Bleach should not go there
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2015 :  11:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “Bleach should not go there” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2015 :  15:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Posted to our facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skeptic-Friends-Network/71412339552?ref=ts

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2015 :  19:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many children have been harmed by these treatments? I only ask because the language of the article is pretty heavy on the hyperbole. 'shock' and 'horror' being thrown around as if he was visiting a Nazi death camp.
Obvious though it is to me that these alternative treatments are bogus and/or harmful, I don't think using the shrieking tones of the other side help the scientific case.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2015 :  16:53:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The author isn't making a scientific case. He's linked to people who have.

The author is instead engaged in activism. Angry, passionate, political activism for the protection of those who cannot protect themselves.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

AlexC

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  15:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AlexC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shock and horror aren't appropriate reactions to horrific child abuse, On Fire? I can assure you that there was no hyperbole involved. Those words are simply accurate descriptions of my reactions to what was happening to children I care about.

The article also isn't about making the scientific case that the "treatments" are bogus. It's about the horrific and abusive nature of what's going on and the need for societal condemnation. It is about the need to take a stand.

As for how many children have been harmed, hard numbers are, well, hard to come by. It also depends on just which "treatment" you're talking about. Fecal transplants and whipworm infestation, for instance, never were as popular as IV chelation.

That said, the list of suppliers for OSR is really, really damned long. The chemical castration industry was lucrative enough to support a national network which, at its peak, had around thirteen clinics as I recall (it's been a while), and only started to decline when the lead "doctor" started to lose his medical licenses. A Facebook group dedicated to bleach "treatment" of autistic children had thousands of members before the owner shut it down in favor of more "private" forums.

These are the less popular fake "treatments". I've seen estimates as high as 75% of autistic children (so 75/10,000 in the general population if you go by one of the more commonly cited prevalence figures) being subjected to some form of quackery.

So, to answer your question about how many kids have been harmed? Far, far too many.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  12:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not an uncommon error among Christians to think that they alone have cornered the market on humanism and social justice. It's part of a revisionist mindset on their part. I suppose that's why some of them are surprised and/or don't recognize that Skeptics can also be very passionate about subjects like the quackery of Miracle Mineral Solution.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

halavagen

Sweden
2 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  08:16:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit halavagen's Homepage Send halavagen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree with you Dr. Mabuse!
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Spammer

1 Post

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  06:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to add such post. [Spam link removed - Dave W.] use for site.
Go to Top of Page

farrowpledge
Banned

25 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2021 :  02:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send farrowpledge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is true, Dr.Mabuse. I wonder how have you come to such conclusion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.