Apathy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  01:53:28  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
Last Friday, I was a guest on a local radio call-in show. The subject was conspiracy theories, sort of an anti-ArtBell effort. The response was very positive and it appears that I will be a regular from now on.

In the process of adopting this higher profile, I've run across more and more people who question the necessity for this kind of interest. This has happened before, but it was fairly rare since most of my interaction as a skeptic has been with either skeptics or believers and not with the general public.

Now, I hear things like "why worry about it" or "I can't stand people who are so negative" or even "why don't you just let these people believe what they want to". I've even heard people question whether we should teach critical thinking in schools. The comment here is something like "can't people be free to choose how they will think?" The latter comment, of course, is yet another version of what I have come to call the "Amendment X" ploy, the inference that advocating and explaining a particular position is somehow limiting someone else's freedom or compromising their rights.* In this case, I responded that,"learning about critical thinking does not limit anyone's freedom, they are still free to be superstitious or irrational if they so choose. It actually enhances their freedom since now they have more options." It's pretty hard for me to hold my temper with those who demand that I justify my lack of apathy to them, but I usually manage to do it.

In the broad sense, I think I do this because people who cared about public issues and who took some kind of activist position were the ones who have changed the world for the better in the last few hundred years.

*"Amendment X" is the mythical amendment to the US Constitution that grants immunity to criticism, along with the right to an audience ("the right to be heard") and the right to be taken seriously.

Authority has every reason to fear the skeptic, for authority can rarely survive in the face of doubt.
-Robert Lindner

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  10:13:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Last Friday, I was a guest on a local radio call-in show. The subject was conspiracy theories, sort of an anti-ArtBell effort. The response was very positive and it appears that I will be a regular from now on.

I responded that,"learning about critical thinking does not limit anyone's freedom, they are still free to be superstitious or irrational if they so choose. It actually enhances their freedom since now they have more options." It's pretty hard for me to hold my temper with those who demand that I justify my lack of apathy to them, but I usually manage to do it.

Congratulations on your new found area of fame.
Don't let them make you loose your cool. Continue to point out that it's better to have a choice. If you can do that without getting upset you come off as more informed and intelligent. Of course you know that, this is just some words of encouragement.
Good luck D.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease
to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  20:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
Piltdown,

First, congratulations on your potentially new gig. Second, this radio station wouldn't be webcast would it?

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  11:34:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
quote:
In the broad sense, I think I do this because people who cared about public issues and who took some kind of activist position were the ones who have changed the world for the better in the last few hundred years. [Piltdown]

The standard rule of sales may apply here, Piltdown. "90% of sales are generated by 10% of the sales force"

Consider yourself among the 10% pushing against the inertia of the other 90%.

The epitath of American culture may be written by a future archeologist who, digging through a 21st century house foundation, can correlate the location of the TV remote in juxtaposition to the LA-Z-BOY recliner.

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  11:35:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
I'd reply to this topic ("Apathy"), but I just don't care...
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  12:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

I'd reply to this topic ("Apathy"), but I just don't care...

From George Carlin:

Scientist have discovered a cure for apathy but noone is paying them any attention.

Cthulu/Asmodeus, when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  19:01:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
In answer to "Amendment X" I would counter that just as someone has a right to go on the radio to tell the world about their conspiracy theory, you have a right to go on the radio to point out the errors if there are any.

I would also bring up Timothy McVeigh. That should shut anyone with half a brain up. Those with less than half a brain are probably beyond reaching.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.