New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  14:08:35  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Scientists needed to assist in global warming debate. No experience necessary.

Looking for PhDs who want to earn fast cash in the newly lucrative field of Atmospheric Studies. Work from home. Registered Republicans prefered.
quote:

Scientists and economists have been offered $10,000 each by a lobby group funded by one of the world's largest oil companies to undermine a major climate change report due to be published today.

Letters sent by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), an ExxonMobil-funded thinktank with close links to the Bush administration, offered the payments for articles that emphasise the shortcomings of a report from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

I'll write the essays and all the applicant(s) have to do is sign and submit them. All booty procedes are shared evenly between author and submitter(s).

Apply now for a brief but exciting and well compensated future in toadying!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  22:35:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That's pathetic! There's sure to be a number of real scientists who will take them up on it, too, out of either greed or financial desperation.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  23:46:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Actually, the real scientists think that anyone who thinks real scientists will be so easily swayed are being insultingly naive about scientists.

The real danger, they say on NPR, is simply the end-run around peer-review that this process entails.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  02:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
They already have a small number of people who can hang PhD on their door who are willing to dispute climate warming, they've been doing it for 2 decades.

I'm not sure how they think this bounty will help them, as it clearly damages their credibility and could possibly ruin the career of anyone who wrote a piece for the money.

At first read I thought the story was propaganda from some retarded green peace style lunatic environmentalist anti-corporate group.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  03:54:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

They already have a small number of people who can hang PhD on their door who are willing to dispute climate warming, they've been doing it for 2 decades.

I'm not sure how they think this bounty will help them, as it clearly damages their credibility and could possibly ruin the career of anyone who wrote a piece for the money.

At first read I thought the story was propaganda from some retarded green peace style lunatic environmentalist anti-corporate group.

As a retarded, Green Peace-style-lunatic environmentalist, and anti-corporatetist in good standing, I was hoping it was a spoof. This is the sort of thing would give the rest of us a bad name, were it to come out that we'd resorted to such political knavery.

But alas, it is not a spoof so now all we can do is wait for the essays to be touted published and read them for the laughs, as well as to learn the identity of the quacks who took the thirty pieces of silver.

I've said it before: esoteric letters behind a name does not a scientist make....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  05:50:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Actually, the real scientists think that anyone who thinks real scientists will be so easily swayed are being insultingly naive about scientists.

The real danger, they say on NPR, is simply the end-run around peer-review that this process entails.

I would agree that most, almost all, scientists would be immune from the temptation, which makes scientists in general notably divergent from the general population in holding to their ethics. But some, just a few, would take the money and write. Desperation or greed would do it.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  05:54:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
If this blatant solicitation of scientific whores works for the petroleum lobby, I gotta wonder: Will Ahmanson's Discovery Institute try it next?

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  15:29:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
I would agree that most, almost all, scientists would be immune from the temptation, which makes scientists in general notably divergent from the general population in holding to their ethics. But some, just a few, would take the money and write. Desperation or greed would do it.

It's tempting to set up a psudonym, and then gets me one of dem "degrees from non-accredited universities" I'm always getting email from. I could probably sleep at night with some of some of their cash stuffing my pillow.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  23:57:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
filthy said:
quote:
As a retarded, Green Peace-style-lunatic environmentalist, and anti-corporatetist in good standing, I was hoping it was a spoof.

filthy, you are nothing like the imbeciles who populate the green-peace of today. They don't require evidence and make ridiculous claims.

I consider myself to be an ardent environmentalist. But I won't be associated with green-peace or like groups. If legtimate science indicates the need for protection or conservation, I'm 100% behind it.

If you meant the green-peace of old (well, old for me ) then we aren't really talking about the same thing. Back when the organization was founded it was doing good stuff. Anti nuke protests, interfering with whale hunting and seal clubbing, etc.

But when they start sponsoring protests (fear mongering, essentially) about gene modified crops and staging WTO protests, they move beyond the realm of evidence based environmental activism.

They are no longer, imo, respectable.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 02/04/2007 23:58:04
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  04:40:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Give me the money, I'll do it.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  07:57:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

filthy said:
quote:
As a retarded, Green Peace-style-lunatic environmentalist, and anti-corporatetist in good standing, I was hoping it was a spoof.

filthy, you are nothing like the imbeciles who populate the green-peace of today. They don't require evidence and make ridiculous claims.

I consider myself to be an ardent environmentalist. But I won't be associated with green-peace or like groups. If legtimate science indicates the need for protection or conservation, I'm 100% behind it.

If you meant the green-peace of old (well, old for me ) then we aren't really talking about the same thing. Back when the organization was founded it was doing good stuff. Anti nuke protests, interfering with whale hunting and seal clubbing, etc.

But when they start sponsoring protests (fear mongering, essentially) about gene modified crops and staging WTO protests, they move beyond the realm of evidence based environmental activism.

They are no longer, imo, respectable.

Yeh, I know. Just givin' yer chain a rattle -- it worked, too.

All things except concrete evolve, and time even weathers and cracks that. Green Peace is indeed no longer the organization it was. Where it will go from here is anyone's guess.

I find the offer from AEI incredibly stupid. In the first place, the money is too small. Few if any scientists with any credibility at all are going to risk their reputations and standing for what is essentially chump-change. It makes me think that they don't care what sort of quacks they recruit as long as said quacks can write semi-coherently and don't mind being told what to say.
quote:
It's tempting to set up a psudonym, and then gets me one of dem "degrees from non-accredited universities" I'm always getting email from. I could probably sleep at night with some of some of their cash stuffing my pillow.
Exactly!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:12:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

How about this guy?

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/global-warming020507.htm

He does have a little experience but let's not hold that against him.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  14:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message
quote:

Looking for PhDs who want to earn fast cash in the newly lucrative field of Atmospheric Studies. Work from home. Registered Republicans prefered.
quote:

Scientists and economists have been offered $10,000 each by a lobby group funded by one of the world's largest oil companies to undermine a major climate change report due to be published today.

Letters sent by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), an ExxonMobil-funded thinktank with close links to the Bush administration, offered the payments for articles that emphasise the shortcomings of a report from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

I'll write the essays and all the applicant(s) have to do is sign and submit them. All booty procedes are shared evenly between author and submitter(s).

Apply now for a brief but exciting and well compensated future in toadying!

Does this mean that if I apply but after I do the research/studies the data tells me that the reports on global warming do not have shortcomings I won't get paid the ten grands?

Cheers!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  15:24:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bill scott

quote:

How about this guy?

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/global-warming020507.htm

He does have a little experience but let's not hold that against him.

Sure, why not? Like the rest of us, he could probably use a few bucks...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  00:44:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
I heard this on climate change disinformation (MP3 Format) on my faouvorite radio station during a syndicated show called Earth and Sky.

Sounds like Exxon Mobil is giving up on funding the climate change deniers. I think Exxon Mobil still deserves a rubber rock bit award for persisting this long.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 02/06/2007 00:45:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.