Fishermen catch Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  14:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
It's all over the internet but here's one news source.

Curious that the story refers to Colossal squid growing to 46 feet and Giant squid growing to 39 feet. Maybe that's the maximum that's been observed?

Interesting creatures.

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  14:44:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
From the article:
quote:
If calamari rings were made from the squid they would be the size of tractor tires, he added.

Colossal would seem apt.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  15:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
That's a lot of calamari..!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  15:48:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

That's a lot of calamari..!

Does it come with sauce?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  15:50:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
I love Calamari..... Sorry, I have nothing relevent to say here. Pretty cool story.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  17:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
I guess this was not a catch and release operation.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  17:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

I guess this was not a catch and release operation.

Probably not. When they hauled it up, the big squid was eating the type of fish they were fishing for.

P.S. The posts here had me imagining oil drums of tartar sauce and creates of crumbs, (if you prefer breaded Calamari that is.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds.