SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  05:51:56  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
http://www.consortiumnews.com/1999/122299a.html

December 22, 1999
Inside U.S. Counterinsurgency:
A Soldier Speaks

Editor's Note: Stan Goff served in the U.S. military for two decades, much of the time with Special Forces training Third World armies. His first-person account of these counterinsurgency projects comes as policy makers in Washington press for major increases in military aid to Colombia's government in its war with leftist guerrillas.

By Stan Goff

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn

Chagur

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  17:49:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Chagur a Private Message
A bit dated but as far as I could determine, quite factual.

Thanks for finding it and posting it.

Take care.

"Fie, fie how franticly I square my talk!" -Edwin A. Abbott -
Go to Top of Page

LordofEntropy
Skeptic Friend

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  20:49:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit LordofEntropy's Homepage Send LordofEntropy a Private Message
Our government would never participate in questionable activities. Corporate interests and agendas never dictate the actions of our government. The government has always given full disclosure and completely accurate analysis of all its activities to the public. This soldier has obviously misinterpreted the government's crusade to save these poor folks from the dark depths of Communism.

Entropy just isn't what it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  02:44:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
You forgot the smiley to tell us that was tongue in cheek.

quote:

Our government would never participate in questionable activities.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

LordofEntropy
Skeptic Friend

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  17:33:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit LordofEntropy's Homepage Send LordofEntropy a Private Message
Was it my subtle touch of sarcasm that gave it away?

Entropy just isn't what it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2002 :  13:25:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:

http://www.consortiumnews.com/1999/122299a.html

December 22, 1999
Inside U.S. Counterinsurgency:
A Soldier Speaks

Editor's Note: Stan Goff served in the U.S. military for two decades, much of the time with Special Forces training Third World armies. His first-person account of these counterinsurgency projects comes as policy makers in Washington press for major increases in military aid to Colombia's government in its war with leftist guerrillas.

By Stan Goff

All of it was grim, but I think the most telling paragraphs from the article were:
quote:
From Stan Goff:
Though phrased differently, this argument is not new. In 1935, two-time Medal of Honor winner, retired Gen. Smedley Butler accused major New York investment banks of using the U.S. Marines as “racketeers” and “gangsters” to exploit financially the peasants of Nicaragua.

Later, Butler stated: “The trouble is that when American dollars earn only six percent over here, they get restless and go overseas to get 100 percent. The flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

“I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to defend some lousy investment of the bankers. We should fight only for the defense of our home and the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
"Not new" arguments? U.S. Marine General Butler was quoted from 1935. I once read where Abe Lincoln, during the 1860-65 War said, in near paraphrase of Butler:
quote:
"I'd like to hang all of the [New York] gold traders."
(I wish that I had a reference for Lincoln's quote, but I don't.)

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  16:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:

I once read where Abe Lincoln, during the 1860-65 War said, in near paraphrase of Butler:[quote]"I'd like to hang all of the [New York] gold traders."(I wish that I had a reference for Lincoln's quote, but I don't.)

Remember that in May 1864 two New York newspapermen succeeded in planting a phony story in two major New York papers that Lincoln had issued a proclamation calling for the conscription of 400,000 men due to the bad course of the war.

The purpose of the hoax was to manipulate gold prices and make a killing for the perpetrators.

It caused enough trouble that Lincoln would have had good reason to want to hang the entire tribe of gold speculators.

That might be the origin of your quote.

See http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/gold.html

Ford, there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.