General Discussion
 Small business suggestions/advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Minta Rooks
Spammer

17 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  10:47:15  Show Profile Send Minta Rooks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone so I need some help, any small business owners out there that can lend a hand of advice, some suggestions or maybe just your experience good or bad with running your small business? I am in the market for some office space and prefer to rent a furnished office but am always open for suggestions advice or anything in general that will help me on my journey for a successful small business.

Thanks in advance!

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  11:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Minta Rooks

Hey everyone so I need some help, any small business owners out there that can lend a hand of advice, some suggestions or maybe just your experience good or bad with running your small business? I am in the market for some office space and prefer to rent a furnished office but am always open for suggestions advice or anything in general that will help me on my journey for a successful small business.

Thanks in advance!

Small businesses pretty much depend on the type of small business you are running.

My experience is with an internet based small business that folded after 3 years (due to a number of different reasons some of them messy). Since it was being run from my home, I didn't have the issues of renting a place, furnished or otherwise. I did build some specialty fixtures for the business and did some modifications to get the required resources together.

I do remember that when I was working for a campaign that the store front was rented but the furnishings were purchased outright. There are several places that you can get office equipment at a reasonable price (mostly from shops that specialize in hotel overages and clearances).

Again, without knowing the nature of the business or the specific business needs for particular furnishings (display cases, desks, lamps, telephony equipment), your question is a bit general for any answers.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Minta Rooks
Spammer

17 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  06:26:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Minta Rooks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Point taken...I offer entertainment services for birthday parties. So very minimal office equipment required. It's a 2 person operation but we just need a separate space for our clients to come meet with us face to face. I've searched Zillow office space and Officelist.com and have found some pretty promising spaces. But I haven't narrowed it down to 1 place yet.

I was just wondering if others can share their piece of mind as to what helps a small business succeed and things to keep in mind when dealing with different things etc. In some instances I learn by others' mistakes so I don't have to live them lol I know sometimes you have to go through something yourself but if I can at all avoid problems...I rather do just that.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  08:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Minta Rooks

Point taken...I offer entertainment services for birthday parties. So very minimal office equipment required. It's a 2 person operation but we just need a separate space for our clients to come meet with us face to face. I've searched Zillow office space and Officelist.com and have found some pretty promising spaces. But I haven't narrowed it down to 1 place yet.

I was just wondering if others can share their piece of mind as to what helps a small business succeed and things to keep in mind when dealing with different things etc. In some instances I learn by others' mistakes so I don't have to live them lol I know sometimes you have to go through something yourself but if I can at all avoid problems...I rather do just that.

OK.

1) Its business. Not making friends.

Make sure that your partners are in the business for the long haul. Employees should be interested in the success of the business.

2) Verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Get everything in writing. Expectations. Costs. Locations to be served. All services expected to be rendered. This will help you with the unhappy (or unreasonable) customer.

3) To the best of your ability, fulfill your end of the contract to the letter of the agreement.

Show up when and where. Provide all contracted services.

4) Accurately project how much the service will cost to provide.

Include payment for the talent, props, expendable items (candy, use once props, etc), transportation costs (fuel, wear and tear on the conveyance). This way, you can charge a reasonable rate for services.

5) Look for best practices, but don't get married to them.

Best practices only causes you to play catch-up to the innovators in your industry. Look at what they are doing and find out how to optimize them for your operation. Every company does things differently.

6) Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's.

Collect and charge taxes appropriately. Keep track of any legislation that pertains to your business type and how it is provided, taxed, and reported/licensed. Pay those taxes on time.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Minta Rooks
Spammer

17 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  09:57:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Minta Rooks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome advice! I have copy and pasted them to a word document and printed it off. (I hope you don't mind) I especially like your first 3 because they are things that are assumed but easily overlooked/forgotten. Thank you so much your post was very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  17:54:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many customers/sales/clients do you need to turn a profit? That's the key. Some people go into business without even knowing. Add up all your overheads, rent, wages, bills, transportation, stock, advertising etc. Now calculate how many sales you need to generate a revenue higher than that. Then consider, "Is it realistic that my business will generate that much interest?". If the answer is "No" or "Maybe", then you should reconsider.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.