Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  04:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

well I'm not a dead irradiated husk yet so I consider this an achievment.
So the bar is set so low for Trump that it's underground.

Probably in a bunker.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  18:28:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manchester attack: US leaks about bomber irritating - Rudd - Remember, when Trump complains about leaks, they're probably from his people.

Snopes on Trump's accomplishments - A mixture, of course.

Carrier plant that Trump saved will lay off hundreds right before Christmas

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  09:16:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So both Presidents Obama and Trump have visited Yad Vashem - The World Holocaust Remembrance Center. As is tradition, they both wrote something in the museum's guestbook. See if you can figure out which note (A or B, below) was written by Obama, and which by Trump.

Note A:
I am grateful to Yad Vashem and all of those responsible for this remarkable institution. At a time of great peril and promise, war and strife, we are blessed to have such a powerful reminder of man’s potential for great evil, but also our capacity to rise up from tragedy and remake our world. Let our children come here, and know this history, so that they can add their voices to proclaim ‘never again’. And may we remember those who perished, not only as victims, but also as individuals who hoped and loved and dreamed like us, and who have become symbols of the human spirit.
Note B:
IT IS A GREAT HONOR TO BE HERE WITH ALL OF MY FRIENDS — SO AMAZING & WILL NEVER FORGET!
So. Hard. To. Decide...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  16:56:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

So both Presidents Obama and Trump have visited Yad Vashem - The World Holocaust Remembrance Center. As is tradition, they both wrote something in the museum's guestbook. See if you can figure out which note (A or B, below) was written by Obama, and which by Trump.

Note A:
I am grateful to Yad Vashem and all of those responsible for this remarkable institution. At a time of great peril and promise, war and strife, we are blessed to have such a powerful reminder of man’s potential for great evil, but also our capacity to rise up from tragedy and remake our world. Let our children come here, and know this history, so that they can add their voices to proclaim ‘never again’. And may we remember those who perished, not only as victims, but also as individuals who hoped and loved and dreamed like us, and who have become symbols of the human spirit.
Note B:
IT IS A GREAT HONOR TO BE HERE WITH ALL OF MY FRIENDS — SO AMAZING & WILL NEVER FORGET!
So. Hard. To. Decide...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  18:19:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone seriously thinks it's a joke, check Snopes. My source for the Trump note had it wrong: no ampersand, Trump used a plus sign (which is much worse). Also, be sure to note the switching between upper-case and lower-case letters. I do that all the time, but I know that despite being old, I still write like a child (I've hated writing by hand for as long as I can remember - thankfully ubiquitous keyboards are consistently reducing the need for me to write anything anymore).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  19:11:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trump at NATO: "Diplomatically, the speech was inept at best and deliberately insulting at worst."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  09:21:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It’s All About Trump’s Contempt:
What would happen to West Virginia if all these Trump policies went into effect? Basically, it would be apocalyptic: Hundreds of thousands would lose health insurance; medical debt and untreated conditions would surge; and there would be an explosion in extreme poverty, including a lot of outright hunger.

Oh, and it’s not just about crucial benefits, it’s also about jobs. Coal isn’t coming back; these days, West Virginia’s biggest source of employment is health care and social assistance. How many of those jobs would survive savage cuts in Medicaid and disability benefits?

Now, to be fair, the Trump budget would protect West Virginians from the ravages of the estate tax, which affects around 20 — that’s right, 20 — of the state’s residents each year.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  20:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ongoing Adventures of James Comey, Man of Integritude(TM):
So, to summarize:
  • Comey knew no later than June that Russian officials were trying to ratfuck the election on behalf of Trump.
  • At no point during the campaign did Comey inform the public about what Russia was doing.
  • He also knew that the “scandal” surrounding Clinton’s email server was the Trump line of attack that was getting the most traction in the media.
  • His response was…to violate norms and/or departmental rules to issue multiple prejudicial statements about Clinton’s email server. The last of these statements was a letter prematurely informing Congress about an investigation that had virtually no chance of revealing material information about Clinton less than two weeks before the election. We can perhaps call this response “the Russians can’t ratfuck the election if we ratfuck it first!”
  • Conversely, he sat on his hands while FBI sources got a crucial “nothing to see here” story about Russia and Trump planted in the New York Times, at the same time an unprecedented cascade of negative coverage resulting from Comey’s letter was hitting Clinton.
The charitable interpretation is that these indefensible decisions were made solely to Protect the Integrity of the Bureau. A major problem with this defense is that “acting to minimize [Republican] criticism, even if it means violating critical rules and norms and presenting a very misleading picture to the public” is pretty much the antithesis of integrity. Acting with integrity would be “I’m going to follow the rules and I don’t give a shit what Jason Chaffetz has to say about it, and I’m certainly not going to be manipulated by Russian propaganda, let alone advance exactly the narrative they’re trying to push.”...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  13:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That people still support Trump and think he's going a good job is a testament to humanity's limitless potential of ignorance and gullibility. Fucking pathetic.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  19:38:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I listened to most of Trump's address today. Every time he said "believe me," I heard "fuck you all."

It's both absolutely astounding and utterly expected that he couched his refusal of the Paris Accord in economic terms. Because the green economy is definitely booming, but fuck those guys who (for example) install solar panels. The "real" jobs are in the mines. But nobody is going to get their mining jobs back because of Trump's rejection of Paris. The few coal-mining jobs that are being created today are for steel production, not energy.

And California has already shown the nation the way to increase jobs and reduce carbon output and grow the economy simultaneously: there are ten times as many wind and solar jobs in California alone than there are coal-mining jobs in the entire nation.

Trump's actions do nothing to give anyone in Youngstown, Ohio (a city he cited) their jobs back. Those jobs left over forty fucking years ago when Big Steel left the town. Trump would have to eliminate the minimum wage and re-instate child labor to get those jobs back to that particular city. Making coal a tiny bit less expensive by allowing the wanton pollution of the local environment will do nothing. If Trump really gave a damn about jobs in Youngstown, Ohio, he would dramatically increase the Federal subsidies for higher education, because the city's primary employment is with the local university now.

Trump said, in his address, that the U.S. is being laughed at by other countries. Yeah: because we elected you, asshat.

And then, Scott Pruitt, the unironically anti-environment head of the EPA, walked up to the mic and effectively fellated Trump in front of everyone. Pruitt had the balls to assert that Trump's action was the result of listening to the American People, but polls show 70% of us (or so) are in favor of the Paris Accord. We didn't elect a climate-change denier, we elected a reality denier and he's staffing his administration with people willing to agree with his delusions.

Trump’s Stupid and Reckless Climate Decision:
People say, if all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail. We should be so lucky. President Trump has a hammer, but all he’ll use it for is to smash things that others have built, as the world looks on in wonder and in fear. The latest, most troubling example is his decision to obliterate the Paris climate accord: After nearly 200 years of scientific inquiry and over 20 years of patient diplomacy that united every nation save Syria and Nicaragua, we had this afternoon’s big game-show Rose Garden reveal: Count us out.

It’s a stupid and reckless decision — our nation’s dumbest act since launching the war in Iraq. But it’s not stupid and reckless in the normal way. Instead, it amounts to a thorough repudiation of two of the civilizing forces on our planet: diplomacy and science. It undercuts our civilization’s chances of surviving global warming, but it also undercuts our civilization itself, since that civilization rests in large measure on those two forces.
Please note that experts on the Paris Accord seem to expect Nicaragua to sign on. So out of all the nations on the planet, it'll just be the U.S. and Syria that won't agree, and Syria at least has the excuse of being in the midst of a brutal civil war.

The U.S. could have led the whole world in climate policy, economics, technology, etc. Obama practically dragged China to the Paris Accord. But since last week, the world appears to be looking at over there, at China, for such leadership. Good going, Trump. "America First" my fat ass.

I predict that within ten years, the majority of the products we regular people buy to ameliorate carbon and climate change will not only be made in China, but will have been invented there, too.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  20:12:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ophelia Benson has Obama's reaction to Trump's "decision":
A year and a half ago, the world came together in Paris around the first-ever global agreement to set the world on a low-carbon course and protect the world we leave to our children.

It was steady, principled American leadership on the world stage that made that achievement possible. It was bold American ambition that encouraged dozens of other nations to set their sights higher as well. And what made that leadership and ambition possible was America’s private innovation and public investment in growing industries like wind and solar – industries that created some of the fastest new streams of good-paying jobs in recent years, and contributed to the longest streak of job creation in our history.

Simply put, the private sector already chose a low-carbon future. And for the nations that committed themselves to that future, the Paris Agreement opened the floodgates for businesses, scientists, and engineers to unleash high-tech, low-carbon investment and innovation on an unprecedented scale.

The nations that remain in the Paris Agreement will be the nations that reap the benefits in jobs and industries created. I believe the United States of America should be at the front of the pack. But even in the absence of American leadership; even as this Administration joins a small handful of nations that reject the future; I’m confident that our states, cities, and businesses will step up and do even more to lead the way, and help protect for future generations the one planet we’ve got.
The bit about the private sector is an important point: the idea that major companies are "going green" merely to appease their leftie customers is ludicrous. Wind power costs are down 66% per installed kilowatt compared to ten years ago, and solar is down 80%. Going green even makes sense for the average consumer, since LED bulbs are cheaper, last longer and use a small fraction of even CFL lights now. The green economy is green not only because it "saves the planet," but because it keeps dollars in your wallet.

The Coal Museum of Kentucky is powered by solar, FFS.

In other news: Set List for the Band at President Trump’s Rose Garden Speech Announcing the United States Pulling Out of the Global Climate Accord:
“Celebratory mood in the White House Rose Garden for Paris announcement. A jazz band is playing.” — Jonathan Swan, Axios

“Heat Wave” – Martha and the Vandellas

“Hot in Herre” – Nelly

“The Heat is On” – Glenn Frey

“Hotter Than Hell” – Kiss

“Burning Down the House” – Talking Heads

“I Melt With You” – Modern English

“I’m Not Dead (I’m in Pittsburgh) – Frank Black

“Coal Miner’s Daughter” – Loretta Lynn

“Smoke on the Water” – Deep Purple

“Smoke Gets in Your Eyes – The Platters

“Drown in My Own Tears” – Ray Charles

“Eve of Destruction” – Barry McGuire

“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” – Blue Φyster Cult

“It’s the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” – R.E.M.
Not subtle humor, but I still like it.

Oh, and someone I read today (can't recall who) pointed out that the "identity politics" of the right is nothing more than "fuck the left." The left is looking for representatives who will bring forth broad, coherent and progressive change in our nation, while people on the right appear to be content with electing people on the basis of who hates the left more, and nothing else.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  20:26:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The left is looking for representatives who will bring forth broad, coherent and progressive change in our nation

Like Hilary Clinton?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  20:56:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

The left is looking for representatives who will bring forth broad, coherent and progressive change in our nation
Like Hilary Clinton?
Yes.

Don't be a victim of Clinton Derangement Syndrome, OFfC.

Or at least find a support group.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2017 :  11:05:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Liberals Hate Him, Then Trump Must Be Doing Something Right:
...[M]uch of the conservative news media is now less pro-Trump than it is anti-anti-Trump. The distinction is important, because anti-anti-Trumpism has become the new safe space for the right.

Here is how it works: Rather than defend President Trump’s specific actions, his conservative champions change the subject to (1) the biased “fake news” media, (2) over-the-top liberals, (3) hypocrites on the left, (4) anyone else victimizing Mr. Trump or his supporters and (5) whataboutism, as in “What about Obama?” “What about Clinton?”

For the anti-anti-Trump pundit, whatever the allegation against Mr. Trump, whatever his blunders or foibles, the other side is always worse.

But the real heart of anti-anti-Trumpism is the delight in the frustration and anger of his opponents. Mr. Trump’s base is unlikely to hold him either to promises or tangible achievements, because conservative politics is now less about ideas or accomplishments than it is about making the right enemies cry out in anguish.

Mr. Trump’s most vocal supporters don’t have to defend his specific actions as long as they make liberal heads explode, or as Sarah Palin put it so memorably, “It’s really funny to me to see the splodey heads keep sploding.” If liberals hate something, the argument goes, then it must be wonderful and worthy of aggressive defense. Each controversy reinforces the divisions and the distrust, and Mr. Trump counts on that.

For many in the conservative movement, this sort of anti-anti-Trumpism is the solution to the painful conundrum posed by the Trump presidency. With a vast majority of conservative voters and listeners solidly behind Mr. Trump, conservative critics of the president find themselves isolated and under siege. But, as Damon Linker noted, anti-anti-Trumpism “allows the right to indulge its hatred of liberals and liberalism while sidestepping the need for a reckoning with the disaster of the Trump administration itself.”

This is also a much sounder business model than airing doubts about the president. Conservative media is, of course, a business that relies on ratings, and few things generate ratings more quickly than bashing liberals. In this case, it is more profitable for talk show hosts to play down Mr. Trump’s failures while piling on his enemies.

The ad hominem argument is rightly regarded as a logical fallacy because it substitutes personal attacks for a discussion of the argument someone is making. But on many talk shows, including Mr. Limbaugh’s, nearly every argument is ad hominem. Instead of offering statistics and building a case, it is easier to simply make fun of a Trump critic like Representative Maxine Waters, or shrug off a negative report because it came from the “lamestream media.”

Not surprisingly, the vast majority of airtime on conservative media is not taken up by issues or explanations of conservative approaches to markets or need to balance liberty with order. Why bother with such stuff, when there were personalities to be mocked and left-wing moonbats to be ridiculed?

What may have begun as a policy or a tactic in opposition has long since become a reflex. But there is an obvious price to be paid for essentially becoming a party devoted to trolling. In the long run, it’s hard to see how a party dedicated to liberal tears can remain a movement based on ideas or centered on principles.

Conservatives will care less about governing and more about scoring “wins” — and inflicting losses on the left — no matter how hollow the victories or flawed the policies. Ultimately, though, this will end badly because it is a moral and intellectual dead end, and very likely a political one as well.

The right’s reaction to the firing of Mr. Comey hardly bodes well. Even conservatives who are still smarting from his handling of Hillary Clinton’s emails should recognize that the timing of Mr. Comey’s abrupt dismissal in the midst of a growing investigation into Russian meddling raises fundamental questions about the rule of the law and the possibility that justice is being obstructed.

As the right doubles down on anti-anti-Trumpism, it will find itself goaded into defending and rationalizing ever more outrageous conduct just as long as it annoys CNN and the left.

In many ways anti-anti-Trumpism mirrors Donald Trump himself, because at its core there are no fixed values, no respect for constitutional government or ideas of personal character, only a free-floating nihilism cloaked in insult, mockery and bombast.

Needless to say, this is not a form of conservatism that Edmund Burke, or even Barry Goldwater, would have recognized.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2017 :  11:08:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trump Gratuitously Rejects the Paris Climate Accord:
Why, then, are so many people on the right determined to block climate action, and even trying to sabotage the progress we’ve been making on new energy sources?

Don’t tell me that they’re honestly worried about the inherent uncertainty of climate projections. All long-term policy choices must be made in the face of an uncertain future (duh); there’s as much scientific consensus here as you’re ever likely to see on any issue. And in this case, uncertainty arguably strengthens the case for action, because the costs of getting it wrong are asymmetric: Do too much, and we’ve wasted some money; do too little, and we’ve doomed civilization.

Don’t tell me that it’s about coal miners. Anyone who really cared about those miners would be crusading to protect their health, disability and pension benefits, and trying to provide alternative employment opportunities — not pretending that environmental irresponsibility will somehow bring back jobs lost to strip mining and mountaintop removal.

While it isn’t about coal jobs, right-wing anti-environmentalism is in part about protecting the profits of the coal industry, which in 2016 gave 97 percent of its political contributions to Republicans.

As I said, however, these days the fight against climate action is largely driven by sheer spite.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds.