Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Puppy Dogs and Cotton Candy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carryon

11 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  19:52:43  Show Profile Send carryon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything besides these...

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/15/denver-flat-earth-conference/

Then one of the news stations interviews a 'skeptic' who is 'interested' in learning all about the flat earth.

It's time to:

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  09:01:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by carryon

Anything besides these...

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/15/denver-flat-earth-conference/

Then one of the news stations interviews a 'skeptic' who is 'interested' in learning all about the flat earth.

It's time to:

James W. Lee sat at a booth, promoting his book, “Flat Earth: Investigations into a Massive 500-Year Heliocentric Lie.”

After speaking animatedly about various flat Earth theories, he launched into an explanation about powerful people using lasers to start the California wildfires as part of a plan to lessen the population.

So the idea of a plan to lessen the population is an old new world order conspiracy theory that often includes 6-foot shapeshifting lizards or "Luciferians" running the world. Why am I not shocked that at least some flat-earthers are bringing in other conspiracy theories?

We seem to be in a post-truth period. Not exactly postmodernism of old, where all ideas were equal, but a period where facts are simply ignored. I think Trump is a symptom of it too.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

carryon

11 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  18:31:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send carryon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wonder why all the 'skeptics' they can find always sound completely gullible when they say, 'I'm interested in learning all about..." Why can't they find someone that can speak to wells and obelisks or precession? I'd like to see them explain that away...except it sounds like more dragons in garages.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  22:55:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Why am I not shocked that at least some flat-earthers are bringing in other conspiracy theories?
Because you're well-acquainted with the phenomenon of "crank magnetism."

It's been studied for decades.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  09:23:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Kil

Why am I not shocked that at least some flat-earthers are bringing in other conspiracy theories?
Because you're well-acquainted with the phenomenon of "crank magnetism."

It's been studied for decades.

It isn't my idea?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  09:27:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I really wonder why all the 'skeptics' they can find always sound completely gullible when they say, 'I'm interested in learning all about..."
A great selling point is to claim you were once a skeptic. I can't think of a single bit of nonsense where someone doesn't claim they were once skeptical of whatever the claim is, but not anymore. It's a sales pitch.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  09:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I really wonder why all the 'skeptics' they can find always sound completely gullible when they say, 'I'm interested in learning all about..."
A great selling point is to claim you were once a skeptic. I can't think of a single bit of nonsense where someone doesn't claim they were once skeptical of whatever the claim is, but not anymore. It's possible that they use the term in a more casual way than we do, but I doubt it. It's a sales pitch.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.