Pitiful , but instructive, UFO claim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2001 :  15:21:59  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
http://homepage.hitter.net/tmc/Didknow.html is a page from a website dealing with the Hound Dog (AGM-28) and Quail (ADM-20) missiles used from B-52s in the 1960s. Scroll about halfway down to an item entitled "A [sic]e-mail Clip Sent to a UFO Magazine" The Hound Dog webmaster is justifiably skeptical of this:

quote:
A email clip sent to a UFO Magazine)
Sometime in 1968 the United States OF
America launched a nuclear missile at a
UFO somewhere over Canada

"Around 1968 a B52 was launched from the alert facility at KI Sawyer with the normal payload. I was ground crew. When it returned 1 Hound Dog was missing. I overheard the aircrew talking they had fired the missle at a UFO and it had been deflected and
had'nt detonated. This happened in Canadian Air Space. The crew had to have permission of the president to fire. The entire crew accidently died in seperate unrelated accidents within 6 months. Draw your own conclusions."

From the Editor
(Of the UFO Magazine)

"A Hound Dog missile is an old Nuclear armed cruse missile. The president would not have to have been in the loop if it wasn't nuclear. While the individual making the above report believes the entire crew died from unrelated accidents a even more
frightening possibility is that they died from Gamma Flash from a nuclear detonation and that the deaths were cover stories. This person does not want his name revealed until after his death.. I have talked to this person and he seems credible."

Note: Isn't it amazing, after all my years in GAM I didn't know that the Hound Dog was a Air to Air Missile

"He/she seems credible" is a standard mantra in ufool circles, as though this is the only possible or at least the only reliable test of truth. Logically, this is an appeal to authority, and it recurs so often in paranormal apologetics that I have to wonder if these ideas appeal primarily to those of authoritarian inclination. "Knowing the truth and telling the truth are two different things."

In fact, it would be a little difficult to hide a nuclear explosion over Canada and the Hound Dog's guidance system could not track a moving target. If ufools have evidence to the contrary, we need to see it. They might counter "well, there could be a guidance modification you don't know about" but, as usual, what we DON'T know isn't evidence. Most importantly, we have no evidence other than a vague letter ("around 1968")from an anonymous person. In fact, there were specialized nuclear armed interceptors around at the time (F-101 and F-106) so the claim of a B-52 being sent out on what was basically an air defense mission is doubly ludicrous.
The writer invites us to draw our own conclusions. Mine: more evidence that you can build a huge and profitable industry on the crudest kind of fraud.

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2001 :  15:31:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
Let me get this straight...

In 1968 (maybe), the USAF fired a nuclear missile in Canadian air space...it didn't detonate (so how did the crew die of "Gamma Flash"?) but was deflected...the air crew didn't come forward, but this guy on the ground crew has......and he seems credible?

Sounds to me like someone has pretty damn low standards of credulity.

How did a nuke get launched in Canada and the Russkies and Chinese missed it?

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2001 :  16:39:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Quote:

----------
Well, as it said, it didn't detonate. So, all we know is that a nuclear detonation didn't occur over Canada in 1968. That's useful, isn't it?!

Up, up and away!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rift
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2001 :  21:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rift a Private Message
I love how people think we should believe anonymous letters written by anonymous people with little or no facts.

We just have to take it on 'faith' that the entire crew died and this guy seems crediable and doesn't want his named revealed because he doesn't want to die in an 'accident' either. Draw your own conclusions...

Yes I will. I need more evidence, thank you very much. A normal payload on a B52 would NOT include a GAM and they couldn't have died of gamma flash if it hadn't detonated.

quote:

They were IN on it of course :P

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2001 :  22:40:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
Strange. Just last year I was doing some fishing up north of Cochrane, when I latched onto something HUGE. "Aha", says I to myself, says I, "a monster pike to brag about!" Well dang it all if I didn't haul in this old hound dog missile. Written on the side on an odd, rather cuneiform script were the words 'Haha Terran scum! You couldn't hit the broadside of a three horned squorzenborx.'

I guess that solves our little mystery.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.