Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  10:35:58  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
For those of you using Internet Explorer 4 and up there is a new chat feature called Shoutbox that let's you surf and chat at the same time. If people like it I can add it to more forum pages so you can talk on any page here.

Please let me know how it works for you.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  14:59:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Seems to work fine @tomic. You and I talked earlier, and Lars and I are talking now.
Lars and I have a few quibbles, so just ignore us if you want to.
A little *ping* of some sort might be nice to let someone know there's a new post.
And there's no way to tell exactly when someone posted. When Lars logged in, he was still seeing the tail end of the conversation you and I had hours ago.
Like I said, very minor.
I will shut up now.
Lisa

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of smart.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  15:07:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Any input is good! This is all new and is sure to need some tweaking. Too bad the user agreement says I can't reverse engineer it

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  15:15:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Well, it works for me. Even with Opera!
It just for some reason renders a little bit funny taking up twice the width that it needs. Together with my small monitor this could be annoying.

Maybe some way to turn it off?

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  15:18:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
I still think the whole thing is cool. It's neat to talk to people in "real time".
I've really gotten into PalTalk. The JREFers have a room there (not always open) If anyone wants directions to the room, let me know. I have the admin code for the room, so I can open it any time.
Lisa

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of smart.
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  15:58:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
I have found out what kept the shoutbox from rendering correctly on Opera.

I don't know if you are allowed to change it or if it will break it for other users, but if you could change it it would be nice.

If you change in shoutbox.asp in the second iframe-tag where it says width=100% to width=140 it should work.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  16:16:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I shall look into that but I thought it was set to 140
hmmmmmmmmmmm

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  16:28:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
How is it now?

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  16:36:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Well it looks fine on Opera 6.03. Umm, so, like, how does it work?

----------
!Go Wings!

- Cthulhu Saves! -
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  16:36:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
First type a nic and then talk!

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  16:37:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

How is it now?

No change.

are you sure you changed anything?

I meant in shoutbox.asp the second iframe-tag that goes:
quote:

<iframe name=textbox src=http://www.skepticfriends.org/shoutbox//textshoutbox.asp width=100% height=22 frameborder=0 scrolling=no marginwidth=0 marginheight=0></iframe>

This width=100% is causing trouble for some reason. changing it to the same value as in the table-tag and the first ifarme-tag make s evrything work all right.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  16:39:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Whoops, I forgot to release the file. It's there now.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  17:02:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Now something changed, but not what I meant.

I think that now you changed something in textshoutbox.asp the offending width=100% value in the shoutbox.asp is still there.

Xev does the Shoutbox look OK for you?
With Opera 6.01 I get a box about twice as wide as with IE. The text and everything appers only in the left half.

IE:

--------------
| Shoutbox! |
| A |
| - |
| ? |
| V |
| |
|------------|
| nick___ >> |
--------------

Opera 6.01

-------------------------------
| Shoutbox! |
| A |
| - |
| ? |
| V |
| |
|-----------------------------|
| nick___ >> |
-------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  19:56:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Got a problem with width. The designers actually encrypted that 100% setting. I will attempt to hack it and hope it is not "reverse engineering" although i might be able to build one of these on my own just by seeing how it works. it's a pretty straightforward flash chat set up in a small box. Nothing terribly tricky there. The trick is how it maintains a conversation across diferent pages as you surf and they keep the whole app at 12KB.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  20:00:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

For those of you using Internet Explorer 4 and up there is a new chat feature called Shoutbox that let's you surf and chat at the same time.

It's all too confussing for me. I don't even know what 'Internet Explorer 4' is.
Chatting and surfing at the same time???
Is that like those morons who talk on their car phones while driving and cause problems for everyone around them?
Can someone tell me what's the point?
Thank you.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease
to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  20:10:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Since when is web browsing even remotely like driving an automobile? Browsing can be a casual thing and talking to someone while doing it can be fun. If you disagree.....no one has a gun to your head.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.