Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  14:55:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It all leaves me to wonder if we are not seeing the kind of separation into non-interbreeding populations that precedes a speciation event.

That's an interesting idea, but I think there are enough escapees and converts to stop that from happening. Good luck for the former, less so for the latter. Still, as long as everyone's gettin' some, evolution will have it's way.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  08:46:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dark Ages really weren't so dark after all:

"The humanists viewed the mostly quiet religious activity between A.D. 500 and 1500 as a waste of time, and mischaracterized the period as one of darkness and ignorance. However, it is true that not much was accomplished intellectually or culturally between about A.D. 500 and 1000. " (http://www.conservapedia.com/World_History_Lecture_Five)

It was just quiet religious activity. Peaceful and tranquil, you know? Gee, musta been nice.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  09:14:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

"The humanists viewed the mostly quiet religious activity between A.D. 500 and 1500 as a waste of time, and mischaracterized the period as one of darkness and ignorance. However, it is true that not much was accomplished intellectually or culturally between about A.D. 500 and 1000. " (http://www.conservapedia.com/World_History_Lecture_Five)

It was just quiet religious activity. Peaceful and tranquil, you know? Gee, musta been nice.

Yeah, not a lot of wars, not at all.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:15:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

Yeah, not a lot of wars, not at all.

Exactly.

And the article passes along the old, now refuted, belief that midieval monks preserved the knowledge of the Romans and Greeks (still shown, BTW, at Epcot). The credit belongs to Islamic scholars for the most part. Funny, they don't mention that in the Islamic section.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  11:04:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out "Never Mind Those Kangaroo Fossils." The comments include a discussion of why Conservapedia might be as popular (in terms of visitors) as it is. Lots of the visits may simply be for a laugh.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  22:26:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've finally found my way to that site...all I can say is probably not fit for print...same old lies, over and over again.

Fortunately, the RationalWiki people are keeping track of them. PZ Myers and his commentators are dealing with one of those Conservapedia people on his site. You have to read down into the comments section, though, since the topic itself is different. The conservapedia guy derails things in there.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  00:39:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Conservapedia now as extinct as its Middle Eastern Noah kangaroos? Or is it just me? I get "Error: Host Not Accessible".

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/06/2007 00:39:51
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  01:16:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Is Conservapedia now as extinct as its Middle Eastern Noah kangaroos? Or is it just me? I get "Error: Host Not Accessible".

Yeh, that's what I've been getting. I fear that we've lost one of the greatest sources of vital information since the last Three Stooges script.

I despair, but I'll keep it in my bookmarks for a little longer. Perhaps they're just taking a well-deserved rest.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  02:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite honestly would hate to see it go. It provides great laughs (such as the Theory of Relativity denial of Andrew Schlafly, and the delightful kangaroo fable), and it lets the whole world know what bat-shit crazy loons these particular conservatives are.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  03:38:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Well, I've finally found my way to that site...all I can say is probably not fit for print...same old lies, over and over again.

Fortunately, the RationalWiki people are keeping track of them. PZ Myers and his commentators are dealing with one of those Conservapedia people on his site. You have to read down into the comments section, though, since the topic itself is different. The conservapedia guy derails things in there.

That's ironic: The Pharyngula post I linked to above won't accept my second comment.

I posted with a link to the Index to Creationist Claims, but messed up the format, so it doesn't work as a link. I try to correct that in a later post, and nothing. So, I'll post my comment here so's I can get at it for next time. (I don't want to put it just on my computer).

EDIT: I found out why it won't go through. If any comment over there has more than one href link, it gets tagged as spam!

Bummer. The post I make where I mess up the link formatting shows up, the posts where I give the link itself to avoid that happening do not show up.

Anyhow...the "point by point" rebuttal to the Conservapedia site:
http://talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

As for some other claims there:
Darwinism and racism:
http://home.att.net/~troybritain/articles/darwin_on_race.htm

Darwinism and eugenics:
http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2007/05/dr-west-meet-dr.html
(see the comments also!)

Darwinism and anti-semitism:
http://www.talkreason.com/articles/Genocide.cfm

I'll just post my stuff here, and link to this post from over there.

EDIT #2 D'oh! My original comment has just now shown up on the site! Hopefully he'll just get rid of the last comment I made where I just link to this post for the info. Otherwise, I'll be just repeating myself when I didn't have to, and I'll look like a dope!

Oh well, in that case, just call me your roving ambassador for SFN!

Maybe more of you guys should post in Scienceblogs so you can repair the reputation of this board!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 11/07/2007 03:20:07
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  07:42:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If conservapedia was down, it was only temporarily. As I write this, it's up and ruining again.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  07:54:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

If conservapedia was down, it was only temporarily. As I write this, it's up and ruining again.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  12:40:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, here's their take on the Permian Extinction:
Permian Extinction and the Great Flood
Secularist thinkers have attempted to undermine Biblical principles by introducing multiple extinction events into their version of human history. One such event is called the 'Permian Extinction' but this might be better called the Great Flood. It is important to recognize, however, that secularist thinkers are tapping into essential Biblical realities. The Lord did attempt to extinguish all life on Earth, however, this was the Great Flood and not the 'Permian Extinction.'
Exactly what this has to do with conservatism is a mystery to me. I'd think it ought to go into Creationwiki.

Or maybe it's all the same, silly thing.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  16:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Heh, here's their take on the Permian Extinction:
Permian Extinction and the Great Flood
Secularist thinkers have attempted to undermine Biblical principles by introducing multiple extinction events into their version of human history. One such event is called the 'Permian Extinction' but this might be better called the Great Flood. It is important to recognize, however, that secularist thinkers are tapping into essential Biblical realities. The Lord did attempt to extinguish all life on Earth, however, this was the Great Flood and not the 'Permian Extinction.'
Exactly what this has to do with conservatism is a mystery to me. I'd think it ought to go into Creationwiki.

Or maybe it's all the same, silly thing.

It's interesting to me to discover that science is "tapping in" to "biblical realities" for ideas and/or evidence. I hadn't really known that. Bunch of plagiarists, those scientists.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/06/2007 16:26:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.