Conspiracy Theories
 UFO?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DannyBoy

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  04:04:24  Show Profile  Visit DannyBoy's Homepage Send DannyBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys
What do you thing about UFO? My wife is really religious person and she said its impossible that UFO exsists, because the whole world was created by God and there is nothing about UFO in Bible. I read in newspaper about Roswell and the truth was that United States Army Air Forces balloon crashed and there was no UFO. I'm really confused about that. What do you thing about the UFO, live on different planets?

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  21:30:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The designation "UFO" means Unidentified Flying Object. It means it's an areal object that has yet to be identified. There is no reason to assume an unidentified object is of alien origin. The vast majority of once unidentified objects, after investigation, become both identified and of clearly terrestrial origin, like the weather balloon found at Roswell, and not of extraterrestrial origin.

That said, the universe is a very big place. There are more stars than there are grains of sand and most of those stars have planets orbiting them. I think the idea that earth is the only place in the universe that supports life is very unlikely. It's almost certain that microbial life exists out there. And given the age of the universe, some 13 billion years, it seems to me likely that advanced civilizations have come and gone and some are possibly out there now. Maybe many of them.

The thing is, vast distances and the time it would take to traverse those distances probably rules out visitations from aliens even if they were inclined to visit us. Aside from life, while maybe special in the immediate neighborhood of the galaxy that we inhabit, there is nothing particularly special about the earth. The conditions here that allows for life to arise, survive and evolve might be rather rare, but given the size of the universe, it could mean that there are millions of planets that support life in the way ours does. And then there is the possibility that we don't know of every life supporting condition and the carbon based lifeforms that exist here is only one kind of lifeform.

As for the bible, I don't know what to tell you. Even if taken literally, your wife apparently assumes to know the mind of god, which for a believer just might be a sin. The universe is much larger than our world is.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

DannyBoy

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  22:46:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit DannyBoy's Homepage Send DannyBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that universe is massive, but what there was images of "aliens" released to magazines. That's make sense. So what was the "thigs" flying on the sky so fast(flying saucers). So many people seen those things.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  10:16:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What images of aliens have been authenticated and released to magazines? Have any of them been authenticated? Are these the kinds of magazines that publish alien abduction stories and are generally credulous or even thrive on that kind of story? Flying saucers have been seen ever since movies made them popular. It wasn't the other way around. But you can find out how it was a misquote that became the origin of the myth of flying saucers.

This Is Why People Think UFOs Look Like 'Flying Saucers'

It was when the pilot, Kenneth Arnold, tried to describe the motion of the objects to a reporter for the United Press that the mix-up occurred. He said they flew “like a saucer if you skip it across the water.” The reporter took this to mean that the objects themselves were saucer-like, and news reports across the country repeated that Arnold had seen “flying saucers.”

Suddenly everyone was seeing what Arnold had seen, except that he hadn’t. Per TIME: “By July 4, newspapers were heralding literally hundreds of reports of ‘flying saucers’ in skies across the nation.”

Have reasonably credible people seen unusual things? Sure. Are the more unusual (or as yet unexplained) things worth investigating? Sure. That doesn't mean extraterrestrials are here showing up in blurry photos, stock shots and generally playing hide and seek with us for the last 70 years or so. If some alien species has the technology to overcome the physics involved to get here, wouldn't they have better things to do than to feed the UFO industry with an occasional photo and anal probes?

What We've Learned From 60 Years of U.S.-Funded UFO Probes
“Objective description of any phenomena should be backed up by compelling evidence, and despite many decades of reports of various UFO and abduction phenomena, we don’t have such evidence,” says Andrew Siemion, director of the Berkeley SETI research center. “Moreover, astronomers spend their lives looking at the sky with a wide variety of telescopes and techniques, and we have never snapped a picture of [an unexplained] spaceship.”

If you want to believe they are are out there, you won't be alone. But the evidence isn't good. To my way of thinking, believers that we are being visited are not unlike people who think Bigfoot or Nessi or even ghosts are real. The wish to believe becomes more powerful than what the scientific evidence will support.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  13:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know pub acquaintances who claim to be able to remote view aliens on other worlds, and that aliens have visited them in their home. They also believe in Bigfoot. Basically it comes down to arrogance. They refuse to entertain the idea that their fallible ape brains can be easily fooled, especially when they want to be.

I'll believe anything and change my mind with credible evidence. Human apes fooling themselves is poor evidence.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBoy

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  22:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit DannyBoy's Homepage Send DannyBoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you are right guys. For so many years USA gov kept Roswell in secret and told so many stories about how UFO crashed on that day and now they are saying that was Army Air Forces balloon. So now its clear for me there is no aliens. Thank you guys
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.