Homeopathy is boring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  19:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Says a researcher:
I had begun the journey with an ‘I don’t know attitude’, curious about whether this unlikely treatment could ever work… but I lost interest after looking at the 57 systematic reviews which contained 176 individual studies and finding no discernible convincing effects beyond placebo.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  19:48:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Says a researcher:
I had begun the journey with an ‘I don’t know attitude’, curious about whether this unlikely treatment could ever work… but I lost interest after looking at the 57 systematic reviews which contained 176 individual studies and finding no discernible convincing effects beyond placebo.

Yeah. 68 conditions up and 68 conditions that homeopathy doesn't show anything more than a possible placebo effect. Why go on?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pixiedust

Canada
1 Post

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  20:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pixiedust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I lost a friend over homeopathy. She was taking a remedy to rehydrate her cells (and thus solve all of her health problems, real or imaginary). Said remedy involved drinking a glass of water every couple of hours with 3 drops of the homeopathic elixir in it. hmmm ... Sadly, I felt I had to tell her the treatment was bogus and a waste of money. I tried to be tactful, but not tactful enough, apparently ... oh well.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  11:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw. Thank for sharing, pixiedust. It's good to see you on the forums.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  08:28:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by pixiedust

Sadly, I lost a friend over homeopathy. She was taking a remedy to rehydrate her cells (and thus solve all of her health problems, real or imaginary). Said remedy involved drinking a glass of water every couple of hours with 3 drops of the homeopathic elixir in it. hmmm ... Sadly, I felt I had to tell her the treatment was bogus and a waste of money. I tried to be tactful, but not tactful enough, apparently ... oh well.

Sad to hear. But according to homeopaths, her 'treatment' should have been extra-powerful. I mean, she took a highly diluted 'medicine', and by putting it in a glass of water she diluted it even more! Holy CRAP! That should tear the hide right off cancer, AIDS, clear up sunburn, and detoxify not only her liver but that of everyone within a 5km radius.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  08:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pixiedust

Some people just don't want to hear it. It's too bad that your friend didn't understand that you were trying to be helpful and take it that way.

I do a lot of that too, though it usually doesn't end friendships. Sometimes it does.

Our job as skeptics is to is to do what we can to get the stuff out of stores, and to educate, as best we can. There have been several successes in Europe and especially in England where state funding for homeopathic hospitals and funding for pharmacies to carry them has been curtailed. The thing is to keep the pressure on

NHS Liverpool CCG ends funding for homeopathy

The Good Thinking Society welcomed today’s decision by NHS Liverpool CCG to decommission homeopathy services. The decision comes after months of public consultation which showed overwhelming support from Liverpool residents for an end to funding.

The report on the consultation, which came about after Good Thinking’s legal challenge to the CCG in February 2015, concluded that 64% of Liverpool residents consulted and 73% of overall respondents wanted to stop homeopathy funding immediately.

Interestingly, the report also found that many respondents did not understand the true nature of homeopathy, suggesting that the number of people calling to an end to the treatment may have been higher if it had been clearer that homeopathic remedies are not the same as ‘herbal’ or ‘natural’ remedies, and in particular that homeopathic remedies typically contain no active ingredient at all.

That last is fairly common I've found. Lots of people think homeopathy covers all herbal remedies. In fact, very often when I point out to someone who lumps herbal remedies in with homeopathy, and explain what it is, they quickly see the ridiculousness of homeopathic remedies.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.