Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  22:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, crappy videos that mock Richard Dawkins won't be very convincing, because I mock Richard Dawkins. And, they're crappy videos.

If you can't offer something that isn't an argumentum ad YouTube, don't bother.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

darwinalogos2

22 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  22:36:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwinalogos2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0-EgjUhRqA
Go to Top of Page

darwinalogos2

22 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  23:39:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwinalogos2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI
Go to Top of Page

darwinalogos2

22 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2016 :  23:47:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwinalogos2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  10:20:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faith is pretending to know something regardless of evidence or even contrary to evidence.

Muslims feel truth from reading their scriptures and listening to imams. Christians feel truth from reading their scriptures and listening to preachers. Buddhists feel the truth from meditation guided by gurus. Getting your fallible human ape brain to feel the truth does not necessarily mean that you have found it. You need credible evidence, not claims and fiction.

Even with evidence, you can still be wrong due to confirmation bias. Human ape brains are so easily fooled, especially when they want to be.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  08:21:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it looks like DA is finished.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  09:54:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ran across a series of blog posts by Dr. Frank Zindler. He begins with the idea that the city of Nazareth is a myth:
...there could never have been a Jesus of Nazareth if there was no Nazareth.
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Then he delves into the question of whether Jesus had a body:

Part 6

And then into full-on mythicism and responses to criticisms of mythicism:

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  12:59:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by darwinalogos2

and he mentions stuff in trival that are corrobratted by other historins not to mention all the people and places he mentionions that are accurate

The Amazing Spiderman is told to live on Manhattan, a place we know to exist. His pal Matt Murdoch lives in Hell's Kitchen, which also exists. It doesn't make the Spiderman story true.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  08:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"NAZARETHGATE" hehe
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  18:43:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Reading back, it occurred to me that my argument might be seen as an indictment of Richard Carrier's work. No. I admire Professor Carrier's style...
In light of recent revelations I thought I'd clarify the above point (from page one) by saying I admire Carrier's academic style, not his "style" regarding hitting on students, ignoring boundaries and not taking "no" at face value.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  20:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Reading back, it occurred to me that my argument might be seen as an indictment of Richard Carrier's work. No. I admire Professor Carrier's style...
In light of recent revelations I thought I'd clarify the above point (from page one) by saying I admire Carrier's academic style, not his "style" regarding hitting on students, ignoring boundaries and not taking "no" at face value.

Aw fuck, if true, and odd considering his long blog critique of Michael Shermer a few years ago. It was that post that made me take notice of Richard Carrier and admire his thoroughness and humor.

...and I was pleasantly surprised when he followed me on Twitter.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  19:57:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Aw fuck, if true, and odd considering his long blog critique of Michael Shermer a few years ago.
Well, to be fair, the difference is that one seems to think that hours-long conversations are a signal that a proposition is in order, while the other thinks that plying women with alcohol in order to eliminate the question of consent is acceptable.

In other words, one is a creepy guy who doesn't seem to understand when he's crossed the line until it's too late and can't learn from his mistakes (or insists they weren't mistakes), while the other is a sexual predator who knows exactly where the line is and actively seeks to erase it.

I'm not saying Carrier shouldn't be banned from Skepticon or thrown off FtB. I'm not trying to minimize what Carrier did. I'm saying that not all harassment is equal in its level of immorality, and so it's neither surprising nor hypocritical for Carrier to have railed against a probable serial rapist. Inappropriately making passes at women isn't nearly the same thing as getting them drunk and raping them.

Just like (to maybe bring things back around to the topic) claiming here, at SFN, that Jesus was a real flesh-and-blood human/god hybrid is a far cry from actively attempting to mold the Federal government around the Ten Commandments. The potential damage to victims is vastly different.

(I know that Carrier did other things besides inappropriate propositioning - like how he oddly thinks that prohibiting consensual sex between teachers and students revokes the students' "agency" - but I'm just trying to be illustrative.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2016 :  07:47:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Carrier quits Freethought Blogs.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/06/23/statement-on-richard-carriers-voluntary-departure-from-our-network/
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  01:03:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny how the whole atheist community completely turned on Dawkins just because he's an old man and his views are slightly behind the regressive left.

Kind of savage behaviour, almost reminiscent of how Native American tribes would leave the elderly behind when they slowed down the tribe. No matter how great a warrior, hunter, teacher that person had been in their prime.

Regarding Jesus, it seems rather moot since as everyone should know by now, we walk by faith, not by sight.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  04:38:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It's funny how the whole atheist community completely turned on Dawkins just because he's an old man and his views are slightly behind the regressive left.
The whole atheist community? Hardly. Just because? No.

Nice to see your ageism on display, too.
Kind of savage behaviour, almost reminiscent of how Native American tribes would leave the elderly behind when they slowed down the tribe.
And racism.
Regarding Jesus, it seems rather moot since as everyone should know by now, we walk by faith, not by sight.
darwinalogos seemed to disagree with that sentiment:
Faith as i understand is confidence... That's how the NT understands "faith". When John the Baptist started doubting that Jesus was the Messiah he sent his disciples to have Jesus reaffirm he was the Messiah (Mt.11:1-7) Jesus didn't rebuke John but told his disciples to recount the "things they had seen" people healed, blind see, ect. In other words the evidence of the things saw should comfort their teacher in prison that Jesus is indeed the Messiah.
Edited to add:
...the regressive left.
I didn't want to reply to this until I'd had some more time to think about it, but I still don't get it. Regressive in what way? Do you think there are people on the left who long for a return to times gone by, when people who weren't old, white men had fewer freedoms than they do today? Can you give us an example of a regressive leftist? By name?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.