If Christmas is a Christian holiday...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  04:57:02  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

... why do/did Christians - since before the Catholic Church as we know it - celebrate "The Feast of the Immaculate Conception" in the beginning of December?

That would mean that Jesus was born in September, not at Christmas.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  15:25:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Immaculate Conception" refers to the belief that Mary was conceived without original sin. Couldn't have the Savior born to a woman contaminated with original sin, so the RC church unilaterally decided Mary was the only human born without it. Somehow things were fine for 1700 years until some theologian pointed out the problem and the church decided a new feast day was in order.

It's only tangentially related to the birth of Jesus.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  10:16:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

... why do/did Christians - since before the Catholic Church as we know it - celebrate "The Feast of the Immaculate Conception" in the beginning of December?

No, that was when they got the pregnancy test results. Things were a little slower in those days.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2016 :  15:53:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by TG

...Couldn't have the Savior born to a woman contaminated with original sin...

Sure they could. It's magic. Anything goes. Just get believers to feel truth and they'll arrogantly think they have it.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  13:29:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah... My bad. It was the conception of Mary, not the conception of Jesus. Doh!

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2016 :  01:02:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every time I think of the mental gymnastics that catholics have to go through I laugh. Then I feel sorry for them. They don't understand how hot the Lake Of Fire is.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  09:25:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Every time I think of the mental gymnastics that catholics have to go through I laugh. Then I feel sorry for them. They don't understand how hot the Lake Of Fire is.
Please, please don't ever think to refrain from criticizing other religions around here, OFfC. The overwhelming hypocrisy makes me laugh out loud every damn time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2016 :  08:36:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Christian Hedonist
Skeptic Friend

99 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  13:39:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Christian Hedonist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

We will probably never know the exact date he was born but most Christians select Dec 25 to celebrate his birth. It is as good as any other day.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  14:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dec 25 is fine for celebrating; but in the northern hemisphere, the weather is often suboptimal for travel.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  15:50:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Christian Hedonist

We will probably never know the exact date he was born but most Christians select Dec 25 to celebrate his birth.
To some Christians, it's really important that Jesus died on the same calendar day that he was conceived.

(Add in as many "allegedly"s as needed - I lose track so easily.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Christian Hedonist
Skeptic Friend

99 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  18:12:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Christian Hedonist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

We will probably never know the exact date he was born but most Christians select Dec 25 to celebrate his birth.
To some Christians, it's really important that Jesus died on the same calendar day that he was conceived.

(Add in as many "allegedly"s as needed - I lose track so easily.)
Interesting article. In the end the bible does not say and it does not indicate that it is important. If it was so important it would be in the bible.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  21:26:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If it was so important it would be in the bible.
That's an interesting take on the book. I suppose it involves a lot of broadening of categories. I mean, the Bible doesn't mention anything about any land in the western hemisphere, or our democratic form of government, but we've got all sorts of Christians around here claiming that the U.S.A. has been blessed and our freedoms are proof of that.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Christian Hedonist
Skeptic Friend

99 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  07:20:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Christian Hedonist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

If it was so important it would be in the bible.
That's an interesting take on the book. I suppose it involves a lot of broadening of categories. I mean, the Bible doesn't mention anything about any land in the western hemisphere, or our democratic form of government, but we've got all sorts of Christians around here claiming that the U.S.A. has been blessed and our freedoms are proof of that.
I agree. It doesn't even say what form of government we are supposed to have. It does give some responsibilities of government in Romans 13. As far as our freedoms and rights come from the men that wrote the constitution. I don't see anywhere in the bible where the freedoms outlined in the constitution come from god. You can maybe make a case that Romans 13:1 means that our freedoms come from god since he instituted all governments but if they were universal then why do tyrannical governments exist?

My take is that Jesus mostly ignored governments and focused on how we should live individually, not how to construct governments or policies. He basically said you do instead of government doing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.