Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  13:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From PZ:
Glenn Morton has torn down the entirety of his web archive — years worth of articles and explanations refuting young earth creationism. Why?

Because it turns out he was less interested in addressing the truth than he was in defending Christianity.
Atheists and agnostics had been using his evidence to argue not only against Biblical literalists and religious extremists, but against the entirety of Christianity. Arguing against religion is bigotry, you see, and he got tired of all those liberal leftist godless bullies who have taken over his country.
Morton actually goes on and on about "freedom," about which he oh-so-wrongly says, "...Freedom means that a majority should decide what happens." He also thinks that people criticizing Christians (even being bigoted against them) takes away the Christians' "freedom," and he links to a bunch of news items which are about people fighting against Christians trying to be authoritarian and/or bigoted, but Morton ironically thinks are about people trying to take away Christians' freedoms (sorry, Glenn, but Christians do not have the freedom to use the government to proselytize).

So, because people were using his archives to argue against his beliefs, he thought it better to hide everything and run away from the whole fight. And really, with the attitudes he expresses, it is perhaps better for everyone if he just quit. That rant certainly didn't do his reputation any favors.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  16:42:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hence, the value of web archive. And tinyurl dot com The link is to his global flood articles, and it seems the other links all work.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 11/25/2012 16:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  17:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... An anti-left RR rant if ever I saw one. The thing is, evolution is science. It's not a leftist belief. As they say, you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The majority doesn't get to vote the facts away in their communities. That's not freedom. That's the tyranny of the majority.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  20:00:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It must suck to be Morton. Or anyone with their brain rotted for years by the demons of cognitive dissonance. Ironically, Morton has strengthened the argument that religion and science are incompatible. They certainly proved to be so in Morton's case, where he for so long juggled both strong fundamentalist Christian beliefs and scientific rationalism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  23:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

The thing is, evolution is science. It's not a leftist belief.
To be fair, Morton isn't arguing otherwise. He's saying that using his scientific arguments to oppose his unscientific religion is an attempt to strip him of his "Freedom to be wrong." He wants to be able to not only be wrong, but in his wrongness be free of criticism, "bigotry" and even the rule of law.
As they say, you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
As you know, I don't even believe the first part of that aphorism any longer. Wrong opinions exact a price on society. People shouldn't feel entitled to believe whatever bullshit they want to believe. That is, in no small part, what's led to the current Congress and the effects it has had on public policy.
The majority doesn't get to vote the facts away in their communities. That's not freedom. That's the tyranny of the majority.
Unfortunately, when the judiciary agrees with them, the majority can pretty much do what it wants.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  00:27:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave:
As you know, I don't even believe the first part of that aphorism any longer. Wrong opinions exact a price on society.

I didn't say opinions shouldn't be challenged. As for being entitled to them, there isn't much that can be done beyond challenging a wrong opinion. We don't throw people in jail (not that you said we do) for being wrong, usually. People really do have the right to be wrong, no matter how infuriating and sometimes even dangerous their wrongness might be.

If an opinion is so wrong and it can be demonstrated that it has caused harm, litigation might be possible. Cases brought against cults might be an example of that.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  02:24:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morton's Demon is back with filter-setting on Full.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  09:09:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Morton's Demon is back with filter-setting on Full.

Well put. Morton not only defined the phenomenon, but now stands as a horrible example of it.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  23:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone notice this attack against Sandra Fluke here? (The misspelling is Mortons):

The powers that be think that everyone MUST be forced to pay for contraception for the YES, slutty life style of Sandra Fluck who gave a speech at the Democratic convention bemoaning that we don’t pay for her contraception. (Rush Limbaugh got in lots of trouble for saying she is a slut, yet it is Sandra who wants to live a life of sex where everyone else pays to keep her from getting pregnant). Why must I as a Christian, who thinks such behavior abysmal, sinful and self destructive pay for her to have sexcapades without consequences?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  04:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Anyone notice this attack against Sandra Fluke here? (The misspelling is Mortons):

The powers that be think that everyone MUST be forced to pay for contraception for the YES, slutty life style of Sandra Fluck who gave a speech at the Democratic convention bemoaning that we don’t pay for her contraception. (Rush Limbaugh got in lots of trouble for saying she is a slut, yet it is Sandra who wants to live a life of sex where everyone else pays to keep her from getting pregnant). Why must I as a Christian, who thinks such behavior abysmal, sinful and self destructive pay for her to have sexcapades without consequences?

Yup, but PZ pointed that out, so I can take no credit for noticing. The guy hates women, probably fears them as well. Fits well with his scriptures. And the only actual difference between Sandra Fluke's behavior and that of a typical young Fundy woman is that the latter is more likely to get a venereal disease or an unwanted pregnancy. What was really too "slutty" about Fluke in Morton's sick, hypocritical and cognitively dissonant mind is that this young woman openly discusses the subject of birth control.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/29/2012 04:28:01
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  07:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Yup. Saw it. That's why I called it a RR rant. On the upside, in part it was the Religious Rights social conservatism that got Obama re-elected. As much as they would like to think that they are, their views are not majority views. Woman came down heavily for Obama because of the crap Morton is spewing.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  12:28:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

,,, On the upside, in part it was the Religious Rights social conservatism that got Obama re-elected.
I agree and until the modify their non-reality based views we can hope for more of the same.
As much as they would like to think that they are, their views are not majority views. Woman came down heavily for Obama because of the crap Morton is spewing.
I wonder how much the erosion of main stream media's exclusivity in shaping social thinking or steering the discussion is caused by the proliferation of the internet and social media? If it's is in fact loosing that power.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Barry Desborough

France
2 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  09:23:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Barry Desborough's Homepage Send Barry Desborough a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much of Glenn's material is preserved on the WyBackMchine, and I have achieved much of it in my blog, @ https://barryhisblog.blogspot.com/p/glenn-mortons-pages-archive-contents.html
Go to Top of Page

Barry Desborough

France
2 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  09:25:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Barry Desborough's Homepage Send Barry Desborough a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry. Thay should have been WayBackMachine.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2018 :  09:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Barry Desborough

Much of Glenn's material is preserved on the WyBackMchine, and I have achieved much of it in my blog, @ https://barryhisblog.blogspot.com/p/glenn-mortons-pages-archive-contents.html
Thanks! And welcome to SFN.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  02:52:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Biggest surprise for me is that PZ is still a 'thing'. I thought he'd cut his own grave years ago.
Made me a little sad to see his name again!

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.