Dallas madrassa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  17:14:42  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
This month's issue of the North Texas Skeptic http://www.ntskeptics.org/2002/2002march/march2002.htm#madrasa has a rather frightening article by John Blanton about a fundamentalist school in Dallas. To these folks, evolution is the root of all evil, and
quote:
Alcoholics Anonymous: It has New Age roots.
Andrew Weil: OK by me.
Mormons: Not a Christian religion. There are pagan rituals inside the temples.
Feng shui: Who would have thought it?
Star Wars (the movie): It was created to teach religion.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hint, think of the lotus position.
Disney's Lion King: Astrology
Disney's Pocahontas: She gets wisdom from a tree.
Disney's (again) Aladdin: It has genies killing people.
Harry Potter: Casts spells and is a religious book (but wait until I tell you what they did in the Christian Bible Church later on that very same morning).
And finally Pokemon: Check out the lightning tail on that dude.

The frightening part is that a fair number of otherwise ordinary middle-class young people receive their entire education at this institution. The associated church is not named, but there is a picture.
It just happens that I went to this very place a few years ago to watch some traveling "prophets" in action. They were doing some rather low-grade cold-reading, far too amateurish for carnival midway quacks or even Miss Cleo.

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  17:36:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Well we have all seen what type of people are turned out by these types of schools. There must be some important difference between 'evil' fanatic moslems and fundamental christians. I can't see it.

The list you quoted on the other hand does not appear all that offensive to me.

Disney is obviously evil. Feng shui is stupid. The AA have a bit to much religion in their programm for my taste.

There are a few nonsequiturs in his reasoning. There is a gap between showing things are diffrent and having proven that they are evil. But you can't fault him for not liking Pokemon.

Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  17:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
quote:

Well we have all seen what type of people are turned out by these types of schools. There must be some important difference between 'evil' fanatic moslems and fundamental christians. I can't see it.

Better cars

quote:

But Lars, in this country people like this have guns.

quote:
But you can't fault him for not liking Pokemon.

True enough

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  06:16:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

But Lars, in this country people like this have guns.

True enough

[/quote]

Usually, fully automatic assault weapons.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.