New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  11:10:40  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did everybody go?

I actually forgot about this place until I was looking through some old files that listed various accounts I'd once made.

Remember fun stuff like this:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2805

-Chaloobi

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2018 :  21:17:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, chaloobi!

Where did you go? Maybe that's where everybody else went, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  05:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno. Life got a little upside down crazy and then it was yesterday and I was like oh yeah, I remember. It's fantastic all those old posts are still here. I have no memory of most of it - like reading through an old journal.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  11:06:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if people would post here at the rate they did a few years ago. I'm afraid that the assent of social media is largely what happened. Facebook and so on. And I've been as guilty as anyone for gravitating over and not concentrating on SFN's main site. This one. For what it's worth, we do have a FB page. It's not as interactive as this site and not the best place to debate, but it is active.

Things that I share there I really should be sharing here as well. My bad.

I do love this site still. I'd love to see it become more active again.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2018 :  11:11:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

I dunno. Life got a little upside down crazy and then it was yesterday and I was like oh yeah, I remember. It's fantastic all those old posts are still here. I have no memory of most of it - like reading through an old journal.
I do that too and take some pride in the level of discussion that went on here. Sometimes I'll read through whole threads and be blown away by some incredibly good posts.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  05:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My employer spent a lot of money for me to waste everyone's time here back then. I had some fun. I think we fixed the world's problems. There's no misinformation in the world now at all.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  11:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

My employer spent a lot of money for me to waste everyone's time here back then. I had some fun. I think we fixed the world's problems. There's no misinformation in the world now at all.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Osmond

USA
1 Post

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  04:01:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Osmond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Yup, everything fine and dandy. Let's repeat this until it becomes true. haha
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  17:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

It would be nice if people would post here at the rate they did a few years ago. I'm afraid that the assent of social media is largely what happened. Facebook and so on. And I've been as guilty as anyone for gravitating over and not concentrating on SFN's main site. This one. For what it's worth, we do have a FB page. It's not as interactive as this site and not the best place to debate, but it is active.

Things that I share there I really should be sharing here as well. My bad.

I do love this site still. I'd love to see it become more active again.

Yeah. Tell me about it. Facebook basically wiped out another forum I used to hang on. So...all the posts I have there I have to move! There are a LOT of effing posts. Dealing with religion, creationism, etc.

I'm storing them on the facebook page that the forum members set up, but it's not a good format. Can't sort by categories, etc.

Anyone mind if I dump a LOT of posts in the relevant sections here? I'm asking before I actually do anything as it IS a LOT, and people may be mad at me for not posting for so long

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  20:15:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Anyone mind if I dump a LOT of posts in the relevant sections here? I'm asking before I actually do anything as it IS a LOT...
Much as I love you, Ig, this place probably shouldn't become Repository of Posts Ig Made Somewhere Else Originally Friends Network. Just in case Facebook implodes.

Have you considered moving your posts to a free Wordpress blog or something along those lines?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  15:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hi to the ol' timers coming back to visit (roost?). {waves paw}
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  12:35:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaloobi? doesn't ring a bell.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2019 :  18:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t know if you remember me but you guys beat me up pretty good about 12 years ago about my Christian beliefs. Well I have come to realize you were right and I no longer believe. Long and recent process which probably started here.

Is there anyone here that had a similar experience? I find myself isolated with Christian friends, not sure where to go from here. How do I go about telling my wife, kids and friends? All are good people and none would abandon me but it is still a big and hard step to take. Any input is appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  00:00:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Robb! I remember you very well. You have over 1,200 posts here, after all.

There's Atheist Parents, but it seems more geared towards atheists wanting to raise their kids as atheists, while it seems your problem is that your kids are already older and believe.

This guy was a evangelical minster with a wife and two Nick-Jr-aged kids before he became not only an atheist, but and anti-theist.

Common Sense Atheism also has some advice.

Jerry DeWitt's Wiki page says he lost his wife due to his deconversion, but they later reconciled.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  07:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Welcome back, Robb! I remember you very well. You have over 1,200 posts here, after all.

There's Atheist Parents, but it seems more geared towards atheists wanting to raise their kids as atheists, while it seems your problem is that your kids are already older and believe.

This guy was a evangelical minster with a wife and two Nick-Jr-aged kids before he became not only an atheist, but and anti-theist.

Common Sense Atheism also has some advice.

Jerry DeWitt's Wiki page says he lost his wife due to his deconversion, but they later reconciled.

Thanks Dave W. I will look at these. I think someone here long ago and maybe you said that the best way for someone to lose their faith is for them to study the bible. That is what did it for me. As I studied the bible and apologist and skeptics writings I had to keep changing my belief in god until it was no longer supportable by reason.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  09:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Robb!

Welcome back to SFN. It's really good too see you here after so long.

Having never faced your situation, I can only advise honesty. No doubt Dave's links are filled with valuable tips, but honesty will always be the bottom line.

Good luck with that! My guess is that you'll be alright, and so will your family. Even on these boards you were always reasoned within the scope of your beliefs. Fun to chat with.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.