Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  23:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis
[
quote:

A Muslim prayer at a high school football game in Dearbornistan?

School sponsered? No. The mosque? What? Oh so, it would be ok if it was your religion, but the Muslims can't even pray in their own mosques? What is the matter you afaid Allah's football team will kick your god's team's ass?

Where can I find Dearbornistan? Turkey? Libya? Iran? Iraq? She says it like it was an American city, but I've never heard of it.

(checking wikipedia)
Aha... Dearborn, Michigan. Home of Henry Ford's first T-Ford plant.
So it was a racist slant by her. As a professed Jew, I thought she should have known better.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  00:17:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis
[
quote:

A Muslim prayer at a high school football game in Dearbornistan?

School sponsered? No. The mosque? What? Oh so, it would be ok if it was your religion, but the Muslims can't even pray in their own mosques? What is the matter you afaid Allah's football team will kick your god's team's ass?

Where can I find Dearbornistan? Turkey? Libya? Iran? Iraq? She says it like it was an American city, but I've never heard of it.

(checking wikipedia)
Aha... Dearborn, Michigan. Home of Henry Ford's first T-Ford plant.
So it was a racist slant by her. As a professed Jew, I thought she should have known better.

Well, she is either incredibly stupid or incredibly calculating. Based on her reply to some of the comments to her blog:
quote:
A SIMPLE SEARCH OF MY NAME DOES NOT YIELD THE VIDEO. MY NAME IS NOT IN THE KEY WORDS, SO BASICALLY YOU ARE SAYING I CANNOT BE TRUSTED TO FIND A VIDEO OF ME THAT IS NOT UNDER MY NAME. THANKS FOR CONFIRMING THAT MANY ATHEISTS ARE ALSO IDIOTS, IN ADDITION TO BEING FUTURE MUSLIM EXTREMISTS. THE ONLY REASON THESE PEOPLE ARE E-MAILING IS BECAUSE A PROMINENT ATHEIST WEBSITE TOLD THEM TO. THE VIDEO WAS POSTED ON 2/4/07. THAT I'M JUST GETTING THE E-MAILS LAST NIGHT AND TODAY AFTER AN ATHEIST BLOG POSTED ABOUT IT, TELLS ME THE REAL STORY. ESPECIALLY SINCE EVERY SINGLE E-MAIL SAYS THE SAME THING. MONKEYS DOING WHAT THEY'RE TOLD AND PARROTS PARROTING WHAT THEY'RE ASKED TO REPEAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM SMART OR TRUTHFUL.
DEBBIE SCHLUSSEL

I'm putting the good money on stupid.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  00:35:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Could anyone 20 years ago even imagine a person in the media addressing the concerns of their audience in such a contemptible and unprofessional manner? How is this woman allowed to run columns in respected newspapers, appear on television news shows, or host a radio program? Un-fucking-believable.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  01:19:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Could anyone 20 years ago even imagine a person in the media addressing the concerns of their audience in such a contemptible and unprofessional manner? How is this woman allowed to run columns in respected newspapers, appear on television news shows, or host a radio program? Un-fucking-believable.

All publicity is good publicity.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  21:12:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2007/02/atheism_1.html

Just picked this link up from the Austin Atheist list. I don't have cable, by choice, and so, didn't get to watch Dawkin's interview. The link above has video stream of the interview. Don't know if it's complete or not. Pretty thin. Second video stream, on down the page, is just a rushed bullshit job on CNN's part.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  21:39:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Randy wrote:
quote:
Don't know if it's complete or not. Pretty thin.
Well, he uses all his standard lines, but he uses them because they are effective. I thought he was incredibly concise, direct, and eloquent. I liked when he said atheists are "gentle people" because he came off as quite gentle in this interview.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  10:38:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Hermant Mehta, the "Friendly Atheist" and author of the upcoming book "I Sold My Soul on eBay" wrote this blog entry: http://friendlyatheist.com/2007/02/13/cnn-tries-again/

I don't think there is yet any posting on the Internet of the panel discussion with American Atheist president Ellen Johnson, but can we all keep an eye out for it? I'd really like to see it, and I don't have cable so I couldn't watch in on-air.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  02:09:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here's the Feb 12 transcript with Dawkins. (Starts a little less than halfway down the page.) They taped it earlier. I got an email saying they were delaying it due to canceled programing to cover Anna Nicole Smith. I emailed back saying that coverage was an incredible waste. They emailed back some vague non-specific apology then added, the P Zahn program would be delayed because of ANSmith coverage. Most absurd email reply. Clearly it was an auto-reply to mine.

quote:
ROBERTS: We're out in the open tonight with a controversy that generated thousands of e-mails when we first touched on it: intolerance against people who don't believe there's a God.

[snip re-run of the piece, I think]

ROBERTS: Well, after we first brought this topic out in the open, most of the e-mails that we received were from people who thought that we should have included an atheist in our discussion.

So, now we're going to turn to one of the world's most prominent atheists. Richard Dawkins is an Oxford University professor whose bestseller sparked worldwide controversy. "The God Delusion" argues that belief in God is not only irrational, but it can be deadly. Paula spoke with him just a couple of days ago.

We had an effect!! Hooray for us. Unfortunately, they didn't really seem to care. Dawkins has about a minute of recorded stuff then they go back to their idiot "panel" for a much longer period of time.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/14/2007 02:15:47
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  15:03:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Too bad that Ellen never got to tell them that the Golden Rule is usually one of the more important sources for Atheist Ethics. By showing that the Golden Rule is not a Christian Invention(tm), maybe Christians can come around to see that even if the source of morality and ethics are different (religious versus reason) the formalized "rule" of moral/ethics are similar. That should be comforting for Christians, if they realized that Atheists are not the immoral demon incarnate that some religionists are claiming.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  15:18:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Too bad that Ellen never got to tell them that the Golden Rule is usually one of the more important sources for Atheist Ethics. By showing that the Golden Rule is not a Christian Invention(tm), maybe Christians can come around to see that even if the source of morality and ethics are different (religious versus reason) the formalized "rule" of moral/ethics are similar. That should be comforting for Christians, if they realized that Atheists are not the immoral demon incarnate that some religionists are claiming.

Can't accept that though because then you remove god as necessary to have morals and thus conversion is not necessary except to get to heaven and then god is just playing favorites in sending people to heaven. In other less run-on words, if religion is not necessary why have it? If that answer is 'no reason' then it could be tossed, and they don't want that. Demonizing atheist is a way of keeping the flock. If it is not bad to consider atheism a fine and dandy position on the matter, more people might pay attention to the atheist in the courtyard (of course there is no such person, but an atheist friend will suffice) and find reason more appealing. Thinking about it logically, if god or godlessness leads to social cohesion and moraled living, then the most rational position wins because the emotional, the world will be consumed in greed with them running the show, is removed.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.