Not that theres anything wrong with that
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  13:52:50  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  05:35:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Wow, I wonder why conservative Christians are so afraid of gay people. Do they think that gay people can turn good god fearin' children gay, if they are really straight? It sort of seems like internalized homophobia. Plus, do you think they will ever let queer America in on the real gay rights agenda?

quote:
But truth is stranger than fiction, notes the author: "Research confirms that homosexuals molest children at a rate vastly higher than heterosexuals, and the mainstream homosexual culture commonly promotes sex with children. Homosexual leaders repeatedly argue for the freedom to engage in consensual sex with children, and blind surveys reveal a shockingly high number of homosexuals admit to sexual contact with minors. Indeed, the homosexual community is driving the worldwide campaign to lower the legal age of consent."

Do y'all think they could let us in on their references?

"The Constitution ..., is a marvelous document for self-government by Christian people. But the minute you turn the document into the hands of non-Christian and atheistic people they can use it to destroy the very foundation of our society." P. Robertson
Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  22:41:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
It's rather ironic that the members of a bizzarre (spelling?) religious cult whose central figure is a thirty-something male celibate should be critical of other people's sexuality.

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  00:12:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
quote:

It's rather ironic that the members of a bizzarre (spelling?) religious cult whose central figure is a thirty-something male celibate should be critical of other people's sexuality.

A celibate? I think it is more a case of undetermined sexual orientation that believers can project their own desires onto. The celibate part is just something that got focused apon by the catholic church in their desire to make sexuality look something evil.

The good think about the Bible is that you can read almost anything you want into it. You sometimes have to cheat, as gays have to when using secret Mark to show that Jesus was gay, but generally anything goes.

Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2002 :  00:47:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
quote:
A celibate?

Yes, apparently jesus never had a lover. This accounts for his squirrelly pronouncements on human sexuality. Think of it! Every xian's ideal man didn't know what life is all about and prissily condemned the one pleasure beside which all others combined look rather paltry.

Go to Top of Page

Hobbes

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  03:16:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hobbes a Private Message
I think Jesus was a classic example of the sexual-repression fanatic prevalent in George Orwell's 1984. Orwell pointed out that the only way to generate the energy needed for 24/7 war-hysteria (or in this case, fanatical religious belief) was to bottle up the sex-drive, and use it as a driving force.

And Newton said, "y'= lim h->0 of [f(x+h)-f(x)]/[(x+h)-x], thus, Calculus was born, and Newton saw that it was good.
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  05:43:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

I think Jesus was a classic example of the sexual-repression fanatic prevalent in George Orwell's 1984. Orwell pointed out that the only way to generate the energy needed for 24/7 war-hysteria (or in this case, fanatical religious belief) was to bottle up the sex-drive, and use it as a driving force.

That would certainly explain a lot....

Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...Two more years...

*whine*
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  09:05:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Could have been worse. There was, after all, the god Attis who was also a big deal starting in 204BCE. They had their temple set up on the Palatine. Attis was the savior, ever-dying, ever-resurrected, who was born of the virgin Cybele.
During their high feast day (March 22) called the Festival of Joy (Hilaria) adherents would become so worked up with religious fervor that they would castrate themselves, run naked through the streets of Rome, threw their testes into one of the houses they passed. The household so honored had to furnish "him" with a suit of women's clothes and accessories, which "he" wore for the rest of "his" life.

One might wonder if looking around your house to find if the bloody pieces had rolled under a couch later became Easter egg hunts.

On March 24 (The Day of Blood) novices would sacrifice their virility. They would fling their severed portions against the statue of Cybele. Afterwards the bits and pieces would be reverently wrapt up and kept in subterranean chambers to insure that Attis would return to life.

You can read all about this original Easter Parade in James George Frazer's The Golden Bough--but not on an empty stomach.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  13:35:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
quote:

And Newton said, "y'= lim h->0 of [f(x+h)-f(x)]/[(x+h)-x], thus, Calculus was born, and Newton saw that it was good.

Good analogy. Religionists, xians especially, always oppose anything that makes people happy, as they claim that only religion (cloaked in whatever euphemism, e. g. "spirituality," "getting closer to god," "having a relationship with jesus," "what I believe," etc.) brings happiness, a claim on which religion is pisspoor short on delivery. Needless to say, the churches simply must frown upon miniskirts, marijuana, and rock 'n' roll.

Go to Top of Page

Satan

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  15:43:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Satan an AOL message Send Satan a Private Message
Not only that, but I'm sure the most critical of all homosexuals fear that either they themselves are or will be homosexual, or that a homosexual will randomly select them to be their partner and pursue this. The most adamant homophobes whom I have met have never actually gotten to know a single homosexual, and many have never knowingly seen one in person.

Then again, this is probably the conservative community trying to create yet another scapegoat. After all, Satan is millenia old, and people have kind of gotten used to the idea of me being around. I don't strike the same fear into the heart of the average, "lukewarm" Christian. Rock 'n Roll is likewise obsolete, since our own George W. is now tight with Ozzy (who knows - maybe a few presidents from now Marilyn Manson will be in the White House chilling with the Prez and his Peeps?). There are few groups that truly terrify people anymore: "terrorists" (whether actually terrorists or just foreign-looking), humanists (agh!!!), and, of course, homosexuals. The last is probably the greatest fear, since many people would rather die a noble death at the hands of a terrorist than be humiliated by a "gay rape," which is an honest fear of many of my friends.

If we let the Religious Right continue this tirade, pretty soon Satan will be gay!!! (I respect homosexuals, but am not one myself, nor have any desire to change my preferences!)

Satan,
a.k.a. the Talking Snake Whom Atheists, Witches, Muslims, and Puerto Ricans Worship (If You Ask Anyone In This State)

Edited by - Satan on 07/18/2002 15:44:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.