Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  02:02:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

In retrospect, that was a cheap shot. I apologise.

We all make our mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  23:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
For several months I have been repeating my opinion that any invasion of Iran would be preceded by the resignations of American general officers.

It now appears that many such officers think as I supposed they do, that an invasion of Iran would be an unmitigated disaster in the face of the US military being bogged down already in an unsuccessful occupation of Iraq. Check out this from the Times.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  00:45:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Dr Mab said:
quote:
As such, it is a war that can be won by committing genocide (something I don't trust USA not to do any longer).

Ehh..... huh? Seriously?

The US isn't CAPABLE of carrying out a genocide in the middle east unless we decided to use the BillScott(nuke them all) option. Sure, our armies could kill a lot of people, but we'd get wiped out if we had to try and fight 27million Iraqis and 40million Iranians.

IMO the US will cease to exist as a nation if we ever use nukes for anything but the threat of MAD.

The average citizen here may seem complacent to the rest of the world, and for the most part we are. Fat and wealthy by any standard, and more or less unwilling to risk losing it.

But something like what you suggest would likely provoke armed rebellion against the government.

Say nothing of the response from the rest of the world. No nation would tolerate such an action. It would mean the end of any economic and diplomatic ties to even our close allies in Europe.

You know how your government would react, which should be informative. The people in power here in the US don't want to disrupt global trade, or even risk temporary destabilization of it.

And what of the risk of an escalation? What if some country (say Pakistan) decided that they might be next on the recieving end of a US nuke and decided their only chance at survival was to nuke us first?

Once you start using nukes there is no real way to accurately predict the consequences(beyond the obvious mass killing). The power brokers here know that, and they will never go first, and they will do anything they can to stop people they think might go first from getting nukes. (which is why, sadly, war with Iran is a possibility)

Anyway, let me ask you to reconsider your statement. I think you have made a rash claim, one based on your dislike of current US policy and actions, and not grounded in anything but an emotional response to our retarded president.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.