General Discussion
 My issue with Musk sending a Tesla into space
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Coveny

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  23:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Coveny's Homepage Send Coveny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’ve always been a big fan of magnetic levitation trains in vacuum tubes like the Virgin hyperloop. This project is inspiring. It could bring the globe together and better the lives of everyone on the planet. The concept is from Musk and it’s awesome on many different levels, but he’s not backing that horse. He wants to go to space, but rather than working with the maglev technology of a Startram he’s trying to re-invent the wheel with fossil fuel based rockets. To add insult to injury for his first package into space he sent a Tesla as a publicity stunt. I share the sadness for the waste of an opportunity for research and advancement that this represents.
http://www.iflscience.com/space/not-everyone-is-happy-about-elon-musk-sending-his-car-into-space/

And it’s not like Musk isn’t renewable energy conscious. His solar collecting shingles are very nice, and pretty cool. Even if I’m his Powerwall is un-inspiring it’s at least an attempt to move away from fossil fuels.

Now I tried to think positively about this. I tried to convince myself that this is just advertising, and it’s working. I should admit that a lot of people are talking about it. I’ll also admit that as this was the maiden voyage so as Musk said, “there is a good chance this monster rocket blows up”, but the whole thing just seems like such a waste to me. He could have easily sent up expendable experiments, or I’m sure he could have gotten some investors to take a risk with a contingency that if the rocket blew up they wouldn’t have to pay for the trip, but if it was successful they had to pay him and he could have recouped some much-needed capital on his passion project.

I get the infatuation with space, but it just seems like to me that he’s throwing reason out the window in pursue of his dreams.

ForDebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates working and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fordebating
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAd2N-FTqbq14lsJZjr6GQ

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  13:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sending a Tesla into space wasn’t such a dumb idea

The Symbolism of Elon Musk Sending a Car Into Space

Thing is, with only a 50/50 chance of the Heavy Falcon not blowing up, is the cost of a more science productive payload worth the risk? And let's face it. Even for a test flight a lot of science is happening, including the orbit of the Tesla that demonstrates a way to bring provisions and science back and forth from Mars, the landing of multiple first stages from the same flight and the size of the payload (weight) that can be delivered and sent off to other planets. I don't think Musk came anywhere close to sacrificing science for publicity in this launch considering that it did show what is possible. I guess I don't mind a bit of playfulness because it hopefully has a way of firing up people with the idea that manned spaceflight is both exciting and science worthy, which has been somewhat lost over the years.

I'm not sure why you think Musk has thrown the maglev technology and his involvement in it overboard for SpaceX. The fact is, SpaceX is already a going concern and so is Tesla. Musk has said that he will help work on the technology and also announced that he's back in the game. And you know... Musk is also an idea man. If other companies build on his concept, I see nothing wrong with that.

This is from February 2nd of this year. Everything you ever wanted to know about Elon Musk's fever-dream train-in-a-tube.

Oh, and Elon Musk is back in the game. The hyperloop progenitor started by hosting a series of student engineering competitions, using a short length of tube he built at SpaceX’s headquarters. Then, last summer, he confirmed he wants to build a hyperloop of his own. His plans are particularly vague, but he thinks the tubular system would go great with the tunnels he wants to create using another new venture, the Boring Company.

Given what this flight and what Musk has accomplished so far, I'd have to say it's nit-picking to complain about sending a Tesla into space. It made me happy to see "Don't Panic," a reference to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy" on the dashboard. I sincerely doubt that future missions will be as playful. But given the nature of this test flight, it felt a bit like the cherry on the cake.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  18:39:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rumor has it there was a copy of Hitchhiker's in the glove box. The whole Starman thing was also an homage to Heavy Metal.

I'm gonna give Coveny one more shot at posting something on this discussion forum that he sticks around and discusses. I'm getting sick of the drive-by ads-that-look-like-posts thing.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  21:14:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Rumor has it there was a copy of Hitchhiker's in the glove box. The whole Starman thing was also an homage to Heavy Metal.
Really? I thought it was a reference to David Bowie's, Starman.
Huh.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  22:26:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name may have been for Bowie, but the image of a space-suited driver in a convertible? Straight outta Heavy Metal.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Malachi Hammer

4 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  10:22:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Malachi Hammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So neat and surreal seeing our planet reflected off a car! Here is a different angle of the car https://i.imgur.com/cSkrzdF.gifv
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.