Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  16:45:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Is this the ol', "You didn't say what I wanted to hear, so screw you."?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  17:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Something like that. I think he is just a little desperate.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  17:36:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
That's exactly the sort of reaction that partially prompted me get out of the psoriasis-info "business" a few years back.

You tell them where to go if they want compassion, and you tell them you're not going to sugar-coat anything, but they refuse to believe you and so get tremendously upset when you give them the unvarnished straight dope.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  18:20:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's exactly the sort of reaction that partially prompted me get out of the psoriasis-info "business" a few years back.

You tell them where to go if they want compassion, and you tell them you're not going to sugar-coat anything, but they refuse to believe you and so get tremendously upset when you give them the unvarnished straight dope.

Well, the alternative medicine industry may not provide many cures, but it does offer hope. And that can be a strong inducement, as evidenced by the fact that it is a multi-billion dollar industry and growing.

It doesn't take much to become the evil skeptic. Sometimes, a bit of honesty will get you there.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  19:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jazgarota

I wasn't going to reply this time but oh well. I think it's important that you know what you sound like. COCKY! It's amazing that people want to talk to you. This little time I've spent here has only confirmed what I think of these sites. You're so self absorbed and you have nobody to really listen to you so you post it on you-tube or sfn in hopes to make your self feel better. Your an attention craver. And once again you leave a bad taste in my mouth. I thought I was talking to considerate people who could possibly relate to my situation, though now I realize you just want to boast and not really try to help anyone. Here's a clue- nobody cares how smart you are. I personally think your pathetic. And maybe you'll learn not to take everything at face value. (it's healthy to drink apple cider vinegar for your PH, among other things). When you've read everything the NPF has to offer, you tire. I've done it for years!!! Along with 99% of the other treatments you've listed. I think you're the ingnorant one to assume you know what a person is educated on. Lastly I hope you waste alot of time listing your stank replies to me on this subject. I will never give you the satisfation of coming back here to read them.So reply away!!!!!
-Ps. Did your mother teach you to treat people with such compassion or were you just born rotten.
-Pps. Dear DAVE. Love-Jaz xoxo

Well, you really have the nerve, to treat Dave's and other's attempts to help with such a contemptuous disregard. Nobody else reading this saw any such attitude as you perceive in Dave.

It seems you don't want to know the truth, even when the truth may simply be, "I don't know." Instead of researching with a critical mind, I suspect you are trying every harebrained quack remedy that comes down the pike. When (and it will, someday) a cure or effective treatment comes along, your head may be too full of quack crap to recognize it. For some people, the challenge of a chronic disease makes them stronger and wiser. For others, sadly, it makes them desperate, rude, and dumber one day to the next.

You got my sympathy. I know it wasn't much, but it was free. Now give it back.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  10:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

[quote] I actually think it's odd we don't get more people with psoriasis popping in to the SFN.

I have had psoriasis since I was 7 (Iīm now 33), although I did not come to this website for cures on psoriasis, though, but for the stimulating debates and the critical thinking.

Iīve tried lots of treatments in these past 27 years, treatments in the USA, in England and in Argentina. The few treatments that did work only attacked the symptoms not the disease itself. All the patches would clear-out, however once I stopped the treatments, it would all come back within one or two weeks.

I would have indefinitely used these methods that cleared the patches if it wasnīt for the fact that in doing so I would be putting myself at risk since itīs quite dangerous to do so, specially with the use of corticoids.

I think for the moment the way to go for psoriasis sufferers is to implement a good diet, being outdoors in the sun and water as much as posible (careful with too much sun, though), not smoking (unfortunately I donīt abide that one), not drinking alcohol (I donīt abide that one either!), applying lots of hydrating creams and try to reduce stress anyway you can.

Itīs not easy, and the results may vary greatly (mild to no results) but at least it wont harm you and it will probably make you healthier.

On another subject: I have not perceived sarcasm, cockiness or any other negative replies made from the people here at SFN. On the contrary!

Jazgarota is either very desperate or doesnīt know how to interpret these texts.

Cheers!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  15:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I'm curious, perrodetokio, how does alcohol and smoking affect psoriasis?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  18:49:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by perrodetokio

I think for the moment the way to go for psoriasis sufferers is to implement a good diet, being outdoors in the sun and water as much as posible (careful with too much sun, though), not smoking (unfortunately I donīt abide that one), not drinking alcohol (I donīt abide that one either!), applying lots of hydrating creams and try to reduce stress anyway you can.
The above is pretty much good advice for everyone, not just people with psoriasis.

And I know I'm not perrodetokio, but smoking and alcohol use are both "associated with" psoriasis, Ricky. My article, "Smoking and Psoriasis" addresses one of the two in fairly good detail, and explains the "associated with" bit fairly well, also.

I never did get around to writing an article on alcohol and psoriasis, but from what I remember, it's pretty much the same deal: a high correlation between alcohol use (and abuse) and psoriasis, and various people claiming that quitting makes psoriasis better, or that a first beer coincided with first psoriasis symptoms.

It's nearly impossible to do proper testing on these things, because doctors can't really ethically tell a person to keep on drinking and/or smoking, so a control group is out.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  18:57:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And I forgot to mention: psoriasis is also "associated with" obesity. When compared to the general population, psoriatics tend to smoke more, drink more and weigh more.

We with psoriasis, in other words, tend towards being fat, drunk smokers.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Caledonia

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  12:34:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Caledonia a Private Message
Hey, I'm new here. Another skeptic with psoriasis (and likely psoriatic arthritis.) I am skinny and I do not smoke. Have about one drink a week. Anyway, the NPF board drives me nuts with their complete ban on questioning any alt medicine suggestions, no matter how wacky!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  12:45:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Welcome to the SFN, Caledonia!
quote:
I am skinny and I do not smoke. Have about one drink a week.
Yeah, that's why the word "tend" was in there.
quote:
Anyway, the NPF board drives me nuts with their complete ban on questioning any alt medicine suggestions, no matter how wacky!
Has it gone to a complete ban, now? Last I read, they just didn't want people to burst into threads that discussed alt meds with posts ridiculing alt meds, but you could have other threads discussing the problems with alt meds. They had a policy going the other way, also (no rudely poo-pooing mainstream meds).

Oh, wait: which NPF board are we talking about? The NPF forums are one thing, but the NPF Board of Trustees, while they may have personal disagreements with alt meds, have decided that in the interest of inclusiveness, they won't actively criticize any alt meds in any of the NPF publications (newsletters and the like). They'd much prefer to avoid alienating any psoriatics out there, so they'll keep reading and supporting NPF.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  13:36:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Caledonia

Hey, I'm new here. Another skeptic with psoriasis (and likely psoriatic arthritis.) I am skinny and I do not smoke. Have about one drink a week. Anyway, the NPF board drives me nuts with their complete ban on questioning any alt medicine suggestions, no matter how wacky!

I hate when people try and allow stupidity in the name of hope. I don't have psoriasis, but I can see how that would compound the scenario being a first hand sufferer of what people are desperately seeking relief from at the cost of rationality.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Caledonia

2 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  08:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Caledonia a Private Message
You are allowed to start a seperate thread on your own topic, but it is still frustrating to read the alternative threads where people say such ridiculous things and you can't interject any skeptical comments. And yes, you can't start going on about "evil doctors" in the conventional med threads. So it is a strange board with these hermetically-sealed discussions going on. But I guess they figure otherwise people will be fighting all the time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.