Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2016 :  21:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing it for the Clicks, Ms Blumner:
And about those clicks. The most I have ever made in a month blogging from ad revenue sharing was approximately $30. I remember this because I was so excited that it was enough to buy a cheap dress. Let that sink in. $30 in a month. Compare that to your CEO salary, Ms Blumner and come back here and tell me who has more to gain or lose by telling the truth. We independent bloggers are free speech. Money has no effect on what we decide to say. If you believe what you claim, that bloggers are essentially just vultures circling the feeds of famous men, in it for clicks and eyeballs, then you are ignorant on how the internet press works and blind to the damage your partner Mr Dawkins has done to minority voices. Your associate, Mr Dawkins regardless of intent, has encouraged harassment of women (including myself and others on this blog), bigotry and he has evolved over the past few years, like an excruciatingly slow train-wreck, into a very famous troll with literally millions hanging on each of his 140 character texts. Texts that we do not need to misinterpret or unpack because they speak clearly on their own.

Doing it for the clicks is simply another way of saying doing it for the attention. So tell me Ms Blumner, why does Mr Dawkins tweet these things and why do you defend it?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  19:29:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope Dawkins makes a full and speedy recovery.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  23:32:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I hope Dawkins makes a full and speedy recovery.
Me too.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  17:08:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was tweeting again earlier today, so that's good.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  18:22:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Margaret Downey
7 hrs · Newport Beach ·
This is from my friend and associate, Karen Owens:

Richard Dawkins was to appear in February 12, 2016 in London with Jerry Coyne for the British Humanist Association Darwin Day event and later at events in Australia & New Zealand. He had to cancel all events. Since the Sydney Opera House has finally broken the basic story publicly on the reason why, I now feel free to add details before rumors start to fly. Friday night, February 5th, around 5:00 PM (UK time), Richard had a hemorrhagic stroke in the deep white matter of his right brain, affecting his left side. He was alone at home in Oxford. He had the presence of mind to realize he was having a stroke, struggled to his cell phone and called his wife Lalla who was in London at the time. She called a friend who has a key to their house, and then an ambulance. Because of all this, he survived. He was in John Radcliffe hospital until Tuesday the 9th and is now home. Richard underwent his first physical therapy on Wednesday the 10th at home. There are some people who would like to take Richard down and one way would be with rumors that his mind is gone. I'm happy to report that HIS COGNITIVE FACULTIES ARE THUS FAR INTACT. I know this for certain because he sent a few friends, including me, two tapes he made after the stroke, because it was too difficult for him to type Emails. His speech is only minimally impaired. The worst of it is that his face is partially paralyzed on the left. His smile is crooked. He can barely use his left hand and arm. Fortunately, he is right-handed. He has difficulty aiming at and picking things up with his left hand and more difficulty letting them go. The fact that he can use his left hand at all gives great hope for a full recovery. You can wish him well on the Richard Dawkins Foundation website or on Twitter @RichardDawkins.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  19:39:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some people who would like to take Richard down and one way would be with rumors that his mind is gone.
Pretty vicious pre-emptive strike, ain't it?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  00:22:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There are some people who would like to take Richard down and one way would be with rumors that his mind is gone.
I wouldn't assume that it has to do with anything other than his advocacy of atheism. It might be the other stuff, but there isn't enough info. There are a lot of people who don't like Richard Dawkins, and most of them are thiests.

Margaret Downey

I can't find Karen Owens other than as someone who is mentioned in the preface of The God Delusion and The Greatest Show on Earth as one of the people who helped Dawkins.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  02:32:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I couldn't help but cringe when I read that.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  13:53:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking it's this Karen Owens, who is a far-right Islamophobic libertarian who a week ago tweeted that Dawkins has been "unjustly maligned" and that the disinvitation by the NECSS was "bizarre." I'm thinking her pre-emptive strike in the message from Margaret Downey was aimed squarely at what she calls "the regressive left."

Hours ago, she posted a link to this page which, if the embed doesn't work, links to this audio message from Dawkins himself. He considers the disinvitation from the NECSS to be a form of "hate" that stressed him a lot (and given his chronic blood pressure problems he's been advised to avoid stress). But he claims that the stroke occurred the day after he got a letter from the NECSS apologizing and re-inviting him to the conference.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  17:11:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His claim is truth:
We wish to apologize to Professor Dawkins for our handling of his disinvitation to NECSS 2016. Our actions were not professional, and we should have contacted him directly to express our concerns before acting unilaterally. We have sent Professor Dawkins a private communication expressing this as well. This apology also extends to all NECSS speakers, our attendees, and to the broader skeptical movement.

We wish to use this incident as an opportunity to have a frank and open discussion of the deeper issues implicated here, which are causing conflict both within the skeptical community and within society as a whole. NECSS 2016 will therefore feature a panel discussion addressing these topics. There is room for a range of reasonable opinions on these issues and our conversation will reflect that diversity. We have asked Professor Dawkins to participate in this discussion at NECSS 2016 in addition to his prior scheduled talk, and we hope he will accept our invitation.

This statement and our discussions with Professor Dawkins were initiated prior to learning of his recent illness. All of NECSS wishes Professor Dawkins a speedy and full recovery.

The NECSS Executive Committee
Comments Alex Rudewell:
One of the most divisive men in skepticism on a panel about the divisive issues facing the movement. I wonder who they’ll ask to represent the opposing side. I have a guess as to who it won’t be.

Yep, no way this will go wrong.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  18:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh fer cryin out loud.

It will be interesting to see who is invited to be on the panel with Dawkins. I'd like to think that it won't be a total joke. I'm hoping that Steve Novella will see to it that it's not.

All in all though, this is the sort of thing that has me going my own way.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  11:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  13:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I nominate Rebecca Watson. What other nominees from the SFN-board?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  16:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I nominate Rebecca Watson. What other nominees from the SFN-board?
Well that'll never happen. Dawkins won't appear with her.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  21:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Dawkins is still willing to speak to Ophelia Benson.

Don't know if he'll listen to her replies, but at least he'll speak to her...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.