Subliminal Ads?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  15:56:56  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I was looking at this story from USA Today about car accidents due to the recent storms in Colorado and the Great Plains.

The photo that went along with the story shows a picture of some massive multi-car wreck on a Colorado Interstate. But I noticed this:

Does anyone else think that the ad for Farmer's insurance looks odd? Like it was doctored and put on the side of the car? I mean, Farmers does do auto insurance, right?

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  16:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Oh Boy. HalfMooner is going to have fun with this one.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  17:52:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I was looking at this story from USA Today about car accidents due to the recent storms in Colorado and the Great Plains.

The photo that went along with the story shows a picture of some massive multi-car wreck on a Colorado Interstate. But I noticed this:

Does anyone else think that the ad for Farmer's insurance looks odd? Like it was doctored and put on the side of the car? I mean, Farmers does do auto insurance, right?

I don't know. I can't see evidence that the letters were put on after the photo was taken. But that proves nothing. I do notice, in a 200% magnified view, that the top of the "800" is somewhat blurry, consistent with real icing. But again, that proves nothing.

If I were Farmers, I would not want to show part of my fleet in an accident, as this would seem a bad association. But once again, this proves nothing.

I am pretty sure the red mark around the lettering was a postproduction artifact.

In the distance on the right, I see three lurking bigfoots watching the scene with evident glee.

No UFO's visible.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/24/2007 17:54:34
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  18:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Doesn't look odd to me... well, except for the sloppy red oval around it.

Seriously, given how many miles those guys log, the odds that one of 'em would get into a giant pile-up and photographed eventually were pretty good.

But with a photo like that, I would have expected the story to be about irony. It's almost as good as this. You've gotta wonder how much that person's rates went up.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  19:42:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well, you can't say that Farmers wasn't on the scene quickly that day…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  21:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
In the distance on the right, I see three lurking bigfoots watching the scene with evident glee.

They want to teach us the error of our ways in both insurance company choices and driving technique.

The only thing that looks odd to me is that the area is clear of ice. But I agree that if I were Farmer's, I'd rather cover it up before clear it off.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  21:27:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

The only thing that looks odd to me is that the area is clear of ice.
The part of the car below that trim line is better protected from vertically falling snow and ice by being angled inwards. Look at the other car in the foreground for another example. I'd tell you to look at your own car after a good snowfall, but you're a damn Southerner.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  22:21:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Why is it that the driver's side mirror of the car in question has snow covering it? That is the first thing I clean off whenever I get into my car. Also, look at how the snow caked onto the wheel, and compare that to the snow on the other visible wheel.

Not saying this shows anything, just that it's weird.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  23:03:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
If that photo is of the 35-car pileup mentioned in the article, then the photo was taken after the snow that created "whiteout conditions" had ended. In other words, the wheel snow is from after the crash. And what gets covered and what gets partially covered will depend on the local wind direction ("local" referring to anything within a foot or two of a particular location) and the temperatures of the objects in question.

I bet the side windows of both cars are mostly clear due to police repeatedly cleaning them to ensure that no people have been overlooked.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  23:17:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Farmers "HelpPoint" registered trademark: 1-800-435-7764

http://www.farmers.com/FarmComm/WebSite/html/common/report_a_claim.html

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/24/2007 23:18:37
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  11:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

The only thing that looks odd to me is that the area is clear of ice.
The part of the car below that trim line is better protected from vertically falling snow and ice by being angled inwards. Look at the other car in the foreground for another example. I'd tell you to look at your own car after a good snowfall, but you're a damn Southerner.

Yep, and thanks to good old global warming we have 75 degree winters. How great is that.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  14:50:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Yep, and thanks to good old global warming we have 75 degree winters. How great is that.

Well, that depends. When the Gulf-stream stops, and Sweden gets the same climate as Greenland, I'm going to put 25% of the blame on America...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  05:25:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well it looks like our cold streak is over in Michigan, it seems to get shorter every year. When I was a kid it was dec-feb now its just late Jan-Feb.

The photo does not look doctored....that doesnt mean it wasnt taken by a Farmers agent though, perhaps the owner of that car even.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  16:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Farmers "HelpPoint" registered trademark: 1-800-435-7764

http://www.farmers.com/FarmComm/WebSite/html/common/report_a_claim.html

What's that reference for? I may be being obtuse, but I don't get the context for the link reference.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.