New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Forum Admin

16 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  03:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
Well, here it is folks. Phase one of my big redo of SFN's code. There are bound to be a lot of issues and bumps along the way so please post anything odd you might be experiencing.

My Page A central location for topics you started. Quick links to edit your profile, select color themes, check Private Messages and more!

Private Messages: Send Messages to other members. Clicking on the PM icon sends you to a form to send a message. Messages will be held for 30 days before deleting.

PM Pager: This is a way of sending messages back and forth in real time. It requires no download. Just click on the link that says PM Pager and while the Pager is open if you receive a message it will open automatically.

Buddy List: Select members in their profiles or in topics. Your buddies will show up in the Buddy List box and in the PM Pager.

Bookmarks: Bookmark topics or articles for easy access

Active Polls: A quick look at ongoing polls and votes.

Avatars: These are images you can select to reflect your personality in topics. If you don't see one you like feel free to email one and we will format to 64 x 64 pixels it and set it up for you.

Profile Image: Send in your picture and we will format it to 150 x 150 pixels and upload it for you.

YourName@skepticfriends.org If you would like a skepticfriends.org just send me mail or a Private Message(to @tomic) and I will set up an account for you. Just make sure you also send the name you want and a desired passord. Names and passwords must be a minimum of 4 characters each.

Check your mail at: http://mail.skepticfriends.org

Login is your full email address: Me@skepticfriends.org
Password is whatever it happens to be.

Events Calendar
Any member may add events to the calendar. Some good suggestions are lectures, TV programs, radio shows or perhaps chat sessions. It's up to you.

Polling
Participate in one of the ongoing polls we have and discuss the nature of the poll which is usually more interesting than the poll itself.

Forum Code Only!
For security reasons we are using forum code only on this board. The forums code is very simple and you can get examples which you will see on your left when you are using the form you make posts with.

We have an undocumented forum code tag called spolier which is used with /spoiler. Text between these must be selected with the mouse to be seen so people just reading the post can only see it if they want to leaving you free to discuss movie or book plots without the fear of ruining it for everyone. Don't forget the brackets!

test

Admin
Forum Admin

16 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  14:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
I am also sad to report that the process is going to mean losing all existing polls.

@tomic
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  09:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Please, oh PLEASE!!, keep the font of a size that a 1/2 drunk, recently snakebit, old man can read it!

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  02:21:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Don't worry, I will do more testing before I implement more CSS. I really had no idea it was so bad for some people. I looked at the site with a variety of browsers and operating systems and it looked fine on all of them. Perhaps I can do some more end user testing next time to work out things like that.

Oh, avatars seem to be OK now.

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  02:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I'm curious...does the site seem any faster?

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  03:38:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Hi...
Two problems.
First, I had to get a new password to sign in. I don't know if I forgot my password, or what. I've been logging in automatically since the begining. Just this time my PC didn't remember the password.
Second, about a half an hour ago or more--just before 4:00am--I couldn't get on this site. It was loading incredibly slow. Not to brag, but there aren't too many home PC's faster and with more and faster memory than mine, and I use high speed cable. Plus, other sites would come up as fast as I can click the mouse button. Does that mean anything?

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  03:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I was doing major upgrades a while ago and moved the forum back to it's original directory. How does the speed compare now? Is it still slow or was that temporary? Other sites share the server so if it was temporary there are lots of possibilities as to why. Have you noticed the timer at the bottom of the page? The times I see are anywhere from .03 seconds on up to .7 for a big page. I don't have a supercomputer. Just fast DSL.

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  04:02:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Okay, I'll try again.

Third post. First two not here.

Had to get new password. Always logged in automatically. Maybe, both me and my 'puter forgot the password, even though I use the same one for all news groups.

Navigated the site for a second or two, then got really slow, or page said that it couldn't find this site. Several tries--saqme thing.

In case it matters, I use IE 6.0, high speed cable, router, and very fast high end 'puter with tons of high speed memory.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  04:04:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Okay, looks good and timer says 0.2 secs.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  04:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Passwords underwent a major change during the upgrade. They are now encrypted in the database and in your cookie. Before they were not. You needed to log in again in the worst way. I'm sorry that it's inconvenient but security is a big part of what this upgrade is about.

I'm not sure why the site died then. I am guessing it was either a server reboot or maybe they restarted the ASP service or something like that.

.2 seconds I can live with. Let's hope it was just a temporary thing. I like those much more than their permanent brethren.

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  04:13:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
OK, logged in again and the process timed at .08. Looks pretty darned good to me.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  21:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
I am also sad to report that the process is going to mean losing all existing polls.

Darn.....

Oh hey, I'm in....!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  22:18:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
@tomic,

I am going to be setting up a forum for a group of people in the near future and I wanted to go with forum software that:

a) had good features
b) was relatively easy to manage (I have to pass the responsibility to someone else at some point)

and most importantly
c) is free :)

So I was looking into Snitz. Do you like it? Do you have any tips/suggestions/warnings before I start to put this thing together? Thank you much!

-Terry
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  23:12:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Snitz is excellent! Not only that but I have a tremendous amount of experience working with it and actually author many modifications to the the base software so I can provide you with excellent support which is sometimes more valuable than the actual product.
But there are probably other options out there you could try like Yahoo Groups etc so it really just depends on exactly what you want to do.

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  03:03:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Man, it's doing it again. I wonder if this will come up. Must be me.

This time I couldn't get the Active Topics pages-- said no active topics found. I came to here no problem, clicked reply and it did it again. Way slow or 'Page not found.' Same thing yesterday afternoon.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  20:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
I notice that this happened at approximately the same time of day. I am guessing it's routine maintenance or something someone runs on a site that's CPU intensive at that time of day. I could be wrong but the time coincidence is strong enough to make a guess.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.