Growth of the Nones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  11:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Adam Lee:
The Pew Research Center has released a huge new survey of the American religious landscape, showing how the demographics have shifted from 2007 to 2014. And the lede is very, very good for us:
[A] major new survey of more than 35,000 Americans by the Pew Research Center finds that the percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years, from 78.4% in an equally massive Pew Research survey in 2007 to 70.6% in 2014. Over the same period, the percentage of Americans who are religiously unaffiliated – describing themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” – has jumped more than six points, from 16.1% to 22.8%.
As Pew points out, the non-religious as a whole now outnumber every individual Christian denomination in America – including the Catholic church...
Of course it's important to remember that "non-religious" doesn't mean your (or my) particular brand of atheism or agnosticism or what-have-you. But it's still a good sign.

Later:
How is America’s religious right taking the news of their declining numbers and influence? About as well as you might imagine. Rick Santorum says it’s because there aren’t enough anti-choice politicians, Rush Limbaugh said it was the fault of “gay activists” who were able to “bully and steamroll an entire country”, while Bill O’Reilly even more hilariously blamed it on the “rap industry“. As with many apologists, they’re institutionally blind to how their own insistent politicization of religion has turned people off.

One marginally more interesting response comes from “New Atheist God-hater”-hater Damon Linker, who insists, in all seriousness, that religion in America is doing just fine because even nones sometimes say “God bless you” when someone sneezes...
That's funny stuff. Links in the original.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  19:47:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the poll from other sources. Cool though, eh?

What's funny is the RR's response. They can be counted on to say really stupid things.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  16:43:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damon Linker's argument reminds me of the folks who claim I can't really be an atheist because I carry and use US currency - as if one has to take the motto to heart in order for money to have utility (or that one cannot swipe a Sharpie across the motto if one has a spare two seconds).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  17:34:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

(or that one cannot swipe a Sharpie across the motto if one has a spare two seconds).
I like that idea. It needs to become a meme, self replicating and spread far and wide.

More on point with the thread, the changes are likely to be from more than one factor but I feel it's the internet that is likely to be a bigger cause than what those jokers offered up. Other articles written on this research pointed out that while islam is the fastest growing religion by that study, however it's not growing faster than the non-religious segment in the study.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  07:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I like that idea. It needs to become a meme, self replicating and spread far and wide.
The Digital Cuttlefish calls it "Ceremonial De-Deism."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  12:35:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use a fine tipped marker...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.