Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  09:35:47  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Mitt Romney, answering a challenge about his mormon faith, said

quote:
Let me, uh, let me offer just a thought. And that is, uh, one of the great things about this great land, is we have people of different faiths and different persuasions. And uh, I'm convinced that the nation, that the nation does need, the nation does need to have people of different faiths but we need to have a person of faith lead the country

So Mitt, when challenged that his particular delusion was more whacked-out than the average delusion, turns it around and basically claims that it doesn't matter what cult you're, that as long as you're in a cult, that's good enough. Conversely, he implies that rationalists who reject unevidenced claims about the unknowable, are somehow not qualified to be president.

And almost nobody, including the media types who flayed Joe Biden for calling Obama "clean" and "articulate", bats an eye. Can you imagine if Mitt had said "we need to have a white person lead the country"? Instant infamy! Career over! But it's OK to turn against the godless, I guess. I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that there are millions in this country who reject scientific knowledge supported by literally tons of evidence, yet believe in ancient myths that defy logic and reason. And who believe that unless you share in their asinine fantasy, you are in no way qualified for a leadership position.

Fuck Mitt Romney!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  09:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Like I said before, if there was a god I would pray to it that Romney doesn't win.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  11:23:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: What the Mitt Man sez in subtext besides knowing he's safe excluding atheists and agnostics is: "I'm politcal enough to declare, publically, that all religions are important, but, since I'm running for president, mine is importanter and that someone from the Mormon cult like me could really get this nation's shit together."

Do I hear any Amens?

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  12:39:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I for one have no more issues with Mormons than I do with any other non-evidenced belief system. In fact I find them wholly more pleasent and honest than people of most other faiths. Who cares if they believe that God lives on a perfect crystal planet and that each other planet infested with humans has its own god. Hell, at least they havent started the whole 'Geurilla war to force our faith on others' thing.

As for what MR said, it is a common feeling for all types of theists to think that a person of faith must lead. If I was one of them I do believe I would feel the same and question the faith of one who would be comfortable with a non-spirtual leader. I know as a skeptic I sure would prefer somebody level headed and like-minded like Randi in office than Mr Bush Jr. who I do believe said "I dont think atheists should be considered patriots, nor should they be considered citizens." or something to that effect.

At this point Ill take anybody who doesnt want to give the rapture a push start.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.