Cosmos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  08:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Mooney writes that Neil deGrasse Tyson's new Cosmos is annoying all the usual suspects:
If you think the first episode of the new Fox Cosmos series was controversial (with its relatively minor mentions of climate change, evolution, and the Big Bang), Sunday night's show threw down the gauntlet. Pretty much the entire episode was devoted to the topic of evolution, and the vast profusion of evidence (especially genetic evidence) showing that it is indeed the explanation behind all life on Earth. At one point, host Neil deGrasse Tyson stated it as plainly as you possibly can: "The theory of evolution, like the theory of gravity, is a scientific fact."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  09:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. The creationists have their knickers in a bunch. The NCSE weighs in:

Clear explanations of science are precisely what creationists most fear from Neil deGrasse Tyson’s series. They know their spurious arguments wither in the face of any clear presentation of the facts of evolution, especially when such a presentation is made without apology, and in a way everyone can understand.

But the episode didn’t stop there, discussing the reaction to Darwin, natural selection, the evolution of the eye, the genetic commonality of all life. Even the “intelligent designer” got a shout-out. Episode two delved into red-meat issues and did so without holding back.

Cosmos Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Facts

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  08:32:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So finally, Neil deGrasse Tyson and the producers of the new Cosmos are flat out ignoring Creationists and promoters of lies and confusion, specifically Danny Faulkner of Answers In Genesis and the Creation Museum. It's about frickin' time, thank you.
Creationists Demand Airtime On 'Cosmos' For The Sake Of Balance
Submitted by Brian Tashman on Friday, 3/21/2014

Danny Faulkner of Answers In Genesis and the Creation Museum appeared on The Janet Mefferd Show yesterday to criticize Cosmos for not providing airtime for Creationism adherents. When Mefferd asked if Cosmos will “ever give a Creationist any time,” Faulkner responded by lamenting that “Creationists aren’t even on the radar screen for them, they wouldn’t even consider us plausible at all.”

There came a moment when Geo-centrists who insisted their Bible based science was correct and scientific were no longer allowed in scientific discussions and instructions. It would appear that moment is passing now for creationists. "Creationists Demand Airtime On 'Cosmos'" they need to talk to Bill Nye, he's in the camp where they are credible or their worth debating. Tyson? I don't believe so and it's about time.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  09:09:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh but creationists are on the Cosmos makers radar screen. The segment about the evolution of the eye in the last episode was aimed at everyone, but also, not coincidentally, at the ID idea that the eye is irreducibly complex. And no. They will never directly present a counter argument to creationism by bringing it up as a "competing theory" because Cosmos is a science series.

The idea of equal time is absurd. It didn't happen in the original series and it won't happen now. Apparently Mefferd and Faulkner never saw Cosmos with Carl Sagan.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  17:51:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they think the Equal Time Rule doesn't have an exception for documentaries.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  03:28:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cosmos finally arrived in a channel close to me, and I've set my TiVo to record it. I like it so far.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  09:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ignoring the clustered asteroid belt and the noise they make whooshing by, I'm enjoying the episodes, especially E02 (evolution) and E03 (Oort, Hooke, Halley Newton, and orbits).

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 03/26/2014 09:56:46
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  23:20:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been loving it and glad that there has been relevancy to current perils.

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 05/29/2014 23:45:19
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  00:32:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too enjoy Cosmos...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  19:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Season 1 Episode 12 was another call to get the worlds' heads out of their asses regarding fossil fuel dependence and climate change.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.