Weight -loss adds sometimes lie?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  21:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
This from ABCNEWS.com:

"Weight-loss advertising is riddled with false or misleading claims that prey on millions of overweight people seeking help to shed pounds, the Federal Trade Commission reported Tuesday. The FTC found that 55 percent of weight-loss ads make claims that lack proof or very likely are false."

The rest of this article can be found at:

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/ap20020917_899.html

Thanks to Michael Kotara for bringing it to my attention.

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  00:30:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
What??! "cough".....<sputter>..gasp, NOOOO!! It CANT be, it CANT be TRUE!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  08:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

This from ABCNEWS.com:

"Weight-loss advertising is riddled with false or misleading claims that prey on millions of overweight people seeking help to shed pounds, the Federal Trade Commission reported Tuesday. The FTC found that 55 percent of weight-loss ads make claims that lack proof or very likely are false."

The rest of this article can be found at:

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/ap20020917_899.html

Thanks to Michael Kotara for bringing it to my attention.

The Evil Skeptic

Sometimes? How about mostly. They also speak quickly about exercise and dietary changes in a low voice so that the mark, I mean consumer, will buy the product and not think about the diet and exercise.

"Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who tells you differently, is selling something." - Wesley from the Princess Bride

Cthulu/Asmodeus, when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  10:00:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message

It still makes me laugh (sardonically, of course) when I see that every single testimonial and video and before-and-after shot has a little disclaimer that says:

Results not typical.

Edited by - tokyodreamer on 09/18/2002 10:01:14
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  10:28:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
A friend of mine at work used to get this crap in the mail all the time. The day I saw her getting out her checkbook to buy miracle broccoli weight loss pills, I'd had it. I pulled up the quackwatch site and insisted she read about weight loss scams. She'd never heard of a double blind study.
In the end, she saved over $100 (which she couldn't afford anyway), and decided if she wanted the benefits from broccoli, she could go to the commissary and buy some freakin broccoli.
I also introduced her to a revolutionary new weight loss scheme: exercise more, eat less.

We have enough youth. We need a fountain of smart.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  18:35:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Yup to all of the above. This report pleased me because they mentioned Enforma and Steve Garvey. They are sort of a hobby of mine....

The Evil Skeptic

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  20:16:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

"Life is pain, Princess. Anyone who tells you differently, is selling something." - Wesley from the Princess Bride

[off topic]

I honestly hate to nit-pick, but this is my favorite film. I believe the quote is, "Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." Again, I am truly sorry for the seemingly needless pedantry, but I assure you, a higher purpose is served.

[/off topic]

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  07:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

[off topic]

I honestly hate to nit-pick, but this is my favorite film. I believe the quote is, "Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." Again, I am truly sorry for the seemingly needless pedantry, but I assure you, a higher purpose is served.

[/off topic]

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume

After checking IMDB, I find you are right.

Buttercup: You mock my pain!
Westley: Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE!
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Cthulu/Asmodeus, when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  11:01:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
I use to be able to quote perhaps 90% of the film but I'm out of practice. My favorite dialogue is the battle of wits between Vizzini and Westley.

Westley: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait 'till I get going! Where was I?

-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  12:48:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Westley: Australia.

I think, however, that we have just hijacked the thread...(though I have nothing else to contribute).

-me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.