Book Reviews
 The new SGU book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Philo
Skeptic Friend

66 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  13:34:49  Show Profile Send Philo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe (or mostly Steven Novella, as one would predict), has recently released a book with the same name.

Has anyone of you read it? If so, what did you think of it? Reading reviews, it has received virtually only positive reviews from what I can see.

Steven Novella has described it as being a reference for various skeptical concepts for both novice and veteran skeptics, and sort of an update of Carl Sagan's classic The Demon-Haunted World.

[Moved to Book Reviews - Dave W.]

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2018 :  08:51:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read it but I'd probably enjoy the book. I do like his articles with Science-Based Medicine and his essays on skepticism.

I tend to lend out my copy of The Demon-Haunted World to family members and friends who I think could use a bit more skepticism. So far, they've returned it. Guess I'm lucky that way.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  08:59:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greg Laden likes the book, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  11:40:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Greg Laden likes the book, too.
I think Laden was a bit unfair about how Randi views AGW. Yes, Randi made a mistake but he took it back in spades. And quickly. I don't think you get to erase erase all of Randi's contributions to skepticism over an admitted mistake and accuse the guy of not being what he claims to be. A Skeptic.

I'll go with him on his accusation that Penn Jillette is not really a skeptic, and it's only gotten worse with Penn's promotion of a diet and the claims about it.

And yes, some high profile skeptics have stopped calling themselves "skeptics" over problems they perceive in whatever community there is, while still doing what they've always done as skeptics. Sharon Hill just did the same thing. Jeff Wagg did it a while ago. I'm cool with people doing that.

This gets into a whole other area and is a serious digression in this thread, but I got my hackles up when Laden, who I like, said Randi is not what he claims to be as if Laden has never made a mistake. The important thing is to admit when you are wrong, and Randi did that.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Philo
Skeptic Friend

66 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  04:54:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Philo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you about Randi. One mistake like that does not invalidate all the good work he has done.

As fot the label "skeptic", it is already internationally established, and has been so for at least a few decades. Fretting about it feels like a waste of time. Yes, it can be abused by denialists, but so what? Every term can be abused, and if you came up with an alternative term, that too could, and probably would, be abused. China and North Korea call themselves democratic republics even though they are neither. Does that mean that we should stop talking about democracies and republics when speaking about countries' forms of government?

Steven Novella a decade ago wrote about the label thing: https://www.skepticblog.org/2008/11/17/skeptic-the-name-thing-again/
Edited by - Philo on 10/28/2018 04:54:22
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  11:31:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... I'm still okay with self-identifying as a skeptic.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Philo
Skeptic Friend

66 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  11:28:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Philo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far at least, the book has received very good reviews at Amazon. Though I suspect the readership is somewhat self-selected. ;)

It is a very handy book to have around, with explanations of various skeptical concepts, ideas for how to talk to less skeptical family members and friends and so on.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  15:00:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I early ordered the book and I skimmed it. It's a nice summary what I've learned in my skepti-circles over the years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.