urine therapy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MagicMissy
Banned

Philippines
45 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  08:50:52  Show Profile Send MagicMissy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My partner is so scared of going to therapy for his panic attacks. Of course, because he hasn't yet accepted that he has panic attacks. Lately, a friend had advised him to drink his urine when he wakes up in the morning. He really must be that afraid, because he is now on his 5th day of 'urine therapy' rather than seeking professional help.

I read about it on the net. It was widely used in China and had good reviews. I don't know. What about you? Have you tried it or do you know someone who has tried it?

MagicMissy

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I say on my Debunkatron.com, urine therapy can help you survive life-threatening dehydration in unusual circumstances, but it's more myth than medicine.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:32:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by MagicMissy

My partner is so scared of going to therapy for his panic attacks. Of course, because he hasn't yet accepted that he has panic attacks. Lately, a friend had advised him to drink his urine when he wakes up in the morning. He really must be that afraid, because he is now on his 5th day of 'urine therapy' rather than seeking professional help.

I read about it on the net. It was widely used in China and had good reviews. I don't know. What about you? Have you tried it or do you know someone who has tried it?
I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend following the links I've provided.

See: http://skepdic.com/urine.html

Or this: https://www.medicinenet.com/urine_therapy/views.htm

Urine therapy, urotherapy, and urinotherapy are terms that have been used to refer to the use of one's own urine as a medicinal aid. There are no medical or scientific data to support this dubious practice, but it has roots in history and in some religious and spiritual traditions. In certain cultures, urine has been used as a skin protectant, an anti-infectious agent, and a tooth whitener, among myriad other uses, but none of these claims have ever been substantiated by medical research. Even the popular folk remedy of urinating on jellyfish stings has no medical basis and may actually worsen the injury.

Wikipedia lists urine therapy as a pseudoscience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_topics_characterized_as_pseudoscience

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  23:07:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

About 20 years ago I had panic attacks for a few months due to a stressful life situation (parent died, sudden job stress, and girlfriend broke up with me all within one month). The passage of time resolved a lot of this for me, but I supplemented time with reading on the subject in order to understand what was going on in my head. Not as good as actual therapy, but understanding what's going on does help. I realized that if the attacks continued I should see a professional, but in my case they subsided and never returned, so additional help was not needed.

You might want to talk to a professional yourself and ask for advice on how to convince your partner get help.

I hope things work out well for both of you.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

bluewaves

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  06:49:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bluewaves a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is gross.

Tony Lane
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  14:46:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Panic attacks (anxiety) really sux. In my 20's they were so bad to the point of vomiting. It felt like reality itself was collapsing. I finally got over it and now rarely have such anxiety and lasting only several minutes instead of most every waking moment like it did.
Go to Top of Page

bluewaves

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  06:05:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bluewaves a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good for you. Stress really is bad for the body.

Tony Lane
Go to Top of Page

MagicMissy
Banned

Philippines
45 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  07:28:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MagicMissy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I did find it gross at first but then when I read about it I considered it being a kind of help for him. My friends have been advising me and telling me, "Talk to your boyfriend," https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/relations/how-to-talk-to-your-boyfriend-to-improve-your-relationship/ or else our relationship would suffer because of these panic attacks. I've seen a lot of these relationships go down the drain because of panic and other mental illnesses.

I don't know what to do to help anymore. I may need to convince him to try online therapy as he hates having to visit a clinic.

MagicMissy
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpring

Philippines
4 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2017 :  23:30:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AutumnSpring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, try to talk and convince him for an online therapy. It may help.

AutumnSpring
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  12:04:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I smell something fishy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  13:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I smell something fishy.

Eeyup, spammy senses tingling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.