Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  09:03:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Good grief, guys. All the kewl people know that the only good guitarists are those named "Steve."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  09:27:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mingofmongo

What kind of brain dysfunction does a person need to run around saying "Einstein was wrong!"??? When I see this kind of thing, I just want to give up the fight, and let the brain-dead inherit the Earth.

Well, that's the easy way out. One would hope that natural selection would opt them out, but that seems not to be the case. Fundies' tight community and their highly advanced input-filter protects them. That reduces the need to actually have a dysfunction.
quote:

It makes me think of the terribly inane conversations that start out with, "Who is the greatest guitarist in the world?" Why do people say these stupid things.

It is important! It serves as a training-ground for skeptic thinking, and argumentation.
quote:

Just about everyone in the civilized world knows this, or at least knows something about the process, having been taught some science in school. For the love of Jebus, please try to remember.

You are forgetting something, some people are brought up in a Fundie family. They are not taught critical thinking at home, nor at the religious school they are sent to. And from childhood they are programmed with that fantastic input-filter that automatically discard any information that is harmful to their belief, stuff not coming from the Bible or preacher.

Because they haven't been taught science, they have nothing to remember!
quote:

This is the kind of thing that defines us as humans. Rhinos have a big horn, elephants have tusks and a trunk, tigers have big teeth and claws, and humans have science and comunication.

No argument from me here...
quote:

Sorry for the rant, but this just kills me. Sometimes I want to renounce my humanity and be a chimp. Chimps don't misunderstand the scientific process. Maybe ignorance IS bliss - but the ignorance must be total to work out truely blissful.

To be totally ignorant means having such a severe mental handicap you will not be able to take care of yourself, in any way. And while the few mentally handicapped people I've worked taking care of are on the average happier than the average normal person, I would not want to be one myself. I just try to surround myself with people intelligent enough to have a clue. Then I have the option to retire to an environment that is less challenging.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  10:40:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Good grief, guys. All the kewl people know that the only good guitarists are those named "Steve."

GOOD GRIEF! You're really on to something there...
All kinds of possible names start to pop up. The obvious in descending order:
Lukather
Howe
Miller
Vai

(By the way, what does the mean? I'v never seen that smiley before)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  11:05:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
Mabuse, you forgot a very important Steve: Ray Vaughn.

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  11:14:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And Van Zandt.

Obviously, my brother Joe has no hope of becoming a guitar god no matter how much he practices, unless he changes his name.

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but it came from an old acquaintance of mine, who was a pretty good guitar player on her own, but she certainly wasn't a Steve.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Phantom

35 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  07:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Phantom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus

Thanx for the excellent post Phantom!! I've not read anything more stimulating in quite some time. More links to this topic??

I'm pleased to learn that you found it a stimulating read! Unfortunately I know of no other links to the topic.

"You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.