Discord: text and voice chat replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  20:59:29  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recommend replacing our outmoded and clunky text chat with https://discordapp.com that provides both text and voice. If you don't want voice, don't use it.

It can run completely in a browser or via an application on a variety of operating systems. It's very easy to create an account and set up your own server. After creating a server, you can invite people and provide a permanent invitation link that doesn't expire.

For example, https://discord.gg/kj5u4mq in a permanent invitation link to my Discord server.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  10:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

I recommend replacing our outmoded and clunky text chat with https://discordapp.com that provides both text and voice. If you don't want voice, don't use it.

It can run completely in a browser or via an application on a variety of operating systems. It's very easy to create an account and set up your own server. After creating a server, you can invite people and provide a permanent invitation link that doesn't expire.

For example, https://discord.gg/kj5u4mq in a permanent invitation link to my Discord server.

Dave. Is there a way that we could make this work?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  20:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be easy to replace skepticfriends.org links to Chat with a permanent link to a Discord invitation.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  07:36:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But can we marge a Discord interface into an SFN page, like our chat is now?

And having to sign up for a separate Discord account may not be seen as all that welcoming. Sure, it only needs to be done once, but how many people new to SFN chat will do it even that once?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  07:38:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, one can "skip setup," but it's in pretty tiny print.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  11:35:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So can this be made to work?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  17:27:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see a way to make it look like the chat is being hosted on SFN pages.

We can always link to external chat engines. That would never be a problem. If you want it to look like it does now, then there's a problem.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  18:39:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I didn't see a way to make it look like the chat is being hosted on SFN pages.

We can always link to external chat engines. That would never be a problem. If you want it to look like it does now, then there's a problem.
Well... Is there a lot that people would have to go through to get into an SFN chat? And can the room be called SFN Chat?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  09:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There'd be a link, like Thor's second link in the OP. And then people would have to know to click the "skip setup" bit to avoid having to log into a Discord user account. (Admins, I'm sure, would require Discord accounts.)

I wish Thor would offer a few more opinions on this, too. I'm no Discord expert.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.