Video critique
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  21:01:04  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Okay, three (3) problems here. 1) This is some guy posting something on the internet. We only have his word for it that these 'tests' were conducted in controlled conditions, with strict scientific protocols. 2) The only thing he has shown (Presuming this is all above board, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here) is that Breyers has different melting characteristics than other ice creams. He has NOT shown that this makes it unhealthy or dangerous. For all we know, the same characteristic that changes the melting quality may grant humans eternal life and mind-blowing sex. 3) He complains that it's unhealthy, but also complains that it's the only one that gets mouldy. That begs the question: what is in the others that makes them mould-resistant? If you are scared of preservatives in food, which seems to be the aim of his video, would you trust a food that did NOT go mouldy? He seems to be contradicting himself.

Doesn't matter to me, we usually buy Chapman's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5TMj4c5FE

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  15:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Rat. Doesn't matter to me either, as I avoid ice cream due to lactose intolerance and diabetes.

Comments disabled.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  15:44:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Agreed, Rat. Doesn't matter to me either, as I avoid ice cream due to lactose intolerance and diabetes.

Comments disabled.

The three of us agree but on my part for completely different reasons. He does nothing to demonstrate why Breyer's should be considered any "less healthy" than the other three or why the others are "more healthy" than Breyer's. I wouldn't buy any of those four half gallon ice scream. In my case it's for the same reasons why all four of those ice screams are illegal to export into the EU or into Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Those governments health and food regulators put the health and welfare of their citizens on a much higher lever than America's FDA or the EPA. And why shouldn't they? They are not staffed by politically appointed corporate insiders. When multiple other countries ban the import of american food products it should speak to those who are buying them but only if they care to listen. While I'm not lactose intolerant nor do I have diabetes, my concerns being older is to not increase my chances to develop prostate issues from consuming to much American dairy products beyond necessary. So living in america ice cream is a relatively rare treat for me, easily less than 6 times a year.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  17:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I beat Snopes to the punch by a full day! (puffs out chest, struts, waits for adulation of fans)

http://www.snopes.com/breyers-ice-cream-melt/

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Edited by - The Rat on 05/16/2016 17:26:07
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  18:09:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of this:

CLAIM: Photographs of a six-year-old Happy Meal document that McDonald's food items don't break down or rot like "real" food.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  18:50:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snopes.

1. It isn't "ice cream" by FDA standards.

2. It isn't unsafe by FDA standards.

Also: Breyer's shouldn't be illegal in some other countries any longer. It was supposed to have stop using rBST-milk about a year ago.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  18:51:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dangit. I should have refreshed before posting, obviously.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.