Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  23:34:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
This from CNN: how the UN controls the the problems that threaten the stability of the world.
------
GENEVA, Switzerland -- A French ban on the controversial practice of "dwarf-tossing" has been upheld by the U.N. Human Rights Committee.

If you think that's amusing you should see the latest out of the white house. Letterman should hire Bush's comedy writer because it's some of the best political comedy in decades. Consider some of our own headlines about putting god back in the pledge of allegiance. Does anyone in the US have anything to brag about? No I didn't think so...

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  23:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

Does anyone in the US have anything to brag about? No I didn't think so...

We know YOU don't think so.

-------
My business is to teach my aspirations to conform themselves to fact, not to try and make facts harmonize with my aspirations. ---Thomas Henry Huxley, 1860
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  02:07:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Oh I do actually, but I don't see how a UN group focusing on a trivial matter sets the US above everyone else. Not by a longshot. I would reach into the hat to pull something else out.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  07:10:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
What exactly is your point Slater? That they should have ruled differently? That they should have refused to listen to the case, because the problems of french dwarfs are insignificant and don't deserve a hearing? That there should not be an UN human rights Comitee at all, because it infrings on the autonomy of nations like France? That the clerks and bureaucrats involved in this could spend their time far more productive, if they invaded Iraq?

Go to Top of Page

The SollyLama
Skeptic Friend

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  09:26:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send The SollyLama a Private Message
quote:
RIIIIIIIGHT!!!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--C'mon. We don't 'rule' these places. Afghanistan is free to have elections

--Because you've been to exactly how many of these places? Oh you're an expert alright. Here's a ball, go play with the other kids somewhere. When you have even a clue as to what you are talking about, maybe you'll be worth considering.

quote:
Does anyone in the US have anything to brag about? No I didn't think so...

--Stupidity like this is why I say you should get the hell out. I have a system and the history that got us where we are today that I am damn proud of. And more, you can choose to be proud of something, like an ethnic heritage or religion, if you so desire. Try excersizing that freedom in a large hunk of the world and you'll get locked up. or worse. We are the world leader. I've been alot of other countries and they all suck in comparison. The everyday life of the worst off American is better than many dignataries from these backwater countries.
The fact that my daughter can grow up to be president or an astronaut instead of being sold off in an arranged marriage and kept in a kitchen- that makes me proud. The fact that you can believe in an unseen ghost in the sky that controls everything and not be locked up for it- makes me proud. The fact that the US alone (well, the Brits lent a hand) enforced the law on a maniac like Hussein while the rest of the world 1) couldn't do much as they are not the global giant the us is and just don't bring much to the table and 2) they are cowards. I'm proud that it was us that took the world lead in containing would be Hitlers and Nebucanezzars (as Hussein saw himself) of the world. That it was the US that lifted the tryanny of the Taliban from Afghanistan.
Not one of our detractors can even begin to compare in quality of life or freedom to the US. Not one offers much help in keeping petty tyrants from using WMD as a negotiating tool. Most of our detractors are the terrorists and wing-nut fundamentalists. It's not like Bin Laden is trying to free Saudi from US rule. He's pissed because he thinks the sand is holy to some god and we're not allowed to touch it. So I'm not too impressed with the people who hate us.
quote:
Oh I do actually, but I don't see how a UN group focusing on a trivial matter sets the US above everyone else

--I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly- the Iraq thing? or the Dwarves?
I'll assume the Iraq thing.
Trivial. Now we KNOW you have no combat experience. You just don't know how what bad shit happens when someone uses a weapon. Any weapon. A terrorist with a bottle rocket is not trivial. Maybe trivial to you. But not to people who actually have a stake in surviving. There's families of over 3000 people from the WTC attacks that would argue that ANY maniac with ANY weapon is not trivial.
How is any ANY WMD trivial? Hell, since we know that Iraq's WMD program is poorly guarded or accounted for at best, an accident just in Iraq could devestate population centers. They don't have to even load the stuff into a warhead for it to be dangerous. An accident in the lab would be catastrophic because they don't have those billion dollar buildings like the CDC to contain an accident. We thought the threat of the Somalis was 'trivial' because they were skinny illiterate yahoos with a couple RPG's and small arms. Idiots. Barbarians and thugs. Certainly no threat to us. Yeah, that worked well for us.
This smacks of the same prejudice that made us think that the Japanese were no threat to us. That those tiny little Vietnamese were powerless against the mighty US. Or even like the UFO nuts that don't give humans enough credit to be able to build pyramids. Like an implied racism. We are oh-so-superior that terrorists could NEVER fly planes into the very symbol of US economy and crumble it. Think again.
A threat exists. And I'll agree it's more of a local threat than it is to US soil. But we must protect our interests worldwide, and hey, here's that big bad US defending OTHER people from a threat. One that their own leadership hems and haws over. While the rich Saudi royalty plays up to the fanatics to keep itself in power, I'm sure the average Saudi citizen is much happier in knowing that they were not next on Saddam's target list because the US came to the rescue. And that they don't have to worry too much about Iraqi SCUDs filled with smallpox raining down on them-because the US, not their own government, is defending them.
None of these people pay any tax or tribute to the US, so WE DO NOT OWN OR RULE THESE COUNTRIES. We get favorable trade agreements, but look at the deficit- we are not profitting from the trade. We get consumer goods at a net loss economically, so the US dominating the world conspriacy is a bunch of bunk. You're concept of global pre-eminence is no more sophisticated than a game of Risk. Well, it's a bit more complex than that in the real world.

Bleed for me, I've bled for you. Embrace me child, I'll see you through.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  10:00:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Maybe my comments will be worth considering to you, Solly, since I am in the military.
quote:
Here's a ball, go play with the other kids somewhere. When you have even a clue as to what you are talking about, maybe you'll be worth considering.
--Stupidity like this is why I say you should get the hell out.
Now we KNOW you have no combat experience. You're concept of global pre-eminence is no more sophisticated than a game of Risk. Well, it's a bit more complex than that in the real world.
You are ultimately turning people away from your ideas with these condescending and inflammatory remarks. Rather than think, "this guy really knows what he's talking about," people will think, "what an arrogant prick!" You may have some good ideas hidden in your post, but they are hard to find over the above comments.

Somebody's lack of military experience should not immediately discredit them, as you attempt to do. You have far less experience of other countries than you seem to think. I know where the military sends people. You go to (usually) the seediest, least well-off cities in the poorest countries. You then come back and say how much better America is than every other country because you've been to those other places. Have you ever been to Rome? Paris? Sydney? London? You have as little credibility as anyone else here.

-me.

Edited for my poor grammar.

Edited by - boron10 on 09/29/2002 10:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  10:23:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Solly has absolutely zero idea of what he's talking about. I don't think "he's an arrogant prick." That's the way he thinks. I think he's an unfortunately poor education.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn

Edited by - gorgo on 09/29/2002 10:24:07
Go to Top of Page

The SollyLama
Skeptic Friend

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  10:52:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send The SollyLama a Private Message
quote:
You are ultimately turning people away from your ideas with these condescending and inflammatory remarks. Rather than think, "this guy really knows what he's talking about," people will think, "what an arrogant prick!" You may have some good ideas hidden in your post, but they are hard to find over the above comments

--I may very well be an arrogant prick. Oh well, a result of not being afraid of shit. What you call arrogance I call confidence. Get some.
And I admit, I've sank to Gorgo's level here. He is an idiot, I've sparred with him and his non-sensical conspiracy garbage all over this BBS, and frankly I'm just tired of his stupidity. I will ignore him and only reply to people that exhibit a modicum of intelligence.

quote:
Somebody's lack of military experience should not immediately discredit them, as you attempt to do

--I have not. The accusation has been made that the US (more directly the military) is conqouring nations wholesale and enslaving the planet. But for someone who has never spent a second in the military, or serving any other worthwhile purpose to America, to claim we are slaughtering populations is simply incorrect. The assertation that we inflict mass human suffering around the world does not gel with the reality of what the military does. I know, I was there. So in this regard, yes, I have far more credibility than someone spouting conspiracy crap from behind a computer.
You can make the accusation, like missing stars in a moon picture, but an expert can soundly shoot that down. Well, it don't get much more expert than having been the guy on the ground, sarge.
quote:
Have you ever been to Rome? Paris? Sydney? London? You have as little credibility as anyone else here

--You mean developed industrial cities like Seoul? Third largest city in the world. Been there. Smelled the OPEN SEWERS, saw the lack of dogs (they do indeed still eat them despite what the PC crowd may say), and noticed the horrorific personal hygene of the people. I actually shared a room and latrine with 3 koreans (well to do KATUSA's) and saw up close and personal how even well heeled people in other countries live. I'll pass.
Or maybe you mean Nairobi. Where the tour buses keep the windows closed because thieves will HACK OFF YOUR ARM WITH A MACHETE for the nice watch on it. I was in the embassy that was destroyed not two months before it was bombed.
Or possibly Jeruselem, where the goats brains are sold fresh on tables covered with flies? Or Stuttgart, where the women have more hair under their pits than me. Paris, where bathing is secondary to colonge and ass-funk. Check out thier sewers sometime too, they're right there for all to inhale. Riyadh, where girls are essentially sold to middle aged men? And guess how good thier sewage is too while you're at it.
I know the battery of shots I had to get and the litany of pills I had to take to fend off the nasty diseases endemic to all these wonderful vacation spots.
I suffered through 6 months of INH, a drug so dangerous the Army can't even MAKE you take it, because I came back from one of these paradises with a little souvenier called TB.
Yeah, SO much better than the good ole US.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  11:33:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Now you understand what I mean by his lack of education. He is a very confused young man.

quote:

What you call arrogance I call confidence.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  05:15:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Fear is confidence, ignorance is education, foolishness is wisdom, war is peace.

quote:

What you call arrogance I call confidence.

[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

The SollyLama
Skeptic Friend

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  16:54:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send The SollyLama a Private Message
This is all just more conspiracy crap right along with the moon hoax. The arguments are essentially the same.
The big bad US is evil and it's all lies and cover ups. Yeah right.
I'm amazed that on a site that touts intolerance of chicken little conspiracy garbage that so many jump right on this bandwagon.
What's next? A video called A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Iraq? Is someone going to stick a camera in my face and claim I never handed out food and medicine? That Somalia was really Area 51 with trucked in skinny people for the shoot?
Hijacked my anti-UN thread with all this conspiracy crap. You're not even original, it's the same argument I heard during Clinton's embarrassing tour. "Oh you're just going to Bosnia to control the muslims in Europe" was a favorite. None of those detractors were there actually on the ground, however. None helped mark and map mass graves or transport truckloads of raped and battered women to field hospitals. Try walking into a house sometime to find a woman hanging by the rafter because she was shamed and shunned because of her rape. Yeah, we're so fucking bad.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  17:18:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

I'm amazed that on a site that touts intolerance of chicken little conspiracy garbage that so many jump right on this bandwagon.

No, it's just that most everyone else moved on a long time ago (look up some Rubysue stuff). Only Gorgo just keeps reviving old Iraq threads and posting...

and posting...

and posting...

[I miss Garrette's take on this subject ]

Edited by - tokyodreamer on 09/30/2002 17:20:07
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  17:46:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Yes, your experience in Somalia means that napalm was really flowers and Agent Orange was really orange juice.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  17:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Yes, if you want something that makes Solly's posts look almost sane, read Rubysue's posts.

Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  18:07:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
What exactly is your point Slater?
I found it humorous because it was so pathetic.
That they should have ruled differently? That they should have refused to listen to the case, because the problems of french dwarfs are insignificant and don't deserve a hearing?
Yes. That and the fact that it took the world body seven whole years to do this one thing.
If you'll reread the story you'll see that the UN found against the dwarfs, not for them. The dwarfs wanted to be tossed but some PC group got a law passed that prevented them from making a living in the guise of protecting their dignity.
The idea that this silliness should not only come up to the UN but that it should take from 1995 'til now to decide on anything I find quite funny.
That there should not be an UN human rights Comitee at all, because it infrings on the autonomy of nations like France?
They didn't infringe on France, they found in favor of France. They infringed on the little people.
That the clerks and bureaucrats involved in this could spend their time far more productive, if they invaded Iraq?
That the bureaucrats involved in this are equally effective for the past seven years monitoring Sadam's NBC weapons and a bunch of French midgets. The difference is that they got off their asses and finally did something about the dwarfs in less time than Iraq. So we know where their priorities are.

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.