Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  17:28:35  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Poll Question:
Should the US go to War with Iraq?

Results:
Yes!   [41%] 67 votes
No!   [59%] 98 votes
0   [0%] 0 votes
0   [0%] 0 votes
0   [0%] 0 votes
0   [0%] 0 votes
0   [0%] 0 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 165 counted  »»   Last Vote: 06/28/2005 19:07:57 

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  04:58:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I think the question is not should they start a war, but should the U.S. escalate the war on the Iraqi people. The U.S. has been at war for years complete with bombings and military blockade. The question is not, should we protect the world from Saddam Hussein, which the U.S. never really cared about when Saddam Hussein was an actual threat to its neighbors. The question is, should we allow our country to continue to be stained by the crimes of people like "W."

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  16:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I am referring to war in the sense that that George Jr. is with a full scale invasion and regime change. Regime change is an interesting term because the way it's been used recently means installing a puppet government and calling it democratic in the press a la Afghanistan. I will change my mind on that one if they have a fair election.

quote:
The question is, should we allow our country to continue to be stained by the crimes of people like "W."

That is another poll altogether

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  00:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
I am very unhappy about any war or type of military action period!!!! We end punishing innocent people who want only to live, love and go about their lives the best they can. Saddly somehow humans let megalomaniacs have too much power. Anyone who wants to rule is suspect in my book but when someone like Saddam disrupts the safety of a region or the world we cannot sit back and let them hurt anyone they please.

The UN is not a governing body with no elected officials and the US is the wealthiest and most militarily advanced member of the Security Council so if the UN decides action must be taken we will take on the brunt of it but if no other country is willing to lend support in the form of military arms, troops, money and intellligence then we have no right to walk into a foreign country and tell them who should be their leader should be.

No world backing makes us the bullies we are accussed of being. Understand PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE on both sides. People in the military signed up for this the innocents in Iraq did not. Lets just be very clear what we are going to gain because the average American is not going to be affected very much. Our fear of Saddam has probably made him into a bigger demon then he actually is.

I wish we could go back to the days where who Clinton was having an affair with and a sky-rocketing economy was the front page news.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!
Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  00:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
By the way I agree with Gorgo.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  02:20:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Dr. Shari, I do agree with you, but, (not necessarily referring to Iraq) when do the acts of watching genocide, or ignoring our own national insecurity become less an atrocity than the acts themselves, or any act of war? This question is impossible to answer with the limited information that the general public receives, (and even more difficult with the information that the majority of the public cares to know about). Sometimes we must put our faith in our elected officials to make the correct decisions. And, sometimes we have to choose sides. Our national interests do not always coincide with the UN as a whole, or even the Security Council.

I just wish that we had another group of idiots in Washington DC to make these decisions. The idiots now in power seem be motivated more by personal political gain, rather than for any reason that may be construed as being benevolent. And, this, I think, makes them as dangerous as Saddam himself - Maybe more so, considering the amount of military power this country can exert.

"Many of those people involved with Adolph Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals--the two things seem to go together."--Pat Robertson, "The 700 Club," 1/21/93

Edited by - tim on 10/07/2002 02:21:10

Edited by - tim on 10/07/2002 02:22:15

Edited by - tim on 10/07/2002 02:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  04:57:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
When does the public receive the information? Twenty years later when we find out they were lying?

I think we've seen that Intelligence is more about disinformation than information.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  16:39:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I have to say that I am surprised that such a wide majority is voting for war.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2002 :  18:47:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Saddam is a dreadful fellow, certainly, and I'd love to read about his near-future, fatal accident, but currently I see no reason for a US invasion, UN sanctioned or not.

Uh, well, does anyone remember Vietnam as well as I do?

f

Religion, oh, just another of those numerous failures resulting from an attempt to popularize art.
-- Ezra Pound
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  09:58:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
I remember. This is a little off topic, Atomic. Polls on topics like this one, issues that are still in flux, may not reflect the current consensus. Dunno what the solution would be, perhaps a daily poll? Just a thought...

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  10:08:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Anyone could change their vote if they wanted to as I remember?

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  10:35:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
No, votes cannot be changed.

@tomic

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  18:51:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message
It's too bad all the economic and political stuff is in there too, however that's the way of the world.

I voted "no" to war, as I don't wish people to go and die for little good reason. Having said that, I'd prefer the Churchillian response to the Chamberlainian (is that even a word?)

I mean the world is in it deep at the moment. Every weirdo out there has access to technology undreamed of before. Just look at the ol' internet. More woo woo sites than you can shake a stick at. And that's just the internet.

We could, of course, just let things play out. I see smoking ruins if that path is followed, myself.

I do like the "one bullet option" that was mentioned, because it will strip away the pretense. If they want Saddam gone, he will be gone with no collateral damage. I would prefer if there were no excuses after that option, though.

I see that North Korea is supposedly nuclear capable now (according to those who supposedly know). This causes me to ask "Where will the next bogeyman spring up??"

Now I'm going to ramble a bit here, so move along if you don't want to get bored.

The above leads me to wonder about the average intelligence of the world. Are there really a WHOLE LOTTA stupid people out there? Would us being sent back to the stone age be SUCH a big step for most of 'em? Would the smart ones not survive anyway? Even if they didn't, wouldn't there be more smart ones in the future?

In a million years, will any of it matter?

Don't know if anyone wishes to throw out their answers or not, but I think in a million years the current Bush administration will be fairly insignificant.

If you think it's work, you're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  20:50:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
Over here in Australia there is a fair bit of debate on whether we should follow you guys in if you go. Since 100 odd Aussies got killed in Bali the warmongerers are out and keen as mustard to kill.

However, once the dust has settled I think sanity will prevail.

We followed you into Vietnam but on this issue, I really don't think that the war in Iraq is any of our business. The war on Osama is different but Saddam is your monster. I just don't see how hard it would be to assasinate him. Save a lot of innocent people getting injured.

I would rather be the offspring of two apes than be a man and afraid to face the truth.
-- Thomas Huxley
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  05:55:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
What's the rationale for invading Iraq in particular as opposed to, say North Korea? Aren't they the ones who just told the world they're developing nuclear weapons (with help from Pakistan) in open defiance of UN mandates? Can we just attack anyone in the Axis of Evil™, or does it have to be Iraq?

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  06:12:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
And can anyone attack them at will? Can Russia attack them? Is it okay if Russia attacks Israel for violating UN resolutions?

quote:

What's the rationale for invading Iraq in particular as opposed to, say North Korea? Aren't they the ones who just told the world they're developing nuclear weapons (with help from Pakistan) in open defiance of UN mandates? Can we just attack anyone in the Axis of Evil™, or does it have to be Iraq?

Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.
-D. Hume

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.