though it is hard to tell from the pic. And if the lady had e-coli, it shouldn't be hard to trace it to the burger if indeed that was the source. DNA fingerprinting can determine a connection if bacteria are in the burger. Chances are there isn't any or we'd likely see more than one case. These guys failed to do their homework.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  22:42:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
If the worm really was in the burger, I'd guess the lettuce or tomato as the source. There can be e-coli in lettuce. The recent spinach episode actually involved the bacteria being absorbed via the roots into the spinach plants. Apparently there are cases of the same in lettuce as well. In that case the worm would just be extra protein and likely unrelated coincidence. Maybe there was e-coli in the lettuce and these idiots planted a worm unnecessarily.

I'm still going with fraud based on the fact there are no other reported connected cases.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  00:22:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, in the produce rather than the meat (it was, after aii, raw), and no telling where she got the E. coli. I rather think that this one is real. I also think she'll never get a dime out of it, thanks in large part to the Finger Lady.

I too, have no problem with rat, meat's meat, but McD's, et al, still sucks -- worst coffee ever!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  01:36:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And on a related matter:
quote:
NY Cracks Down on Illegal Mystery Meats

Dec 1, 9:10 PM (ET)

By ADAM GOLDMAN

NEW YORK (AP) - When a food safety inspector walked into a market in Queens, he noticed the store had an interesting special posted on its front window: 12 beefy armadillos. In Brooklyn, inspectors found 15 pounds of iguana meat at a West Indian market and 200 pounds of cow lungs for sale at another market. At a West African grocery in Manhattan, the store was selling smoked rodent meat from a refrigerated display case. An inspector quickly seized a couple pounds of it.

All of it was headed for the dinner table. All of it was also illegal.

Authorities say the discoveries are part of a larger trend in which markets across New York are buying meat and other foods from unregulated sources and selling them to an immigrant population accustomed to more exotic fare.

State regulators have responded by stepping up enforcement, confiscating 65 percent more food through September than they did in all of 2005.

The seizures also cast a spotlight on the eating habits of this ethnically diverse city, where everything from turtles and fish paste to frogs and duck feet make their way onto people's plates.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  22:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I was under the impression rat vocalization was out of human hearing range, VD. Forgive me if I'm skeptical.

We're talking pain vocalizations. The rats I am accustomed to make audible noises when in mortal pain. Or the classification of vermin by my friend may be erroneous. The vermin infesting the machines during downtime are definately rodent and large.

Norway rats definately make audible vocalizations. Granted, the majority of their vocalizations are ultrasonic, but they are capable of audible vocalizations.

http://www.ratbehavior.org/WhatIsMyRatDoingFAQ.htm

http://www.ratbehavior.org/norway_rat_vocalizations.htm

(note to self: self, hit the reply next time instead of edit)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 12/03/2006 22:42:26
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  12:25:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
I see a shadow and doubt photoshoping. Of course, I can not do much with photoshop but could easily fake a shadow etc. Thinking of Rafaelle Picca, I realize so much more is possible.

Rats in the grinder would be a bone fest. I doubt its worth the trouble. I don't doubt that the cow ring makes it in on a regular basis though.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Master Yoda
Skeptic Friend

59 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  15:19:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Master Yoda a Private Message
I'm stuck on the other side of the broken cable near Taiwan so can't make the news article link work, but I'll try from the office later when I get to work.

From the OP, though, there's a hole in the narrative. She ate the burger (was very hungry and wolfed it down), yet they photographed the burger? Does the article say she bought several burgers? Did she look at it, see the creepy-crawlies, have her hubby photograph it, and then eat it?

Sorry if this is described in detail, somewhere.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.