New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  05:26:31  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.wellingtongrey.net/miscellanea/archive/2007-01-15%20--%20science%20vs%20faith.png

http://tinyurl.com/2mulhc

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  15:17:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

http://www.wellingtongrey.net/miscellanea/archive/2007-01-15%20--%20science%20vs%20faith.png

http://tinyurl.com/2mulhc

Damn that's good. I'd love to put that up in a couple of offices I frequent. Probably against the rules though.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  16:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Reminds me of this cartoon. Good stuff.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  08:49:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And let's not forget Richard Hughes' ID Flowchart.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  10:44:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Yup, pretty much, when it comes to fundamentalists. However, the faith flowchart doesn't accurately represent the faith of progressive religious believers. That I think could go something like this:

Start -->
Get Idea
--> No contradicting evidence --> Keep and cherish idea as some sort of literal truth
--> Contradicting evidence --> Only accept idea as symbolically significant, but not literally true

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  22:54:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That's true, marf. I've been having a go round with a guy who thinks because he accepts all the scientific evidence somehow that makes his version of Bible interpretation superior to anyone else's. That might be fine for him personally, but there is no more validity to accepting the Bible as 'he calls it a guide' than there is in accepting it literally.

Before anyone goes off on that comment, what we were discussing was the fact one had to pick and choose what to believe was real and what to believe was myth made it unlikely any person's interpretation was better than the next. He still had to cherry pick what to be 'guided' by.

Edited to add, he hasn't yet come out and said he believes the Bible, but he's been arguing the scientist Christian is OK but the Bible literalist needs help.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/19/2007 22:56:24
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  04:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Me, I don't talk with my houseplants when tending to them. Some people (analogous to Be's "scientific Christian") do, however, and this doesnt really make them crazy in itself. It's the ones who say the plants talk back that make me nervous.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.