Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  20:20:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Hacktacular! EMAILS Edition:
Mike Pence’s use of a private email account that actually was hacked reveals what was blindingly obvious all along: although it dominated campaign coverage in 2016, the story of Hillary Clinton’s EMAILS! was a trivial psuedoscandal involving behavior nobody would care about at all if it didn’t involve Hillary Clinton...

...So, to summarize, it was legal when Mike Pence used a private email account, and it was legal when Hillary Clinton did it...

...Mike Pence’s private email account was hacked. There is no evidence Clinton’s was...

...Republicans led by straight-shooting man of impeccable nonpartisan integritude James Comey engaged in investigations of Hillary Clinton and not Mike Pence, which proves that what Clinton did was much worse, and the fact that these investigations of Clinton turned up no evidence of a crime is central to this point. This is how your anti-Clinton propaganda sausage gets made, ladies and gentlemen.
Not exactly. There is a significant difference between the type of classified information handled by a governor and by the Secretary of State.

This Washington Post article summarizes it fairly well:
Why Mike Pence’s private email account is way different from Hillary Clinton’s

One major issue is this: how much damage to the US could be done by hacking the email servers belonging to the Governor of such an insignificant state as Indiana, compared to the US Secretary of State.

Another major issue is the handling of classified information. As anybody who works with such information in the Federal Government can attest, displaying a careless disregard for classification can get you fined, fired, or jailed. Consider General Petraeus, who resigned (aka "fired"), fined $10k, and sentenced to 2 years probation.

It looks to me like Secretary Clinton's email scandal lies somewhere between Vice President Pence's and General Petraeus' scandals.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  07:03:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Not exactly. There is a significant difference between the type of classified information handled by a governor and by the Secretary of State.

This Washington Post article summarizes it fairly well:
Why Mike Pence’s private email account is way different from Hillary Clinton’s

One major issue is this: how much damage to the US could be done by hacking the email servers belonging to the Governor of such an insignificant state as Indiana, compared to the US Secretary of State.

Another major issue is the handling of classified information. As anybody who works with such information in the Federal Government can attest, displaying a careless disregard for classification can get you fined, fired, or jailed. Consider General Petraeus, who resigned (aka "fired"), fined $10k, and sentenced to 2 years probation.

It looks to me like Secretary Clinton's email scandal lies somewhere between Vice President Pence's and General Petraeus' scandals.
I think you're missing the point, though. The media covered Clinton's emails more than they covered all policy positions from both candidates, combined. Had it not been Clinton, there's no way that would have happened.

By the way, that Amber Philips piece you linked to is precisely the article that Scott Lemieux is mocking in the link I provided, from which I drew the quotes that you replied to. Amber Philips seems to want to make a distinction between "legality" (Pence) and "straight-up legality" (Clinton) and other such nonsense in order to create big differences where little exists.

And no, nobody's been jailed for merely being careless with classified information a handful of times. Jail requires either a pattern of behavior (which should result in firing long before it becomes prosecutable) or intent (which isn't carelessness).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  21:25:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stuff:

The Republican health plan is a huge betrayal of Trump’s campaign promises:
...Trump ran and won promising to cover everyone, avoid Medicaid cuts, and boost funding for opioid abuse treatment...

...The centerpiece of the Trump-endorsed American Health Care Act, by contrast, is a $600 billion tax cut. Families with incomes below $208,500 per year will see their taxes fall by an average of $0 per year, receiving none of that money. But members of the top 0.1 percent of the income distribution — households with an annual income of more than $3.75 million — will see their taxes fall by an average of $165,090 per year...

...But Trump probably didn’t run around the country promising people lower deductibles, universal coverage, and no cuts to Medicaid for no reason at all. He said that stuff because it’s popular.

He broke with the Republican establishment on a key issue, soundly beat their candidates in the primary, and then won a general election boosted by considerable outsider credibility but an unusually low level of institutional party support. And now, in his first major legislative act, he’s betraying that promise.

Spicer quotes Trump: Jobs reports 'may have been phony in the past, but it's very real now':
President Trump has a new outlook on the legitimacy of the government’s monthly jobs reports, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said on Friday.

Asked about Trump's past dismissal of Bureau of Labor Statistics jobs numbers in the past in light of Friday's strong economic report, Spicer quoted the president:

“I talked to the president prior to this, and he said to quote him very clearly: 'They may have been phony in the past, but it’s very real now.'"

Spicer and reporters present laughed, though it wasn't immediately clear whether Trump was joking.

The Further Adventures Of Paul Ryan, International Man of Seriousity:
Shorter Paul Ryan: “I-I-I-I’m not concerned about the rich cracking the heads of the poor open and feasting on the goo inside. We said we were gonna have cannibalism. The other point is, this dramatically helps our plans to enslave the rest of the poor population.”

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  17:54:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stuff:

Kellyanne Conway:
..you can surveil someone through their phones, through their, ah certainly through their television sets, ah any number of different ways. Um microwaves that turn into cameras, etc. So we know that is just a fact of modern life.

Kellyanne Conway Explains Microwave Oven Surveillance Remarks:
...I’m not in the job of having evidence.

Trumpcare vs. Obamacare: Apocalypse Foretold:
The Congressional Budget Office report on Trumpcare is out, and it’s devastating: 14 million people losing insurance in the first year, 24 million over time, with premiums soaring for older, lower-income Americans — in many cases, the very people who went strongly for President Trump. The C.B.O. thinks it would reduce the deficit, but only marginally, around $30 billion a year in a $19 trillion economy.

...Trumpcare is a slapdash, incompetent piece of legislation; but even a much more competent set of people couldn’t have done better given the constraints of Republican Party ideology.

The "Blue State Secession" Thing Is Not Helping:
The impulse to bandy about the threat of secession is not rooted in concern for the vulnerable. It is a tantrum by rich people who are angry that their political power temporarily does not match their economic power. Think about how shallow a self-proclaimed liberal’s commitment to social justice has to be for them to say that the proper response to the ascent of a quasi-fascist amoral strongman is to cede him the majority of the nation’s territory and stop helping to support social programs for everyone not lucky enough to live in a coastal state. Ah, what brave commitment to justice for all! If 51% of your state voted for the bad man, we will condemn the other 49% to misery. That’s what good liberals are all about! We all remember how Abraham Lincoln became an American hero by telling the Confederacy: If you are uneducated enough to think that slavery is good, go be your own country. With time your slaves will certainly come to realize that blue states are preferable!

Trump's Dictator Chic:
Trump’s design aesthetic is fascinatingly out of line with America’s past and present. If you doubt it, note that the interiors of the apartments his company actually sells bear no resemblance to the one he lives in. But that doesn’t mean his taste comes from nowhere. At one level, it’s aspirational, meant to project the wealth so many citizens can only dream of. But it also has important parallels—not with Italian Renaissance or French baroque, where its flourishes come from, but with something more recent. The best aesthetic descriptor of Trump’s look, I’d argue, is dictator style.

TrumpCare is a Human Rights Atrocity:
In addition to the obvious, every reporter who determined that Hillary Clinton’s email server management was the issue voters most needed to know about in 2016 should be deeply ashamed of themselves right now.

The GOP health plan is an act of class warfare by the rich against the poor:
The Congressional Budget Office’s assessment of Republicans’ plan to replace Obamacare is a description of one of the largest, most significant income redistribution programs the US government has ever considered — from the poor to the wealthy rather than the other way around.

The plan, the CBO concludes, would take more than $1 trillion away from programs targeting poor and middle-class families, to fund an $883 billion tax cut targeted at the wealthy. It is upward income redistribution of a truly massive scale.

Law & Order: Congressional Republicans Unit:
DETECTIVE FLETCHER: Damn. The victim has multiple stab wounds to the chest and abdomen, and the murder weapon was left next to her body. We’ve gotta catch this lunatic.

DETECTIVE JASON CHAFFETZ [shrugging]: I don’t see a crime here.

DET. FLETCHER: Really? It seems like a murder. A stabbing murder.

DET. PAUL RYAN: I don’t see anything either. Anyone wanna grab a taquito?

DET. FLETCHER: This woman was stabbed in the chest 17 times!

DET. TREY GOWDY: Maybe she was doing pushups and didn’t realize a knife was under her.

Lebenswomb:
Republicans are becoming more and more comfortable with admitting the GOP is the party of white supremacy. However, King’s little paean makes me wonder when they’ll start saying another quiet part out loud: The ability to wring as many babies as possible out of the bodies of white women and girls is an essential part of their plan to maintain and increase racial inequality.

Sure, it all stems from the hatred of, and desire to subjugate, women. But the concept of patriotic parturition would cut the need for po-facery about Life and Babies and the Ladies who are too stupid to know that they really do want to have a baby but at the same time can be trusted to care for an infant.

Patriotic parturition would also eliminate the hassle of arguing about birth control and skip straight to asserting that a white woman who fails to have babies is un-American. In fact, once they openly admit that white women are needed outbreed inner-city thugs, terrorists of color and cantaloupe-calved drug mules, a woman who fails to get pregnant is endangering the country. (And God help her if she has a baby with one of Them.)

As an added bonus, it will allow the bellicose chickenshits who infest the right wing to believe they’re fighting the war on terrorism every time they get a boner.

"It says our health insurance is being replaced
by a series of tweets calling us losers.”

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dredge

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  19:05:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dredge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Dave W.,

Evidently, the link between feminism and the occult has escaped your attention.  Pick a feminist bookshop - any feminist bookshop - walk in and notice how the vast majority of the literature is devoted to goddess worship, witchcraft and other forms of the occult.  Feminism, you see, is a marriage of Marxism and the occult.  

How do you slowly but surely destroy a civilisation (genocide) by reducing its birth-rate?  You inject it with the poison of feminism - tell the dopey masses that it all about women's empowerment, equality and liberation ... you'll be surprised how many myopic fools will fall for this nonsense).

-----------------------

Evidence for racial inequality is there in spades if you want to pull your head out of the sand and have a look around.

For starters, it is a proven scientific fact that the DNA of the races differs - please note that DNA determines intelligence and other characteristics of brain function.  So the potential for inferior DNA is real, not imagined.

Then there are other parameters such as poverty, unemployment, crime, imprisonment, domestic violence, gang violence (the principal cause of death in young black males in the USA is homoscide - and most of these are black-black), substance abuse, disease.  In the USA (as in any white society where negroes are found) negroes top the class in all these areas of dysfunction.  
When it comes to education, negroes are, typically, the dunces at the bottom of the class.

What did a negro ever discover or invent?  Metallurgy?  The light bulb?  The Large Hadron Collider?  No, albeit the boomerang is  pretty neat.

If Haiti were full of Jews instead of troglodyte negroes, do you think it would be the third-world dump that it is?  Of course not!  It would be wealthy and healthy and a desirable destination that tourist would flock to.

The nation of Zimbabwe was known as the "bread basket of Africa", as its farms produced so much food.   But that was when whites were in charge.  Since the blacks took over, Zimbabwe has fallen into ruin and become a basket case (a phenomenon that has been repeated over and over in negro nations since de-colonization).   Apparently this stark difference between white rule and black rule is evidence of racial equality!

I could provide many other examples, but suffice it to say that, all in all, the thinking man should be exceedingly skeptical your neo-Marxist belief in racial equality, since there is very little evidence to support it and overwhelming amounts of evidence - both scientific and anecdotal - that contradicts it.   But why let the facts get in the way of childish utopian fantasy?

---------------------

Your comparing the situation for negroes in the USA to the situation for negroes in black Africa is absurd!  The USA offers its black citizens opportunities that blacks in Africa can only dream of.  Furthermore, blacks in the USA potentially have access to every form of opportunity that whites have - not to mention the additional "leg up" offered by affirmative action policies.  So if American blacks find themselves "disadvantaged", they only have themselves to blame.  
How many American blacks would swap their ghetto in the USA for a ghetto in Africa, so you think?   Zero, I would imagine!
--------------------

How about that episode of "Dr. Phil" which featured a young black women who was racist against her own race?  It was hilarious.  She said she married a white man because all the black men she knew were criminals. And she also said she doesn't allow her own children to have black friends because she knows what black kids get up to.  Now she's the sort of intelligent, decent negro I can respect (they're not all hopeless).

-----------------------
Regarding morality, your belief system (evolution) cannot offer any reason why your personal standards of morality are superior to any else's standards of morality.  Take slavery, for example, your god of evolution can neither condemn it nor support it.  Your belief system says the morality of Mother Tersea is superoir to the morality of Adolf Hitler.  In other words, your pretensions to moral superiority are baseless and cannot be defended.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  20:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dredge

Evidently, the link between feminism and the occult has escaped your attention.  Pick a feminist bookshop - any feminist bookshop - walk in and notice how the vast majority of the literature is devoted to goddess worship, witchcraft and other forms of the occult.  Feminism, you see, is a marriage of Marxism and the occult.
I'll ask you again, Mr. Marston: aren't you a little old to believe in witches? Of course, you believe in a talking snake and magic men, so why not witches? I bet witches scare you, too.

How do you slowly but surely destroy a civilisation (genocide) by reducing its birth-rate?  You inject it with the poison of feminism - tell the dopey masses that it all about women's empowerment, equality and liberation ... you'll be surprised how many myopic fools will fall for this nonsense).
Mr. Marston, you've presented not one iota of evidence so far!

Evidence for racial inequality is there in spades if you want to pull your head out of the sand and have a look around.
I won't be doing your homework for you, Mr. Marston.

For starters, it is a proven scientific fact that the DNA of the races differs - please note that DNA determines intelligence and other characteristics of brain function.  So the potential for inferior DNA is real, not imagined.
I know the DNA differs, but you obviously don't understand how or why. Do you have any evidence that DNA "determines intelligence"?

Then there are other parameters such as poverty, unemployment, crime, imprisonment, domestic violence, gang violence (the principal cause of death in young black males in the USA is homoscide - and most of these are black-black), substance abuse, disease.  In the USA (as in any white society where negroes are found) negroes top the class in all these areas of dysfunction.  
When it comes to education, negroes are, typically, the dunces at the bottom of the class.
You are confusing cause and effect, Mr. Marston.

What did a negro ever discover or invent?  Metallurgy?  The light bulb?  The Large Hadron Collider?  No, albeit the boomerang is  pretty neat.
Your ignorance is showing, Mr. Marston.

If Haiti were full of Jews instead of troglodyte negroes, do you think it would be the third-world dump that it is?  Of course not!  It would be wealthy and healthy and a desirable destination that tourist would flock to.
Yep, racist about Jews, too. You are just like Hitler, Mr. Marston. Given command of troops, I'm sure you'd be a real horror show.

By the way, tourists did flock to Haiti just a few decades ago, before U.S. foreign policy screwed the country up again.

The nation of Zimbabwe was known as the "bread basket of Africa", as its farms produced so much food.   But that was when whites were in charge.  Since the blacks took over...
Write two pages on what the country was like before the whites took over, with references, and then get back to me, Mr. Marston.

I could provide many other examples...
You haven't provided a single example in which the source of the differences could only be race, Mr. Marston. And your dreams about Haiti don't even count as an example.

...overwhelming amounts of evidence - both scientific and anecdotal - that contradicts it.
Then why can't you come up with anything that passes the simplest sniff test? If the above "examples" are your A-game, Mr. Marston, then you are sadly outclassed.

But why let the facts get in the way of childish utopian fantasy?
Why let facts get in the way of a childish racist fantasy?

Your comparing the situation for negroes in the USA to the situation for negroes in black Africa is absurd!  The USA offers its black citizens opportunities that blacks in Africa can only dream of.  Furthermore, blacks in the USA potentially have access to every form of opportunity that whites have - not to mention the additional "leg up" offered by affirmative action policies.  So if American blacks find themselves "disadvantaged", they only have themselves to blame.
Ah, yes. Now we get the predicatble "black people are lazy" racism. Can't you be more original, Mr. Marston?

How many American blacks would swap their ghetto in the USA for a ghetto in Africa, so you think?   Zero, I would imagine!
And now we have supposition instead of data. Good work, Mr. Marston. I'm filling up lots of squares on my Nazi Bingo card.

How about that episode of "Dr. Phil"...
Bwaaahahahaha! Mr. Marston, you really think a daytime TV talk show is some sort of evidence for your claims? What's next, cartoons?

Regarding morality, your belief system (evolution)...
Mr. Marston, evolution is a "belief system" as much as I'm the king of Sweden.

...cannot offer any reason why your personal standards of morality are superior to any else's standards of morality.
I never said evolution could do any such thing, Mr. Marston. You are arguing against a straw man of your own creation.

Take slavery, for example, your god of evolution can neither condemn it nor support it.
Indeed. Your God supports slavery.

Your belief system says the morality of Mother Tersea is superoir to the morality of Adolf Hitler.
Why do you think so? She was a horrible person. Maybe she killed fewer people than Hitler, I don't know.

In other words, your pretensions to moral superiority are baseless and cannot be defended.
Mr. Marston, your fantasies about my morality are what is baseless, here.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  12:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blame the Media for Trumpcare:
This week, the Congressional Budget Office weighed in on the American Health Care Act, the House GOP’s proposed replacement for Obamacare. What the CBO described is quite simply a humanitarian catastrophe: 24 million people without health insurance, all to pay for massive, mostly upper-class tax cuts. If it or anything like it is enacted, it would be one of the worst statutes ever passed by the United States Congress. It’s tempting to blame the voters who put Republicans in power for this perilous situation. But their confusion about health care stems from many sources, including President Donald Trump, but also his fellow Republicans, Democrats, and the mainstream media.

You certainly can’t call the AHCA a pander to the Republican base. As Brian Beutler observes, the older white rural voters who were crucial to Trump’s Electoral College majority will be absolutely brutalized if the AHCA passes. The savage proposed cuts to Medicaid would affect a lot of Trump voters in purple states that accepted an expansion of Medicaid under Obamacare. The AHCA’s less generous and less egalitarian subsidies would also essentially lock out non-affluent voters who are close to retirement, but too young to qualify for Medicare, from the individual insurance market. If House Speaker Paul Ryan gets his way, a lot of Trump voters who trusted Republicans to protect or improve their health care will suffer physical and/or financial ruin and in some cases avoidable death.

Given that marginal Trump voters in key states will be hit hard unless the AHCA can be stopped, these voters have been the subject of scorn. And, yes, voters have agency and have to take responsibility for their choices. But before we rush to criticize ordinary voters who were conned, we should consider the massive failure of American elites to inform them during the 2016 campaign.

This should start at the top. Trump’s approach to health care policy during the campaign was one he has applied to all fields: that is, to lie constantly. Trump explicitly promised that there would be “no cuts” to Medicaid, which TrumpCare would in fact cut big league. He also promised “insurance for everybody” and repeatedly asserted that this insurance would be better than Obamacare. Needless to say, under TrumpCare many fewer people would have insurance and the quality of insurance people could afford would more likely be worse than better.

The fact that a lot of Trump voters will suffer if the AHCA passes is not an occasion for schadenfreude. It’s horrifying. And before you rush to blame them, blame the elite public officials, candidates, and institutions that completely failed to present them with an informed choice during the 2016 campaign.

Well, that happened:
The worst part is that the “leak” so obviously came from a Trump surrogate or Trump himself. It’s the perfect little nugget of good news for him–“See, he’s RICH! See, he pays taxes–A LOT OF THEM!” And the precious admonition that they were illegally obtained and the sniffing about the low rate he payed was–honestly–a pretty good touch! And, no, it doesn’t portend more “leaks.” So put that out of your head now.

How will this play in Peoria? It will play like this: He’s a super-rich guy who payed a shitload of money in taxes. Fantastic.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  08:38:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sources: Mattis, Ricardel clashed over Pentagon appointees:
Two months into the Trump administration, the top jobs at the U.S. Department of Defense remain largely empty.

But supporters of Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis are quietly expressing hope that a top Trump aide whom they see as a roadblock for nominees will soon move on to a new role, which could speed up the nominee process nearly two months after Mattis took office...

...Since President Donald Trump took office, there have been reports that Mattis has clashed with the White House team over appointees. Those who back Mattis, the only Senate-confirmed appointee at DoD, have put the blame squarely on the White House, saying the Trump team is blocking qualified nominees out of a political ideological test.

Those inside the White House, meanwhile, point out that the president has the right to pick people who share his worldview in top spots of his administration — and see no reason why they should give jobs to individuals who slammed the president over the course of the long 2016 election.

Trump federal budget 2018: Massive cuts to the arts, science and the poor - Trump and the Republicans apparently think that America was Great when we were poisoned, diseased, poor, uncultured and ignorant. Oh, no, not the rich people. They can be healthy, wealthy and wise. It's us peons who don't deserve that stuff. Roll the clock back a couple hundred years, Donnie!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Christian Hedonist
Skeptic Friend

99 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  13:37:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Christian Hedonist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, like there's just one person orchestrating it all. Sheesh. And it's not just Christianity.
Then who? What group of people/organization etc. has set up this system to keep religious people pliable?

But perhaps you'll enlighten me. I have yet to find any Bible verses, stories or parables about standing up for oneself against one's oppressor ("turn the other cheek" teaches the opposite). I have yet to find anything in the Bible about ensuring secular justice for all people (the rules condoning slavery, or the idea of a "chosen people," teach the opposite).

As far as standing up for yourself the Bible does teach that we are to stand up for others and put others needs before ours. Here are some verses for standing up for yourself:

Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, Luke 17:3

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. – Ephesians 6:10-20.

Here are verses about standing up for others which the Bible makes clear this trumps our needs:

Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him. – Proverbs 14:31

Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy - Proverbs 31:8-9

Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. – Isaiah 1:17

Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. – Psalm 82:3

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. – James 1:27

And the word of the LORD came to Zechariah, saying, “Thus says the LORD of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart – Zechariah 7:8-9

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? – Micah 6:8

The main reason Jesus came was to take the punishment for our sins. When we are saved we are judged rightly because we did not commit any sin because Jesus did those sins for us on the cross. Then we are commanded to do good works, not to be saved, but out of love for what Jesus did for us.

My question to you is why are your morals any better than another’s? If there is no god them your morals come from your mind and are not universal. So how can you say the bible teaches morals that are wrong? You can only say that you think they are wrong because the conflict with your morals.

Instead, the Bible seems to teach that when life hands you lemons, you should suck it up and deal because there'll be a big reward after you die. That keeps Christians subdued and pliable during (for example) the last forty years while the Republicans have been trying to undo the New Deal. Oligarchs would much rather you think your lot in life is pre-ordained and/or a test of your faith than have you go out and do something to make life more fair. 'Cause nine times out of ten the problem comes down to money, and people who learn that the 1% could feed the 99% while still living in luxury get angry. Angry people generally aren't content to continue eating the shit sandwich that the rich having been serving.

Every Christian is called to do good works out of love for God. There are Christians that go out and do social justice every day, RLC is an organization that only cares about social justice. Jesus calls us to help people individually. He never said give to the Roman government so they can institute programs to help the poor or needy. I am a big advocate of evangelizing the rich, because of they become Christians then they have the potential to help many people. Christians have simply not obeyed this command as they should.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  17:46:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Travel Ban 2.0 has been blocked.

Survey reveals the one thing Trump’s supporters can’t forgive him for:
In what is easily the most important survey finding of the early days of the Trump administration, the left-leaning Public Policy Polling finds that Americans are generally united in their disdain for ketchup on steak. Over half (56 percent) say they disapprove of the practice. Only 27 percent are okay with it. And another 17 percent don't seem to care either way.

Even more surprising, disapproval for putting ketchup on steak cuts across lines of race, gender, age and politics -- with even a slim majority of ardent Trump fans declining to back their champion on this one.

Republicans are threatening to expose Trump as the emperor with no clothes:
It's almost as though Republicans are tired of having President Trump's evidence-free allegations laid at their feet. Almost.

Late Monday, a spokesman for House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) threatened to subpoena the Trump administration to produce evidence of Trump's claim that President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower during the campaign. The White House has declined to produce this evidence publicly, offering various excuses, including the Constitution's separation of powers and — most recently on Monday — arguing that Trump wasn't speaking literally when he made the claim.

The Justice Department missed Nunes's deadline to provide evidence Monday, which drew Nunes's subpoena threat.
And Trump has been saying that he's going to produce the evidence "in the next two weeks." It's ridiculous. Why not just offer it now? No, he's playing at being a reality TV host instead of President, hyping up the disappointing reveal (if there will be one).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  20:27:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Christian Hedonist

Yeah, like there's just one person orchestrating it all. Sheesh. And it's not just Christianity.
Then who? What group of people/organization etc. has set up this system to keep religious people pliable?
Did you not read what I wrote?

As far as standing up for yourself the Bible does teach that we are to stand up for others and put others needs before ours. Here are some verses for standing up for yourself:

Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, Luke 17:3
That's standing up for yourself?

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1
That's better, but the author was talking about circumcision specifically and Mosaic Law generally, not greedy capitalists with Congress' ears.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. – Ephesians 6:10-20.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about standing up to a fictional devil, either.

Here are verses about standing up for others which the Bible makes clear this trumps our needs:

Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him. – Proverbs 14:31
No, that's an admonition to the powerful. The very next verse:
The wicked is overthrown through his evildoing...
Note that it's not "the wicked is overthrown through the will of those he oppressed. And Proverbs 14:35 basically says, "don't piss off the king," not "wrathful kings should be met with public opposition and grassroots activism."

Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy - Proverbs 31:8-9
Come on, those were for a king, not the everyman.

Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. – Isaiah 1:17
Verses 19 and 20:
If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land; but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be eaten by the sword; for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.
So even God's entreaty to "correct oppression" is oppressive and demanding of submission.

Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. – Psalm 82:3
That's god talking to other gods.

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. – James 1:27
I'm not talking about being nice to people less privileged than you. Nor am I talking about keeping oneself "unstained from the world."

And the word of the LORD came to Zechariah, saying, “Thus says the LORD of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart – Zechariah 7:8-9
And when his audience didn't listen, God destroyed their country. 'Cause that's leading by example.

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? – Micah 6:8
Again, "doing justice" is not what I'm talking about.

The main reason Jesus came was to take the punishment for our sins. When we are saved we are judged rightly because we did not commit any sin because Jesus did those sins for us on the cross. Then we are commanded to do good works, not to be saved, but out of love for what Jesus did for us.
Actually, James 1:22-25 says that "doers of the Word" are those who are blessed. Those who merely hear the Word will forget.

My question to you is why are your morals any better than another’s? If there is no god them your morals come from your mind and are not universal. So how can you say the bible teaches morals that are wrong? You can only say that you think they are wrong because the conflict with your morals.
A moral system that is flexible, involving learning and debate among those it covers is necessarily better than one that is both fixed and finite, since the latter cannot possibly encode every situation.

My morals come from generations of ethical philosophers observing and analyzing the effects of moral judgments on actual people, with clear goals in mind. If my actions push me away from those social goals, then clearly I'd be going in the wrong direction and must change my behavior (or my goals). Nobody can tell a person what their goals must be (even God said that there are reprobates). But whether their actions lead towards or away from those goals is (generally) scientifically measurable and thus amenable to objective debate, in the proper context.

But nobody knows what God's goals are. The Bible cannot teach morality without including an appreciation for the desired result of acting morally. And God doesn't do that. He wants us all to be saved, but he doesn't say what for. Acting "morally" without understanding why is how sociopaths hide among "normal" people - if they acted morally only accidentally (and thus infrequently), they'd be easy to spot.

Every Christian is called to do good works out of love for God. There are Christians that go out and do social justice every day, RLC is an organization that only cares about social justice. Jesus calls us to help people individually. He never said give to the Roman government so they can institute programs to help the poor or needy.
Why not? Didn't Jesus understand that with a central government overseeing charity operations funded by taxes, they could ensure complete coverage without duplication of effort, thus rendering aid more cheaply and effectively - on a denarius-by-denarius basis - than sporadic individual or private group donations ever could (even when taking fraud into account), with the added bonus of increased employment, thereby reducing the number of poor that need aid in the first place? Perhaps if Mary had been an economist and Joseph a sociologist...

RLC? Rescuing Leftover Cuisine?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  20:04:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stuff:

Trump can't even be bothered to spell check stuff in another language

White House Accidentally Emails Press Actual Fake News Because, Yup, They Just Read the Headline to a Satire Piece and Hit Send:
The article entitled "Trump's budget makes perfect sense and will fix America, and I will tell you why" comes from a columnist Alexandra Petri, who writes humor columns for the Post. But, come on, that headline seems like it was written by our president, so you can see why he wanted everyone to see it and, presumably, print it out and hang it on their fridge.

White House-GCHQ row reveals a leader willing to alienate allies to save face:
The extraordinary public rebuke by the United States’ closest surveillance partner has revealed an emerging characteristic of Donald Trump’s White House: a willingness to antagonize even its allies instead of admitting error.

GCHQ, the UK surveillance mammoth intimately linked to the National Security Agency (NSA), has taken public exception to an allegation repeated from the White House podium that, if true, would probably shatter the Five Eyes intelligence alliance so dear to both Washington and London.

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, credulously repeated on Thursday an account by a Fox News pundit, Andrew Napolitano, that GCHQ laundered surveillance on Trump at the behest of Barack Obama. Napolitano, who is in no position to actually know, made the allegation apparently to explain away the emerging consensus, even from senior Republicans on the intelligence committees, that there is no basis to Trump’s claim that Obama ordered that surveillance.

Dr. Sebastian Gorka May Be a Far-Right Nativist, But for Sure He’s a Terrible Scholar:
Sebastian Gorka, President Donald Trump’s deputy advisor on national security affairs, has emerged as an extremely “visible defender of the administration” on television and radio, especially on counterterrorism policy. Apart from his full-throated defense of policies such as the immigration and travel ban, Gorka likes to boast of his credentials and denigrate his predecessors, as when he told Fox News that “I think the message is deadly clear to our enemies and our adversaries. We don’t have a national security team made out of 28-year-old grad school students who have degrees in fictional writing.” Gorka maintains that the West is locked in an existential ideological struggle with Islam — a view that plays well in the Trump administration.

But Gorka’s own credentials have already come under scrutiny. Before his appointment, he was not a well-known figure among terrorism experts. A report in Politico noted that “several experts … puzzled over the gap between the numerous military academic credentials listed by Gorka — a political science Ph.D. who unfailingly uses the title ‘Dr.’ — and their unfamiliarity with his work and views.” This dovetails with a number of reports that raise doubts about his knowledge of Islam and terrorism, as well as about his ties to Hungarian far-right groups — including one, Vitezi Rend, whose members “‘are presumed to be inadmissible’ to the country under the Immigration and Nationality Act” — and his claim to have access to confidential information within the White House, despite no confirmation that he has security clearance. The biggest concern: Despite casting himself as an expert on radical jihadi ideology, Gorka does not speak Arabic and has spent no time in the Middle East.

It is precisely attention to the significance of inconvenient facts that distinguishes good scholars and true experts from pretenders. Pretenders present themselves as scholars and experts. They adopt the language, get the credentials, and perform as they — or, at least, their audience — imagine scholars and experts sound. Rather than speak truth to power, they peddle what their ideological compatriots want to hear, wrapped up in the trappings of intellectual authority.

The more that political movements, politicians, and leaders move into a universe of alternative facts, the more they render themselves vulnerable to these intellectual grifters. And the more these fake experts influence actual policy, the more damage that they can do. I do not believe that a doctorate, let alone an academic background, is a prerequisite for good policymaking. But the president of the United States is best served by advisors who place facts before ideology, who care about the substance more than the credential, and who would never make sweeping judgments about millions of people grounded on essentially no evidence at all. This is particularly the case for a new president who has repeatedly demonstrated that when ideology — or even vanity — runs into inconvenient facts, he expects the facts to bend. In this sense, Gorka seems a perfect fit for the worst impulses of this administration.

Trump continues to take salary despite promise, says he’ll donate money later:
During the presidential campaign, then-candidate Trump said he would turn down any salary as President. Then, in his first big interview as President-elect in November, he again insisted, “No, I’m not gonna take the salary. I’m not taking it.” Instead of accepting the $400,000 presidents get paid each year, Trump would take just $1 a year.

Well, it’s been almost two months and President Trump has received at least one paycheck#8202;—#8202;and he kept it.

Trump thus has a reputation of pledging lots of money to charities, but actually giving very little. Whether his promises regarding his presidential salary and the foreign dignitary profits from his hotels will turn out any different remains to be seen.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2017 :  18:33:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Authors Responds to Trump’s Lies About Immigration Study:
During his address to Congress, Donald Trump cited a study by the National Academy of Sciences that allegedly showed that illegal immigration cost us billions of dollars a year. Francine Blau, lead author of that study, and Gretchen Donehower, a consultant on the study, says he lied about its conclusions.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  11:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Comey Comedy Classic.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  19:32:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trump's budget kills public television; Pence's Indiana budget saved it:
President Donald Trump's proposed 2018 budget eliminates funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which helps fund nearly 1,500 locally owned public radio and television stations.
The administration defended the move Thursday, calling funding for the corporation a "hard sell."

But in 2014, Vice President Mike Pence, then Indiana's governor also known for frugal budgets, made a passionate defense for the role of public television.

"I believe the state has the primary responsibility for educating our children and I will say from my heart through all of my life, one thing has been clear: Public television plays a vital role in educating all of the public, but most especially, our children," he said during an acceptance speech at that year's Public Media Summit.

But that's not how Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney sees it.

"It's a simple message by the way: I put myself in the shoes of that steelworker in Ohio, the coal-mining family in West Virginia, the mother of two in Detroit, and I'm saying, 'OK, I have to go ask these folks for money, and I have to tell them where I'm going to spend it,' " he said during Thursday's White House press briefing.

"Can I really go to those folks, look them in the eye and say, 'Look, I want to take money from you, and I want to give it to the Corporation (for) Public Broadcasting.' That is a really hard sell, and in fact, it's something we don't think we can defend anymore."
Yeah, you go to that Detroit mother of two and tell her that you're going to eliminate funding for Oscar and Dora and Blue and the rest of her kids' favorites, and spend the money on making war instead. You tell her that. You tell her that she's going to have to pay for Hulu to get her daily dose of Brit-coms while you're at it.

Asshat thinks that coal miners and steelworkers don't have kids that watch Sesame Street?! Or might be inspired by nature or science programming?!

Meanwhile, all those same people who Mulvaney doesn't think want to pay for public broadcasting apparently love paying for Trump to go golfing. Ten times in eight weeks?!? While stripping funding for basic research? Fuck him. Fuck him right in the ear.

Elsewhere, lefty economics work, the crap Republicans have foisted on the country for the last 30-plus years have not. Arthur Laffer should be ashamed of himself.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.77 seconds.