Health
 Major Quackery Here, Help!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Toucan

3 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  16:43:54  Show Profile Send Toucan a Private Message
I just visited my brother last week and found out he is spending tons of his hard earned money on a quack doctor scam. He is buying herbs, bottles of liquid goop, etc, etc to get his body in sync. He claims he got rid of 215 gall stones with some liquid flush. How he came up with that number is beyond me. Anyway, the "doctor" has him hold his arm out at shoulder length and puts his hand on the wrist. He then holds sugar, bannanas or any food in his other hand and puts it near his stomach and asks him "does your body like this" and puts downward force on the arm. If the arm stays up thats a yes, if the arm comes down thats a no. Its so freakin unbelieveable to me that he is burning tons of money on quackery. Please point me to a web site or somewhere I can get info about this nonsense so I can educate this degreed engineer.. Thank you.... Sad Brother

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  17:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
The gall stone thing sound like an old trick using snake-oil or oilve-oil and ignorance of basic chemistry to get people to count chips of soap in their own shit and pay out a lot of money.

Try the Quackwatch homepage for more information about Quackery. You are bound to find some info on the stuff you have described there, too.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  19:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Yeah, do a search for Hulda Clark at Quackwatch. Be sure to get on the Quackwatch mailing list. Archives at http://www.ssr.com

Be sure to check out http://www.skepdic.com as well. The arm thing is called "Applied Kinesiology." http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/ak.html

quote:

I just visited my brother last week and found out he is spending tons of his hard earned money on a quack doctor scam. He is buying herbs, bottles of liquid goop, etc, etc to get his body in sync.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Toucan

3 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  08:49:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Toucan a Private Message
Thank you very much for the assistance. I plan on getting to the bottom of this BS and giving him an education.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  08:52:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Good luck. Most folks don't want to hear it, but he may be one that hears what you say. My friends have spent thousands of dollars on this kind of crap.

quote:

Thank you very much for the assistance. I plan on getting to the bottom of this BS and giving him an education.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  08:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Take the liver flush stuff, put it in a bowl and leave it a day, and they tell me it looks the same as the "stones" that people find in their poop when they drink this stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  15:24:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I just visited my brother last week and found out he is spending tons of his hard earned money on a quack doctor scam. He is buying herbs, bottles of liquid goop, etc, etc to get his body in sync. He claims he got rid of 215 gall stones with some liquid flush. How he came up with that number is beyond me. Anyway, the "doctor" has him hold his arm out at shoulder length and puts his hand on the wrist. He then holds sugar, bannanas or any food in his other hand and puts it near his stomach and asks him "does your body like this" and puts downward force on the arm. If the arm stays up thats a yes, if the arm comes down thats a no. Its so freakin unbelieveable to me that he is burning tons of money on quackery. Please point me to a web site or somewhere I can get info about this nonsense so I can educate this degreed engineer.. Thank you.... Sad Brother

Dr. Dean Edell at http://www.healthcentral.com, the man is a genus, IMO besides being a non believer (I think he's an atheist but don't want to go that far to assume it). He has a nation wide radio show from San Francisco. He debunks those kinds of medical scams.
BTW, you are serious, aren't you? You aren't joking are you? No intelligent person really thinks what your brother is doing is sound medical procedure, do they? Unless we aren't being told all the facts, it sounds strange.

----------------
*Carabao forever

*SAN FERNANDO VALLEY SECESSION - YES

*All lives are movie settings, it's what channel you're on that counts. Zatikia

*Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Jaye S.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  16:50:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Can't speak for this person, but I'll guarantee you that millions are made on this kind of scam and worse.

quote:
Unless we aren't being told all the facts, it sounds strange.

Go to Top of Page

Toucan

3 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  17:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Toucan a Private Message
No, I'm not joking and playing games here, I've already spent 10 hours doing web research. I'm putting together some information that will hopefully help him. Now I know what this stuff is called thanks to Gorgo. All replies here are helpful, Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Garrette
SFN Regular

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  05:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Garrette a Yahoo! Message Send Garrette a Private Message
Conduct a test of the same foods that the quack tested him one and check for different results.

Blind it, if you can.

Have your brother list the foods that "his body likes" and those that it doesn't like. (Sheesh)

Put those foods in separate paper bags. Hand them in a random order to a third party who holds the bags against your brother's stomach and pushes on his arm.

Record the results and then compare to the doctor's results.

Throw in some ringers, too, like plastic bananas.

My kids still love me.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2002 :  05:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I went to a weekend seminar where they taught this kind of thing. I told the instructor, in front of the class that this was just suggestion, and that he obviously pushed harder sometimes. He said that was true, and that suggestion was a method to use in healing, like the placebo effect. The crowd loved his double-talk and bought it and we went on with the seminar.

My point here is that it's important to work against this kind of superstition, but like a lot of things, don't beat your head against the wall because logic doesn't matter to most people. They want their illusions.

I have friends that have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on different sized containers of colored water and one of them bought a new alchemaic name from their guru. Now they're onto something else. If it's not accepted by the mainstream, it must be right.

Don't get me wrong. Do the tests if your brother is willing. Show him what you can. Then understand that he will probably keep buying crap.

quote:

Conduct a test of the same foods that the quack tested him one and check for different results.

Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  00:09:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
As an MD I get questioed all the time about these scams. Gall stones do not go away. My reply to most people who ask me about such things is " Doctors and their families all suffer from these diseases and die every year. If they worked don't you think we would be using them too?" They then say something like then we would be out of business if we went along with it and I say no we wouldn't because we would just charge people to come to us for these treatments.

As far as drug companies not wanting to lose the profit the companies that sell quack cures often trade and sell right along with the vitamin and all natural cures on the stock exchange. Plus it says on the bottle that they are just suppliments and if they really worked they would stand behind their product and face being sued as the drug companies and the doctors.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.