Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  19:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As expected by anyone not blinded by dollar signs or the Bible, Williamstown mayor says Ark Encounter is not the economic boon they expected. In no small part, apparently, because people are being brought to the ark by bus from larger cities farther away, and then leaving by he same buses back to the same bigger cities, and not dropping any of their tourist dollars in the local shops, restaurants or hotels.

So it will be no surprise when school field trips also fail to be an economic boom for the area, with buses driving right through the areas that were promised (and need) tourists. The kids are being offered $1 tickets (and free for accompanying adults), so Ken Ham isn't looking to get rich off the kids, thus ensuring that the offer is seen as solely for the unconstitutional nonsense that it is.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  19:44:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's always sad when new businesses fail.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  20:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can skip the first 1.5 minutes and everything after 11:50 as not being Ark related. Here's a video show the Ark thingy and how few people are attending, posted Aug. 1, 2016. At $40 a head it's evident it's a ripoff from what this video shows. Ken should try praying, isn't it guaranteed to work in that God inspired book?

Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

Nothing works like prayer, even when it doesn't.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  23:41:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's entirely possible that dinosaurs such as RAPTORS would have eaten the faeces of other animals (such as pigs), therefore enabling a self-contained biosphere to develop inside the ark.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  18:53:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It's entirely possible that dinosaurs such as RAPTORS would have eaten the faeces of other animals (such as pigs), therefore enabling a self-contained biosphere to develop inside the ark.
Are you aware of any large vertebrates that thrive on the scat of other animals?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  18:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Are you aware of any large vertebrates that thrive on the scat of other animals?
Rather than give a comment on whether a raptor would or could survive eating poop for a year as Dave addressed, I'd like to reply on another flaw in logic I feel exists with the comment.

OFfC's comment starts out with, "It's entirely possible,,,". It would be nice to know on what information, facts or examples the claimed possibility is based upon. Because while it might NOT be impossible and "might" is a wild card, that has no bearing on weather it is possible. It might be hard to grasp for someone who is unfamiliar with the difference between something being "not impossible" and it being "possible". They are not the same and believing they are is a big mistake.

Claiming it is "possible" or using it's bigger brother "entirely possible" as the comment did doesn't make the suggestion valid unless it is presented with some known existing examples to demonstrate it might be justified or for it to be a considered a possibility in the belief it's being applied to. This applies to anyone making claims about anything that is speculative. Claims that are not speculative should be easily justified.

For those interested, below is a link to a 10 minute video that explains what I'm addressing between the big difference of any claim being justified because it is "not impossible" which can be valid to state and it being "possible" which isn't justified. At least not before it is demonstrated to be the case. Knowing the difference can prevent one from falling victim to the trap of thinking it's justified to believe that something is "possible" just because it is "not impossibe".

Video link.

For those who get what the video explained, anyone should conclude what [b]OFfC[/] was claiming was "entirely possible" is not the case until he demonstrates it is entirely possible and not because it is not impossible.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  22:01:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

For those who get what the video explained, anyone should conclude what OFfC was claiming was "entirely possible" is not the case until he demonstrates it is entirely possible and not because it is not impossible.
That's actually what I was asking for: any sliver of evidence in support of OFfC's claim.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  19:37:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure it's possible. poop has all kinds of nutrients in it. It's ENTIRELY possible. Sorry SS I didn't have time to watch your super-interesting video.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2016 :  19:09:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sure it's possible. poop has all kinds of nutrients in it.
Then why don't currently living vertebrates rely on it?
It's ENTIRELY possible.
Only in the "not facially impossible" sense. But actually it is, since you said, "...therefore enabling a self-contained biosphere to develop inside the ark." That would mean that the animals whose poop the raptors ate would in turn eat the raptors.

But there must have been no more than seven raptors on the Ark, so no. Pigs, like humans, can go a few weeks without food, but not half a year. Besides, if the raptors ate the poop of, say, 100 types of animals, then each one of those animals could only have eaten 1/100th of a raptor in return (after which there'd have been no raptors to eat poop), so there's a serious limit on how many calories could have existed in the loop. Especially if there were only two raptors.

Even if these other animals only ate the raptors' poop, the amount of nutrients in the poop would diminish quickly. The animals would probably stop pooping as they starved to death. One can only break a fat molecule apart so many times before all you're left with is carbon dioxide and water. Essential vitamins would quickly be used up, as would the available carbohydrates and proteins. The limit, really, is the number of ATP molecules that could be recycled from the excess biomass brought aboard the ark by well-fed animals, and that limit is "not nearly as much as required for a year of life." That is, after all, why most large animals eat things other than poop every day.

So no, not possible at all. The proposed poop cycle is mathematically and biologically impossible for such a long time.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  00:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Listen, Dave, I'm not married to the idea of velocoraptors eating the poop. It could be a sauropod or pterodactyl. The possibilities are endless.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  10:19:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OFfC: Trolling level: Master.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  17:09:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The possibilities are endless non-existent.
FTFY.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  20:37:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evangelical Christians paid $40 to get into the Ark so you don't have to.

They made a video presentation about it and the "Ark Park as obstacle to scientific understanding among religious public."
The Ark was purportedly built to the same dimensions and specifications as described in Genesis chapter six. I really appreciated the attention to Biblical details like all those steel bolts, the electrical lighting and the massive air conditioning system.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  23:18:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Evangelical Christians paid $40 to get into the Ark so you don't have to.

They made a video presentation about it and the "Ark Park as obstacle to scientific understanding among religious public."
The Ark was purportedly built to the same dimensions and specifications as described in Genesis chapter six. I really appreciated the attention to Biblical details like all those steel bolts, the electrical lighting and the massive air conditioning system.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  18:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A much more detailed we spent $40 so you don't have to.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.