Congratulations, America
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  07:02:28  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just got yourselves the best government the Koch brothers could buy. Somewhere, Ayn Rand is smiling.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  09:42:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

You just got yourselves the best government the Koch brothers could buy. Somewhere, Ayn Rand is smiling.
The amount of money spent is ridiculous and it is discouraging to know that ones ability to petition their government for redress of grievances depends more on the depth of ones pockets and their willingness to fill political coffers with cash.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  11:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mew. Expected but mew. :(
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  19:53:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayn Rand wouldn't be happy with these theocrats. She disliked Reagan for this reason.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 11/05/2014 20:01:46
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  06:48:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

So.... a pissed off electorate had nothing to do with it?

Let me clue you in on the local races in Illinois.

Governor wasn't a money issue. It was a performance issue. In 2010, Quinn asked for and got a 66% increase in the income tax rate that was supposed to pay down existing debt and clear up backlogged bills (it was bad enough that landlords would not rent out to state government entities due to poor payment practices).

Instead, he blew it on the Illiana Tollway project. Specifically taking properties through eminent domain (and paying a mere pittance for the properties he took which caused challenges and additional payments in addition to removing properties from the tax rolls). Now, since (shock and horror) the debt is still crippling, the backlog still exists, and the state's credit rating is approaching junk bond level, Quinn was talking about making the income tax increase permanent. The voters said No.

At some point, you stop giving an alcoholic, whiskey.

Koch had no involvement in that race.

As for national races, people are tired of gridlock, they are pissed off at unresponsive leaders (which is why I voted Libertarian in the senate race out here), Cruz will get his when he comes up for re-election.

Now, the Republican will have to show they can lead and get things done or this will be a 2 year thing. Doesn't matter if someone is telling them who is to blame. The voters tend to go to the polls when pissed off to punish incumbents.

Ebola is more popular than the US Congress right now.

What also made things better for the Republicans was that they actually were speaking to the concerns of Americans. Exit polling showed that (surprise, surprise) the economy was foremost on the minds of voters. Republicans spoke to that. Democrats got bogged down in denying that the economy has serious issues and railling against the "war on women". It didn't play well due to Mazlow's heirarcy.

The electorate was at the food level. The Democrats were talking about the ideas level. The Republicans talked about the food level.

I think your assessment of the US elections is a little flawed.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  08:48:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Val:
The electorate was at the food level. The Democrats were talking about the ideas level. The Republicans talked about the food level.

What interests me is that the Republicans basically blocked everything they could at the food level. They spent their time blocking things like the jobs bill and going after the ACA, how many times? And yet the voters responded by blaming the Dems this time. Too many Democratic candidates ran away from Obama's record, which is a pretty good one. You don't get the Democratic base by not pointing out Democratic achievements, which include pulling us out of the worst recession since the great depression and bringing healthcare to millions who didn't have it before, steady (even if it's slow) job growth and other things.

Low turnout is also a factor. Angry white guys showed up.

Now the Republicans are on the hot seat. My guess is they will still send up legislation that Obama can't sign because doing nothing has worked for them. Obama will try to find compromise because that's what he does, the Senate will be okay with some of it but the house will torpedo it. Business as usual, with the exception that the contention within the GOP will get even worse.

By all indications, based on what seats will come up in 2016, there will be a shift back to the Dems. And Hillary will bring out a lot of voters including women and minorities. The Republicans have two years and I think they are doomed to failure because of their hostility to women and minority issues and because their record will still be that of creating gridlock, no matter how much they blame Obama for it.

What sucks is how bad they are to the poor and women in red states. Expect that to get worse. They think they have a mandate. They don't.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  11:06:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Val:

What interests me is that the Republicans basically blocked everything they could at the food level. They spent their time blocking things like the jobs bill and going after the ACA, how many times? And yet the voters responded by blaming the Dems this time. Too many Democratic candidates ran away from Obama's record, which is a pretty good one. You don't get the Democratic base by not pointing out Democratic achievements, which include pulling us out of the worst recession since the great depression and bringing healthcare to millions who didn't have it before, steady (even if it's slow) job growth and other things.

Low turnout is also a factor. Angry white guys showed up.

Now the Republicans are on the hot seat. My guess is they will still send up legislation that Obama can't sign because doing nothing has worked for them. Obama will try to find compromise because that's what he does, the Senate will be okay with some of it but the house will torpedo it. Business as usual, with the exception that the contention within the GOP will get even worse.

By all indications, based on what seats will come up in 2016, there will be a shift back to the Dems. And Hillary will bring out a lot of voters including women and minorities. The Republicans have two years and I think they are doomed to failure because of their hostility to women and minority issues and because their record will still be that of creating gridlock, no matter how much they blame Obama for it.

What sucks is how bad they are to the poor and women in red states. Expect that to get worse. They think they have a mandate. They don't.

Yup. 2 years to prove they can deliver at the food level or the wave of pissed offedness will tear into the Republicans. They will have to rein in Cruz and the other Tea Party extremists. Otherwise, nothing will be done and the Republicans will find themselves in the same spot as the Dems found themselves in this go round.

As for Hilary, I'd vote for her.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  12:37:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

As for national races, people are tired of gridlock, they are pissed off at unresponsive leaders (which is why I voted Libertarian in the senate race out here), Cruz will get his when he comes up for re-election.
If the voters are pissed off of the gridlock, they must be fucking stupid to reward the Republicans with their votes. All they've proven is that they are obstructionists, how can anyone in their right mind reward that? -Yeah, lets reward everyone who are causing the problem in the first place!

To the rest of the world, Ebola is more popular than USA.

Well almost. It's become much better since Obama became president. But Republicans don't seem to be happy unless they are making the rest of the world hate you more than the plague.

That being said, I'm not as fearful of America now that you have a democratic president, even though I can't stress enough how much I dislike American intelligence snooping around and peeking around in everu European's keyhole. And I vehemently despise Swedish military intelligence for selling out to American NSA and CIA for unknown favours. You know, anything I write online, every piece of meta-data collected through my cell-phone is passed on from my cell phone service provider and ISP through Swedish military intelligence to American intelligence.
But, I'm starting to rant. Suffice to say, I'm voting Pirate Party.

...Mazlow's heirarcy.
And there's the big mistake of the Democrats.

Honestly, I don't see a change in American politics until the streets are running think with the blood of the Filthy Rich. What your country desperately needs now is a revolution.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  16:26:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Republicans' Inspiring Message on Climate Change

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  12:21:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

If the voters are pissed off of the gridlock, they must be fucking stupid to reward the Republicans with their votes. All they've proven is that they are obstructionists, how can anyone in their right mind reward that? -Yeah, lets reward everyone who are causing the problem in the first place!

Just uninformed. Not stupid. They voted based on the ads served them (which oftentimes were outright lies). Since I actually research history and keep track of what the thieves in Washington are doing, I made my decision on actually knowing the candidates. (Which is why I voted for the Libertarian instead of the Republican running against Dick Durbin. Oberwies is a train wreck.)

To the rest of the world, Ebola is more popular than USA.

Well almost. It's become much better since Obama became president. But Republicans don't seem to be happy unless they are making the rest of the world hate you more than the plague.

That being said, I'm not as fearful of America now that you have a democratic president, even though I can't stress enough how much I dislike American intelligence snooping around and peeking around in everu European's keyhole. And I vehemently despise Swedish military intelligence for selling out to American NSA and CIA for unknown favours. You know, anything I write online, every piece of meta-data collected through my cell-phone is passed on from my cell phone service provider and ISP through Swedish military intelligence to American intelligence.
But, I'm starting to rant. Suffice to say, I'm voting Pirate Party.

American intelligence is out of control. I can understand spying on governments, but individuals is beyond the pale. (Yes, spying on friendly governments has been going on for decades and will for the foreseeable future. They spy on us, too.)

...Mazlow's heirarcy.
And there's the big mistake of the Democrats.

Honestly, I don't see a change in American politics until the streets are running think with the blood of the Filthy Rich. What your country desperately needs now is a revolution.

Which is why we need the 2nd Amendment. One that both parties have an issue with.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.