Comments on Articles
 What is a Skeptic and Why Bother Being One
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Smithford

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  04:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Smithford's Homepage Send Smithford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to let you know I posted a blog referring to David Gluk's article, which I enjoyed by the way.
You can read the post at:

http://skepticsabsinthe.blogspot.com

I hope everyone is having a great day!
sammantha_ford
Skeptic's Absinthe #001: Why skeptics hate lay lines, the 10% brain myth, and life in the slow lane.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  06:02:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Smithford

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to let you know I posted a blog referring to David Gluk's article, which I enjoyed by the way.
You can read the post at:

http://skepticsabsinthe.blogspot.com

sammantha_ford
Skeptic's Absinthe #001: Why skeptics hate lay lines, the 10% brain myth, and life in the slow lane.
Hi Smithford and welcome to SFN!

A skeptic is one of those unfortunate, anal-retentive people who just can't leave well enough alone. While they are not all that common, they can be found in small numbers scattered throughout the world. They are roundly despised in many quarters, but this discourages them not in the least. They continually dig and pick and worry at the carcass' of myth and superstition, and outright bullshit, to the discomfort of those who spread such. They are the rat turd in the popular sugar bowl; the skunk at the garden party.

But why be a skeptic and have to get involved in so much fuss and bother? Damned if I know......

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:41:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Sammantha and welcome!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  11:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Smithford to SFN. I’m glad that you enjoyed my article.

I think it might be an over statement in your blog to say that skeptics “hate” ley lines. We do have a tendency to doubt those claims that lack evidence and are often outside of what science can investigate. But that’s not the same as “hate.” That’s when we use methods other than science to evaluate a claim. Critical thinking plays a roll there.

Anyhow, the use of ley lines as a metaphor is an interesting idea.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Smithford

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  02:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Smithford's Homepage Send Smithford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone!
Thank you guys for the warm welcome.

I am enjoying my time being a skeptic. It's like I've found a whole world of people who talk as I do. I am, also, a fiction writer. I love to make correlations that others may not have. And I love storytelling. Skepticism and storytelling are not supposed to be good bedfellows. It is the reason I chose to go with Skeptic's Absinthe as a title for my blog. I'll be very surprised if I don't get my wrists slapped for ancedotes and irreverence. To be skeptical but not a hard ass about it, sort of the type sitting back enjoying vert and the sunset.

Sammantha
www.skepticsabsinthe.blogspot.com
002: Family Radio & Heaven's Gate
Edited by - Smithford on 12/05/2010 02:03:40
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  03:28:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Smithford
And I love storytelling. Skepticism and storytelling are not supposed to be good bedfellows.
I like to think they do.
Who, but us, could tell the difference between fiction and what's real?
If you go to a convention like Dragon*Con where you have tonnes of sci-fi and fantacy, you also have a science and skeptic track, which has been expanding every year. With guests like James Randi and Scott Siegler (and many more)...

I think that being able to separate between fact and fiction makes us appreciate both more.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  12:22:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I have the time, which isn't all that often anymore, I love reading fiction, fantasy and sci-fi. Carl Sagan wrote Contact which does deal with several skeptical themes, but still, it's fiction. I only object to fiction masquerading as fact. You know. Those books sold in the self-help and new age sections of the book store...

Some of the best "story telling" deals with themes that are best presented in fictional formats. Themes that may shed some light on the human condition.

And some's just fun!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

michaelnelson252

Turkey
1 Post

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  22:32:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit michaelnelson252's Homepage Send michaelnelson252 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the plug-in information and also the ways and reasons to use it. Great post and information.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Removed irrelevant link.

Kil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.