In the sky! A bird? A plane? A ... UFO?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  21:06:51  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Link

quote:
A flying saucerlike object hovered low over O'Hare International Airport for several minutes before bolting through thick clouds with such intense energy that it left an eerie hole in overcast skies, said some United Airlines employees who observed the phenomenon.

The FAA is not conducting a further investigation, Cory said. The theory is the sighting was caused by a "weather phenomenon," she said.

"I tend to be scientific by nature, and I don't understand why aliens would hover over a busy airport," said a United mechanic who was in the cockpit of a Boeing 777 that he was taxiing to a maintenance hangar when he observed the metallic-looking object above Gate C17.

"But I know that what I saw and what a lot of other people saw stood out very clearly, and it definitely was not an [Earth] aircraft," the mechanic said.

One United employee appeared emotionally shaken by the sighting and "experienced some religious issues" over it, one co-worker said.

Well? Are they wrong?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  21:36:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I think they saw something that would scare most any of us. Haven't a clue what it was, except I don't suppose it was the departing flight 2111 for Mars.

Wish I'd seen it!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  21:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
I wish someone got a video of it. Then we could have seen what it was. As it is it is just eyewitness reports, and I just can put much wieght to their testmony.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  02:08:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
No doubt there is some natural explanation that doesn't involve Kang & Kronos, or the Greys -- whoever they are.

With all of the security cameras scattered about airports these days, you'd think that at least one of them might have caught this event.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  03:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:
A flying saucerlike object hovered low over O'Hare International Airport for several minutes before bolting through thick clouds with such intense energy that it left an eerie hole in overcast skies, said some United Airlines employees who observed the phenomenon...

Well? Are they wrong?

Nope. It was a strange craft indeed!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  06:24:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Unfortunatly for Ufos, Security camera point at the ground.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  12:28:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
They're not sure what was hanging out for several minutes in the restricted airspace, but they are upset that no one in power has taken the matter seriously.

Several minutes, and still no one has come forward with photos of it?
My skeptic meter is reading orange bordering on red.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  13:41:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Unfortunatly for Ufos, Security camera point at the ground.

No wide angle lenses on top of buildings? I don't spend a lot of time at airports -- read: none -- but if I were doing security, there'd certainly be some. Hell, even Wal-Mart has them in their parking lots.

I think that this one will fit nicely into standard, UFO legend: "We seen it, but it ain't there no more! Them aylians skedaddled in a hurry!"

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  13:50:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
UFO at a busy airport and no one had a digital camera in a carry on bag? Now that is the strange phenomenon, screw the ufo lets investigate these witnesses. Clearly, they are from another planet.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  15:07:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

UFO at a busy airport and no one had a digital camera in a carry on bag? Now that is the strange phenomenon, screw the ufo lets investigate these witnesses. Clearly, they are from another planet.

Abso-freakin'-lutely.

When a talentless nobody gets out of cab with no underwear on, there are dozens of photo's to choose from, but thousands of people in an airport can't provide a single usable image of a phenomenon which lasted "several minutes". Right.

I just did an (admittedly brief) google images search, and couldn't find anything of import.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Denwash

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  16:07:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Denwash a Private Message
That's 'cause those aliens have anti-camera technology, everybody knows that. (One of em turned me into a newt)
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  16:07:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Denwash

That's 'cause those aliens have anti-camera technology, everybody knows that. (One of em turned me into a newt)

Did you get better?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  19:00:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
One thought: The alleged witnesses may all be pretty good observers, but maybe they saw a remote controlled saucer?

http://www.microrccars.net/hovercopter/

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.